Skip to main content
Topic: This is hypothetical, but close to being real: what would you do??? (Read 323 times) previous topic - next topic
This is hypothetical, but close to being real: what would you do???
Driving around in the Finger Lakes region of upper NY State. Lots of narrow streets and bridges, going over canals.  Just feet before the bridge, is a sign, "max weight 5 tons". Luckily, we were in the tow vehicle, but the RV Garmin didn't take us on  an alternative route. 

If you came across this in your rig while towing, would you:

A. Disconnect, block traffic and try to turn around on the VERY narrow street.
B. Disconnect, and go forward with one vehicle at a time (recognizing that your rig is over 5 tons, but guessing they understated the max weight). At least, your tow vehicle would stay dry if you guess wrong about the understating the max weight. 
C. Freeze with indecision and call CoachNet.
D. Trust the RV Garmin- it must be the sign that was wrong.
E. Other (please explain what you would do).

Wendy- having fun touring the East Coast

2002 MB

Re: This is hypothetical, but close to being real: what would you do???
Reply #1
Under what conditions would we cross a 5T bridge in our 7T LD?   1.  If a maniac was chasing us with an axe.   2.   The polar ice caps have melted and we’re trying to escape flood waters.  3.  Our adult children are following us and they want to borrow more money.  Otherwise, we ain’t crossing that bridge. 

Reply #2
"Driving around in the Finger Lakes region of upper NY State..."

:D  If that area worries you (I was born and raised there) do not go into Mass. or Conn.   :o    ::)

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Interesting question, Wendy. I would say A even as stressful as that might be. The other options could end up being even more stressful.

Does your Garmin have more than one profile setup, one for the RV and one for the toad? I noticed that the unit I just purchased has different modes available so I’m wondering if you were in the car mode, not the motorhome mode?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
I would say to do A, but I would probably just do B.

I don't tow a vehicle, but have gone on roads that say no vehicles over 4T. Usually they seem to just prevent RVs from parking in expensive neighborhoods, or traveling on already congested roads.

Only once have I been to a bridge in Pennsylvania where the weight really mattered. There were guards for it there to prevent overweight, but they actually let us through. It seems that they overdo the signs for safety buffer, but also you have to account that the amount on the sign is probably less than half of what the bridge can handle since there would be cars coming in both directions.
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #5
Well, I would try to avoid choice "A" by not trusting the GPS and checking locally for current conditions before taking certain roads. GPS road suggestions can be inaccurate (to say the least!), and trusting them can lead one into an inconvenient and/or dangerous situation.

Also, I would not cross a bridge that was "rated" for less than my vehicle's actual weight; even that limit was likely set under optimum conditions (and) when the bridge was built, and its condition may well have deteriorated since that time.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Greg, you are correct that it is easy to switch the Garmin from towing to car mode. However, it was in RV towing mode when we saw the canal bridge sign, and then talked about what we would have done if we had actually been towing at the time. Happily, we didn't have to make such a decision, but concluded that we'd rather tie up traffic- for safety but also partly to express our annoyance that the sign was placed so close to the bridge, without leaving an alternate route!
2002 MB

Reply #7
I like the way you think, Wendy!  I guess we need to take the Garmin directions with a grain of salt, as Joan mentioned.

Greg
What, me worry?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8
I use a Garmin GPS made for Truckers (DEZL 780). It is set up to think I am a big bus.

I have my rig height set to 12 ft (over a foot extra), 30 ft long and my weight as 20,000 lbs. So fas so good. It warns me of curves in the road, wants me to stop at railroad tracks, and suggests food and fuel stops along the way.

I also use Google Maps on my phone but give the Garmin priority. The weird thing is that, since it thinks I'm a bus, sometimes it thinks there are roads I may not want to take because trucks and busses don't normally use those roads. I'm at a COE park now and the GPS didn't like the entrance road.

The Garmin uses and female voice and Google uses a male voice so I know which one I want to pay attention to. :-)
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #9
There are some bridges in Mississippi that used to be rated 55 ton. They just took one of the 5's off and and called it good.
My buddy has a 42' Winnebago that is 55,000 lbs. He ran across a couple of them recently on a trip south.
The first one he was too close and at high enough speed to have to continue. All was fine but it scared him.
The next one he decided to unhook his toad and turn around.
The infrastructure is crumbling and getting worse every year. Instead of fixing it, they just reduce the limit on bridges and hope nobody gets killed.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #10
Probably A, but NEVER D!
Linda Hylton