Skip to main content
Topic: Wait 10 years to replace tires? (Read 203 times) previous topic - next topic
Wait 10 years to replace tires?
I sent this publication an email telling them 6 years maximum.
I suggested they either take this article down or edit it and that Consumer Reports was giving dangerous advice.

Even if you haven’t gotten much out of the current tires, Consumer Reports says to replace all of the tires at 10 years of age.

Consumer Reports Tire Tips for RV Travel
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Wait 10 years to replace tires?
Reply #1
Goodyear's G159 tire has not been produced since 2003 (sold until 2005), and the tire in question was in a size 275/70R22.5. The G159 was apparently not designed as an appropriate application for RVs, and Goodyear apparently was badly remiss at owning up to the dangers, but if one is still driving around on any brand or size of tires that are 16-18 years old, they're flat nuts.

The information in this article (with the tacked on G159 stuff and a segue into a You Tube video by Changing Lanes) was taken from the Motor Biscuit website; the author of the article apparently excerpted selected information from a CU article and incorporated it into her piece, then tacked on a Twitter comment and video.

I certainly think it's a very bad idea to run 10-year old tires on any vehicle, let alone an RV, but I suggest that there is a possibility for confusion and misinformation from sources which aren't carefully vetted for bias/vested interest, currency, and accuracy.

RV tires, even high quality tires in appropriate applications, are subject to a tremendous amount of stress; heat, overloading, underinflation, UV exposure, road hazards...all affect the safe life of one's "rig feet". RV tire sidewalls are particularly vulnerable to wear and stress, and tread can be worn unevenly and prematurely if the tires are consistently over or under-inflated, overloaded, or the RV is poorly aligned.

This PDF from Michelin may be helpful, but note that Michelin also offers 10 years as the outside limit for RV tire age, while offering the disclaimer (aka, CYA) that tires should be checked by a "qualified professional" after 5 years. Is is even possible for an RV tire to have a safe service life of 10 years? Maybe, under optimal conditions and a lot of luck, but, IMO, a perfect world for RV tire longevity is the stuff of unicorns.

https://www.tiretraker.com/michelin.pdf

YMMV, for sure!

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
"...your link is dated 2014."

:D   Well, if this is 'new' I see their recommendation is still ten years. And if their illustration of Tire Code shows 0316 (third week of 2016) even that is not far off from Joan's 2014.   ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Thanks, Greg; appreciate the updated link!
2003 TK has a new home