Skip to main content
Topic: Radio Antenna Booster (Read 282 times) previous topic - next topic
Radio Antenna Booster
I have researched this and am not satisfied with the results. (No insult meant, but I have learned the hard way that Chinese products are generally not reliable). Any help would be appreciated. TY.
LD 22', 1989 Custom Build. Chassis 1990 Chevy Van G30, 5.7l.

Re: Radio Antenna Booster
Reply #1
I have researched this and am not satisfied with the results. (No insult meant, but I have learned the hard way that Chinese products are generally not reliable). Any help would be appreciated. TY.
Perhaps a clear description of exactly what you are trying to boost radio-wise and what you have ruled out so far (and why) would help us respond. 🙂

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
May I offer a suggestion? This is the second time in recent memory that you've posted a question with almost no useful information that would allow anyone here to help.

Imagine if I emailed you to say "My engine sounds funny. What's wrong?" Before you could even begin to answer, you'd want to know which engine--car or motorhome--and what it sounded like, and what it was doing when it made that sound, and so on.

In short, people here are very willing to help. But before we can help, we need something to go on. You can help us help you, if you think before posting, "What would I want to know if somebody were asking me this question?" In this case, what radio are you talking about boosting? What kind of antenna? In your research, what were you unsatisfied with, and why?
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Perhaps a clear description of exactly what you are trying to boost radio-wise and what you have ruled out so far (and why) would help us respond. 🙂

Chris

I am trying to boost the incoming signal strength. For example, I am not receiving any am stations.  This is a new install.

Reply #4

I am trying to boost the incoming signal strength. For example, I am not receiving any am stations.  This is a new install.
Seems to me the antenna on the roof should do a great job compared to the little ones on cars now a days. I would say to make sure the antenna system is properly working, but maybe you are receiving FM great. If so maybe the AM in the radio is bad.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #5
May I offer a suggestion? This is the second time in recent memory that you've posted a question with almost no useful information that would allow anyone here to help.

Imagine if I emailed you to say "My engine sounds funny. What's wrong?" Before you could even begin to answer, you'd want to know which engine--car or motorhome--and what it sounded like, and what it was doing when it made that sound, and so on.

In short, people here are very willing to help. But before we can help, we need something to go on. You can help us help you, if you think before posting, "What would I want to know if somebody were asking me this question?" In this case, what radio are you talking about boosting? What kind of antenna? In your research, what were you unsatisfied with, and why?

You are correct in your suggestion and I will be a lot more informative in the future. I just installed a new radio and the FM reception is quite distorted. AM is nowhere to be 'found'. New install is Dual XDMA760 CD receiver. My vehicle does not have an actual physical antenna. My goal is to boost the incoming signal....somehow. Hopefully this is more helpful.

Reply #6

You are correct in your suggestion and I will be a lot more informative in the future. I just installed a new radio and the FM reception is quite distorted. AM is nowhere to be 'found'. New install is Dual XDMA760 CD receiver. My vehicle does not have an actual physical antenna. My goal is to boost the incoming signal....somehow. Hopefully this is more helpful.
It would seem to me that your antenna connections or cable is bad. A booster would just bring in more junk noise if it is that bad. Unless you are really far from any radio stations.
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #7
I forgot to mention that sometimes when a radio is replaced it gets connected to the original antenna cable which goes to the cut off antenna on the fender instead of the one LD added to the roof.
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #8
My factory-installed Pioneer unit has always lacked AM reception, while performing well on FM. There is one common antenna connection for AM and FM. It is on my list to figure out some day…
2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Reply #9
My vehicle does not have an actual physical antenna.

I’m not clear if you are talking about the LD or another vehicle.  If it’s the LD and no physical antenna, then there’s your problem.  The radio needs an antenna and preferably an external antenna so the signal can get through the aluminum skin.  If it’s another vehicle that didn’t come with an external antenna, then it probably has a windshield antenna.  A very thin wire or conductive surface that runs around and near the edge of the windshield.  In that case, you either have a bad/loose connection at the radio or a break in the coax cable or the windshield antenna itself.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #10
Two of my cars have the AM and FM antennas embedded inside the rear window. You can see it in addition to the defogger heating elements.  FM will work pretty well with almost no antenna. I replaced my trucks antenna with a screw, so I wouldn't need to unscrew the antenna going through a carwash.
   If you are talking Lazy Daze, the external lead in is from the roof antenna, and you won't get any reception for AM, and almost no FM without it being connected.   I know LD just sawed off the antenna that came from Ford. I don't know if they also removed the wire lead in from the chassis.  More modern LD's have just a rubber plug in the fender hole.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #11
yeah it really sounds like the cab antenna got plugged in instead of the one that's in the roof.

Attached is a photo I took when replacing my radio. With the red circle you can see the cab antena cable, and with the green circle that's the roof antenna cable.

Either that or something got disconnected on the antena cable line....

Was it working before with the old radio?
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #12
It would seem to me that your antenna connections or cable is bad. A booster would just bring in more junk noise if it is that bad. Unless you are really far from any radio stations.

Is there a solution for this?

Reply #13
I forgot to mention that sometimes when a radio is replaced it gets connected to the original antenna cable which goes to the cut off antenna on the fender instead of the one LD added to the roof.

I do not have a radio roof antenna. I imagine I can add one?

Reply #16
Hi;  The very earliest LD about 1970's may have used the original antenna mount on the fender. After the CB radio became standard, both antennas came standard on the roof.  The CB antenna was next to the escape hatch on the driver side, and the radio antenna (on my TK) is slightly aft, still on the driver side, but close to the wall separating the cabover from the rear of the motorhome. I suspect that the cable runs down that wall to the floor of the cabover bed, runs over to the 'A' pillar and down, to under the dash and over to the radio.  It could also run down to the floor aft of the driver door, and through the step well to under the dash.
  Not impossible, but you could run a new antenna by that route now,   By far the best location for an AM/FM antenna is on the roof.  A spring at the base is a good feature, and on the driver side to avoid trees as much as possible.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB