Skip to main content
Topic: Removing the back-up camera from a 2014 mid bath (Read 352 times) previous topic - next topic
Removing the back-up camera from a 2014 mid bath
My back up camera is fogging up on the inside causing the monitor screen to be fuzzy when turned on...what is the easiest method of removing the camera. ASA Electronics will replace my camera after they check it out, Todd from LD says all I have to do is remove the rear paneling from the back of the unit....what is the easiest way to do that when everything is stapled in and no screws to remove? Needless to say I am perplexed.
Yes 2014 mid bath

Stan B.
2014 ?

Re: Removing the back-up camera from a 2014 mid bath
Reply #1
I don't have any advice on removing rear paneling (you may need to ask Todd for a more detailed explanation), but I do have experience with fogged rear-view cameras. See this page, about a third of the way down, for an important tip that can prevent a recurrence: in short, make certain there's a "drip loop" before the cable enters the camera.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Hi Stan B;    The storage cabinet above the back window, has the inside panel that forms the floor of the compartment. It has small phillips flat head screws around the edges that fasten it down. Inside you will find a connector for the camera, and (in my TK) a coil of a lot of excess wire.  You'll need to remove the caulking where the wire enters the wall, to get the connector through.
     Other MidBaths should have the screws instead of staples also. But maybe just the ones that got the camera from the factory.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
Thanks RonB. Just to be clear with what you’re saying, are you talking about the ‘back panel’ or the floor of the cabinet itself? If it’s the ‘back panel’ I’m assuming you have to remove those little tiny screw caps first…correct? If it’s the floor panel….they stapled the floor in instead of screwing it down, which is what they should have done to begin with along with making a small access panel to get to the rear of the camera in the event that you did have to remove it or replace it! Thanks for the info it is much appreciated
2014 ?

Reply #4
Hi Stan B;  The floor of the cabinet should be screwed down, not stapled.  If it is stapled, it isn't too hard to get the staples out. If they glued it before stapling it, That will be nearly impossible to get the panel out without shattering it. If you are lucky, they stapled it without glue.  The hole for the wire, going to the camera, was between the two panels making up the floor of the cabinet. That hollow floor has the two speakers in it. I added a florescent light fixture (Sunray) also above the table in my TK.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
Thanks to all who answered my call for help….I talked to Todd this morning, my cabinet floor is stapled and his advice was put a screw in to the floor and slowly lift the floor up…..if it breaks or gets destroyed then don’t worry I can measure the floor that is broke and he can cut a new piece …..for $10-20 ! Again thanks I’ll let all know of my success OR failures in this matter
2014 ?

Reply #6
SUCCESS! Flooring is out with no mishaps..I drilled in two screws near the cross bar in the flooring to slightly lift the floor so I could put a small screwdriver under it and slowly…very slowly lifted the floor up…away from the cross bars that hold them in place..
I’ll be using small screws to put them back down though. Thanks again to those people who answered up on my request👏👏👏👏👏
2014 ?

Reply #7
get pics!!
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #8
I thought I'd update all on my 'foggy lens' camera dilemma. I finally got my camera cable out of the tube that LD had put in, which BTW is oblong instead of using ONE piece of SOLID tubing they put in a piece that had to be "squeezed together" which made the removal almost impossible, which it was and I accidentally pulled the cable loose from it's plug not to mention that there is SO much silicone in the cable tube it's ridiculous. But I had explained that to ASA electronics beforehand and they replaced the camera anyway, they; by the way they seem to be an excellent company to deal with as far as their customer service is concerned. FYI if you have one of their "Voyager" back up cameras installed on your LD and it doesn't work properly...they'll replace it for free YOUR problem maybe getting the darned thing our of the unit, best of luck to you when you do...Anyhow I do appreciate the assistance that some of you gave me. Next week is my install .........OI VAY! if you need assistance in getting your camera out let me know I'll try to help, because when I called LD Todd seemed to be bothered by my questions (I'm guessing)! Thanks again, see travels
Stan....out
2014 ?

Reply #9
Some one asked for pictures....how do I do that???
2014 ?