Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing window fuzzy track (Read 299 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing window fuzzy track
My dinette window has a terrible rattle while I drive.  The fuzzy track in which it slides is completely worn out and the window rattles in the track.

I obtained the replacement fuzzy track part number from Todd at the factory (Lippert Part number 753784) and purchased 10 feet of it from the manufacturer at Duncan Systems (a company owned by Lippert).  574-537-8900, ask for Duncan Systems.

Has anyone done this job already?  The original fuzzy track is reluctant to come out and I don't want to break anything as I work with a screwdriver to remove it.  Is it glued in or do I just have to use more persuasion?  I'm leaving on a trip to the Cascades in a few weeks and this is just one of the things on my maintenance list.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Re: Replacing window fuzzy track
Reply #1
Harold, I didn't find an illustration of the the fuzzy window track from Duncan/Lippert, and the product number didn't come up on the Duncan website. I don't know if my 2003 and your 2014 have the same windows - the window track in my rig has "keystone"-shaped holes spaced about every 3" - but is the fuzzy track you got from Duncan one of these pictured on the Steele website? If so, which one?

Steele Rubber Products - Windows

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Joan,
I couldn't find it on the Steele web site either, so I called Todd.  Todd said he tried to locate the part, but could only get the fuzzy track if he bought a bigger length (500 feet) than he wanted.  Originally, my 2014 windows were made by Hehr, which was later sold to Lippert, and the fuzzy track is now made by Duncan.  It took some time to find the correct part, but eventually they found it.
A rep named Jana was able to find it and send me the part.

It appears that the original material is cut with little wedges cut out to accommodate the corners.  It doesn't look like it will be a quick and easy fix, but it will get done.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #3
Thanks, Harold; I will keep the Duncan part number and contact information and hope that the window track for your 2014 and my 2003 are the same.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Harold

I look forward to reading your post-repair summary.

Good luck!

Warren
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #5
Warren,
Todd says that he gets so few requests for this part that he doesn't typically stock any.  If this is correct, I assume my worn piece is a fluke and yours won't wear out.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #6
FYI, I just used a bit of self-adhesive velcro, the side that is soft, not the spikey side, and put it in the window channel. It tightened everything up and I no longer have a rattle!

Harvey, the RV
1989 22' Front Lounge

Reply #7
We ordered and installed that material from the Factory 3 years.

This piece is pressed into the window slide/track area and the tension from the flat piece holds it in place when pushed into the track.   We also nudged the new window track under a tiny lip on the window frame which helps to hold it in place.  And of course the sliding window is now snug when closed.  I didn't take a picture.

Hope this helps.

Reply #8
As an addendum, the part can be ordered from Duncan Systems, a division of Lippert.  The original window was made by Hehr and that company was bought by Lippert.  The part still has the Hehr part number 753784, and telling this to the Duncan Systems people was confusing to them, but eventually they found it, labeled as such.

The window fuzzy track went in yesterday.  The old one crumbled and ripped as I took it out, so that part was easy. 
The new part arrived as a flat strip and had to be bent into a "U" shape.  The Hehr part 753784 is an exact replacement for the original piece.  Notches had to be cut into the edges so that it could bend through the window corners. I tried to replicate the notching in the old part.

Installation was straight-forward and the window seems to be tighter.  We will find out how well it worked when we make out next trip in two weeks.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #9
I didn't see that specific Hehr product/part number on this site, but this company does have a lot of Hehr window and door parts. A source of Hehr window parts in addition to Duncan could be a good "bookmark"; a call to ParKin would tell if they carry the Hehr "fuzzy track".

Hehr window parts, Hehr International parts, RV window parts, Trailer window...
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
I've been following this thread with interest because I've been trying to source the external track\frame gaskets for my rig. I followed the Steele Rubber link above, but they don't show a profile that matches. Per their recommendation, I sent an image of the profile to them a few days ago, so far no reply. I also followed the link Joan posted above and again can't find a matching gasket profile. If anyone has replaced these gaskets in the past, or recalls where I might find more information within the forum, please let me know. I've searched the forum, but may not be using terms that are getting helpful info. Thanks for any help!

Bill
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #12
Bill,
This is a longshot, but I wonder if you call 574-537-8900, ask for Duncan Systems, and then ask for Jana, if she can help you.  It took a while, but she found my part for me and the charge was trivial (a few dollars a foot).  Tell her that the window is a Hehr and that she found my slider felt (she calls it fuzzy track).  I am curious if the felt and the external track/frame gaskets may have been installed in conjunction with each other, and the correct felt may lead you to the correct gasket?

Jana was very helpful and did the digging required to find my part, contact the factory that now makes it, and ordered me a small (9 foot) piece drop shipped from the factory.  The entire thing was less than 30$, shipped to my house.
Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #13
Joan,

I forgot to mention I had been to the Pelland website (from a link I'd saved a couple of years ago). When I looked the other day, I somehow managed to overlook the very first gasket when I clicked on the link for 'Windows Seals and Tracks'. It looks a lot like mine. They do not provide overall height, nor the width of the portion that presses into the track. The top width looks correct. At over five dollars a foot, I want to know it's correct (I want to replace all of them). I called and talked to a helpful rep, but she surprisingly had no information on the other dimensions and they are out of stock for a couple weeks, so she can't measure. Some of the gaskets on the page are shown as Hehr, the one I mention here is not. Thank you for sharing the link and getting me back there to look again!

Harold,

Since Pelland is out of stock, and Steele doesn't show a gasket with a profile like mine, I will wait through the end of the week to see if I hear back from them. If not, I will see if Jana can help out. It would be nice to just get a PN that is known to be correct. Otherwise, even when Pelland does get the material back in stock, I'll ask them to send me a sample to verify it's right for the job before ordering 30'+. Thank you for the contact name. It's nice to be able to ask for someone known to be helpful.

I have a couple of my pieces held in place by small rubber o-rings wedged in between the gasket and the frame for now. On the road they would sometimes come out of the track and be waving in the breeze. I'm a bit surprised this problem isn't common, particularly on older rigs.

Bill
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL