Skip to main content
Topic: Coachman Visit (Read 349 times) previous topic - next topic
Coachman Visit
No, nothing to do with Coachman RV’s.  Had a nice couple of days visit to our community campground with Mike and Elizabeth.  Extremely nice and interesting people, a visit we thoroughly enjoyed and hope to repeat sometime in the future.  Even got a signed copy of Elizabeth's book!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Coachman Visit
Reply #1
It's always fun and interesting to meet with active Forum members, face to face.
I had lunch with Mike and Elizabeth last Thursday, not too far from the Mothership.
We had a very nice visit, what an interesting couple, they have traveled widely in a series of RVs. Well seasoned travelers.
Hope to see them again in Florida or maybe Newfoundland, who knows?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
We throughly enjoyed visiting with y'all and had a great time discussing (among other things) our RV travel stories. The California rural scenery is spectacular. Even our overnight stay at the small Chino Hills State Park campground was beautiful and quiet. One wouldn't know it was in the center or a vast urban area. (see photo). Later we were staying at the beautiful campground in Bear Valley Springs as appreciative guest of the Harveys. (photo). Now we are at my high school friends ranch in San Luis Obispo. (photo) He says that the hill in the background of the photo is an extinct volcano. Another beautiful camp. 
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #3
"He says that the hill in the background of the photo is an extinct volcano."
---
Volcanic "plugs". "Nine Sisters" and Morro Rock are well-known features in SLO County.

Morro Rock - Wikipedia
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
If I’m correct in where I think Mike is, his photo is of Cerro Romauldo, the same peak that is adjacent to where I used to work at San Luis Obispo County Communications.  Hiking access is available, with permission from the base commander, through Camp San Luis Obispo which is a California national guard base.  Live fire exercises are conducted about halfway up the mountain by the base and the SLO County Sheriff’s Dept., so you definitely want permission!

Cerro Romauldo - Wikipedia

Exploring the Nine Sisters - San Luis Obispo County Visitors Guide
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
We stayed one night at Chino Hills State Park in February 2018 after having some work done at the factory.  As I recall there were only a couple of other campers there.  About 8 pm we heard the very loud scream of a nearby animal that went on for about 15 minutes.   I guessed the animal was no more than a hundred feet from our rig.  We were very happy to be in our hard sided RV and not in a tent.  The next day we described what happened to a ranger and she was quite sure we heard the scream of a mountain lion.  Interesting that mountain lions live so close in to the city.

Cougar scream:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfnTdF7ja9E

Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        
1994 Multiplan (1997-2010)

Reply #6
We stayed one night at Chino Hills State Park in February 2018 after having some work done at the factory.  As I recall there were only a couple of other campers there.  About 8 pm we heard the very loud scream of a nearby animal that went on for about 15 minutes.   I guessed the animal was no more than a hundred feet from our rig.  We were very happy to be in our hard sided RV and not in a tent.  The next day we described what happened to a ranger and she was quite sure we heard the scream of a mountain lion.  Interesting that mountain lions live so close in to the city.

Cougar scream:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfnTdF7ja9E
We're not too far (as the crow flies) and there are mountain lions all around us.....

2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #7
"If I’m correct in where I think Mike is, his photo is of Cerro Romauldo"

Greg & Victoria, You are correct, it is the south side of Cerro Romauldo. Our friends ranch includes the south flank of the hill.
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #8
" Live fire exercises are conducted about halfway up the mountain by the base and the SLO County Sheriff’s Dept., so you definitely want permission!"

Yes, we do hear some weapons firing around the other side of the hill occasionally.  
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #9
You are correct, it is the south side of Cerro Romauldo. Our friends ranch includes the south flank of the hill.
A guy I used to work with at SLO County has a brother-in-law who owns part of Hollister Peak, the next "sister" to the northwest of Romauldo.  There's a nice panorama view on this page that shows their locations:

Nine Sisters - Wikipedia.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264