Skip to main content
Topic: Ringing Noise (Read 210 times) previous topic - next topic
Ringing Noise
My 2002 30' IB has developed a ringing noise since I got it painted last year.  The sound starts at around 40 MPH and can get very loud on the freeway.  It is intermittent and I believe it may be related to the level of crosswind on the road.  Sometimes it goes away for hours and other times it can be very persistent.
The noise is on the drivers side.  It feels like it is coming from the door pillar, floor area or sometimes from the left side cabinet.
Any ideas?  Any help is appreciated as I'm now prepping to sell.

Re: Ringing Noise
Reply #2
"The sound starts at around 40 MPH and can get very loud on the freeway."

So, it appears to be speed related? I would check to see if anything has come loose inside your wheel simulators, first on drivers side and then perhaps passenger side!   :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Is anything hanging down that can touch the driveshaft?
Driveshafts, when tapped, can make ringing noises.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
"The noise is on the drivers side.  It feels like it is coming from the door pillar, floor area or sometimes from the left side cabinet."

Understanding that noises can be perceived differently by many of us, without actually hearing the noise, any thoughts are pure guesses. Here is one possibility for you to check. Our 2003 Midbath had a noise that sounded "metalic" coming from the kitchen area but only under certain circumstances; say it was windy out or a semi would be passing us on the driver's side. The stove is on the driver's side and our problem noise turned out to be the flapper (the metal flap is supposed to block the vent inside the range hood and open when you turn on the fan.) When wind would hit that side of the rig, the flapper would start hitting other metal pieces.

The solution was to reattach the flapper to the hood. Turns out that Lazy Daze used duct tape to create a hinged mounting of the flapper to the hood. It was challenging to reach and I ended up loosening the fan to reach in there to reattach the flapper with new tape. I also added tape to the edge of the opening to muffle the noise.

Good luck with the sale of your rig.

Steve K.

Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #5
Finding noises can be a nightmare, they can be hard to pinpoint, many noises cannot be found easily.
Some shops use a device, with many microphones (up to twelve) connected to a box with a selector switch and a headphone.
The microphones are placed throughout the area where the noise seems to come from. A test drive allow the tech to switch from microphone to microphone, listening to see if any of the microphones detects the noise. Adjusting the location of the microphones allow the tech to pinpint the noise in most cases.
It’s one of those tools Ihave always wanted but the price scared me away, the newest models are Bluetooth enable, losing the wires makes them much easier to use. Maybe in my next life.

Has the OP tried having an assistant search for the noise while the rig is driven? With hundreds of possibilities, we may never guess the source, more information is needed.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze