Skip to main content
Topic: seeking overcab construction details (rebuilding front left corner) (Read 397 times) previous topic - next topic
seeking overcab construction details (rebuilding front left corner)
Hello all!

Does anyone have any photos or schematics of the overcab wood frame? 

We had a leak in the front left corner that flooded that corner, leading to the entire nose on that corner rotting.  So rotten, I couldn't even make out what the construction looks like.  I'd rather not demo the other side to find out :)

Any other tips?  Somewhat concerning, is that it's difficult to understand what the structural design is that supports the overcab.  Is it just cantilevered and hung from the top?

Thanks!
1991 26.5' rear bath ONEDAZE

Re: seeking overcab construction details (rebuilding front left corner)
Reply #1
/Users/aoehlerking/Downloads/IMG_0114.JPG
/Users/aoehlerking/Downloads/IMG_0116.JPG
/Users/aoehlerking/Downloads/IMG_0110.JPG

Reply #2
don't think that first upload worked

Reply #3
There are some new build construction photos in the Gallery but I think they are mostly exterior shots.  Perhaps someone can help?

Welcome to the forum!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Here are the construction photos I have for the cab over section.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #5
Fantastic Kent!  These are super helpful!

Reply #6
Update!  Demo is just about done and I have a plan for the rebuild. The tough decision I’m making now is whether to replace *any* wood that has some water marks but doesn’t appear rotten.

The way they build these(inside out) has made demo interesting. I’ve added an oscillating multi tool ($59 Worx from Lowe’s) and it was critical to cutting out the rot without having to rip/tear/crowbar boards out.

Definitely trying to avoid completely taking the window out.

Hell or high water we hit the road for Denver in 2 weeks!

Reply #7
Hi AO;  Good to see pictures. Since it is all open, now is a good time to use a 'soak in' sealer on the wood that is there. I'd use something like a rot preventative like RotFix | Penetrating Epoxy Wood Sealer – System Three Resins      . After it soaks in and dries a bit I would use Kilz over that.  Use a water proof glue, polyurethane is good. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-8-oz-Wood-Glue-62000/100672167?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D24-G-D24-24_16_EXTERIOR_PAINT-Multi-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-FY21_Exterior_LIA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D24-G-D24-24_16_EXTERIOR_PAINT-Multi-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-FY21_Exterior_LIA-71700000075826640-58700006498654201-92700058683660069&gclid=CjwKCAjw_JuGBhBkEiwA1xmbRUA_6ATeeAL6n9HFHekzccgKOtKqBQmUEJuskt06Q9K3gxLkc94lPBoCOngQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.
   Remember to find the leak where water is getting in, or you will just be doing this again.   RonB 
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #8
I’m facing something similar for the right side cab corner. How do you plan to finish it off? Will you run a new panel across the front, around the window and over the ceiling?  I’ve been hesitant to open the wall without knowing how to rebuild it all again. More pictures please as you progress and how you treat and rebuild it.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #9
I’ve been hesitant to open the wall without knowing how to rebuild it all again. More pictures please as you progress and how you treat and rebuild it.

The photos Kent posted show how the framing in the front bunk is constructed, it's isn't very complicated.
I use vinyl, hollow bead welting to trim the edges when installing the new paneling. There are plastic trim pieces that can be used to cover joints between the original panels and new panels if needed.

25 ft White 1/4" Hollow Bead Welt Vinyl Trailer RV Cabinet Wall Corner Trim...

3/4" x 12' Plastic T-Molding, White - Wood Moldings And Trims - Amazon.com

In the past, I was able to buy matching paneling from LD. Paneling from HD, or from some other big box store, can be used and painted to match.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
I have the same situation as SoCal-Gal in my '91. The previous owner said it was the result of an A/C leak.  He had installed a new unit, and I have not seen any wet there in the 2+ years I've owned her.  I hate looking at it but have been afraid to open it as well, since I'm clueless about how to go about it.  Larry, thanks for the tips.
Not all who wander are lost...

1991 22' RL

Reply #11
Not 100% sure on the rebuild yet but will
Likely do it in a couple phases. Phase 1: minimal to get ready for roadtrip in a couple weeks. Phase 2: finish entire can off properly.

Phase 1:  I bought a panel for the front corner and will instal it when I rebuild the left side wood frame. I’m considering doing the wall with Tyvek home wrap over the frame, then cedar boards.

Reply #12
When any member opens up the front cab, to remove and repair rot, please post some photos.
It's educational for us to see where leaks occur and what happens when they do occur, tis may lead to some tips from those who have previously repaired their own or other's LDs.

A few tips. When removing rot, wear a high-grade mask (N95) to keep from inhaling mold and dust. Vacuum the area thoroughly and wipe or spray the area afterward with a bleach solution, to kill mold spores.
Take photos of what remains after removing the paneling but before removing the rotted wood framing inside the wall, it can be helpful when replacing the framing.

Have fun
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze