Skip to main content
Topic: In Memoriam - Ken Fears (Read 1070 times) previous topic - next topic
In Memoriam - Ken Fears
I’m very sorry to say that Ken Fears, a long-time member of our group, has died of heart failure. Ken retired from his career as a traffic engineer in 2008, bought a Lazy Daze midbath, and went on the road, boondocking and staying in state parks in the West and Midwest. Having overcome polio as a child, he became an avid outdoorsman, canoeing, hiking, scuba diving, and climbing. In recent years, post-polio syndrome limited his endurance, but he stayed active until the end.

Ken was an active contributor to this group, and his suggestions were always well thought out and clearly explained. He was a natural-born teacher, and many of us learned a lot from his posts—for example, his excellent “Getting Started” primer for new RVers.

I’ll miss Ken as a good friend, and all of us will miss his generous advice and assistance.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Sad news: Ken Fears has passed away
Reply #1
So sad to hear!  RIP

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
So sorry to hear of the loss of Ken Fears. I have recently read many of Ken's excellent posts.  I never met him, but I truly am grateful for his knowledgeable and creative contributions to this forum. Ken will be missed.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #3
Andy, that was a really wonderful explanation
 of Ken Fears, a man well revered in this group and I am sure he was held in high esteem in everything he participated in.
 Thank you.
mar 🌴❤️🌺
Current 1 and only: 2003 LD Mid Bath 26.5
2017 Winnebago Minnie Winnie TT
2011 Dutchman Colorado 32' TT
2011 iCamp 14' TT
1985 Coachman Catalina 32' RV

Reply #4
What terrible and devastating news.   Ken loved this LDO Neighborhood so much.   It felt like Family to him.  And our LDO Neighborhood has lost a very special person.  Rest In Peace Ken Fears … I’m not going to forget you or any of the many times you helped us.   : (

Reply #5
I did not meet Ken in person, but we corresponded on a broad variety of topics frequently over the past few year; I feel his loss deeply.

Ken had a resilient and determined, yet accepting,  outlook on life; despite many health constraints, he maintained a positive attitude. Ken was a skilled and creative photographer and woodworker, and very knowlegeable on so many aspects of LDs and RVing. He was always patient and helpful, and willing to take the time to explain and educate. Ken had a wry sense of humor, and told some really goofy jokes!

One of Ken’s favorite photography subjects was a sunset; his photos shared the beauty of colors and forms and promise of another day. I’m so sorry that there weren’t more.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
What can I say that hasn’t already been said? I have much respect for Ken and will miss his presence on the forum. RIP.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
I am astounded and mournful! I never expected to hear this news about Ken. Being a genealogist I've often wondered how he came by that surname, but did not want to intrude. Goodbye Ken, all of us here will miss you.   :-\ 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
So very sad to hear of his passing, was hoping to meet him in Wyoming once I get on the road in two years.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #9
Thank you so much, Andy. Ken will be greatly missed.

He was a wonderful bud to me, always ready to help out. He'd drive a couple hours to troubleshoot an electrical problem here, or solve a plumbing problem there, take me on hikes to wonderful places, show me an out-of-the-way canyon that I'd never even heard of, tell me stories about the places in nature that he loved, and so much more.

Here are a few photos. The first is Ken with his smile that would light up a room. He had put together a contraption to help me winterize my rig's water system.We made two trips to the hardware store to get all the appropriate parts.  It was hard for him to get up off the floor by this time, but he did so cheerfully and with that grin. 

The second photo was taken after I mentioned that I'd always wanted to learn how to rappel. It was on my bucket list and he said, "I can teach you that!!!" And he proceeded to do just that, including sessions on knot-tying every knot we would ever need, how to set anchors, how to belay for another person, and of course the actual rappelling itself. Wow.  In the photo, he was coiling up the long rope we had used to rappel and he said he still had the muscle memory to do it fast. I'm sure he could have done it blind.

The third photo is Ken's rig and car at my daughter's place in Colorado. That was the last time I got to see him; by that time he wasn't feeling well at all. He really enjoyed getting to take a break for several days there, surrounded by beauty. We ate outside because of the pandemic, in the chill mountain air, and he was happy as a clam.

What a guy!
--
Jan Forseth
2007 27' Midbath named Footloose

Reply #10
The Captain and I are quite stunned and very sad to learn that Ken has died.  We were lucky enough to meet him while we were in Albuquerque one time and he was an interesting person and a gracious host.  His willingness to share his experiences in their many forms with this group was really quite kind.  Even though we are now off the road and not in need of his LD/road knowledge, he will remain with us in spirit.

TinaP
Former Owner of "Wild Thing"
2006 MB Gray

2006 MB

Reply #11
Oh my!  Sorry to hear about Ken.  We met him two years ago when he helped straighten my warped side entry door - see attached picture.  It was a great experience talking with him.
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #12
RIP Ken, you will be missed :'(
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #13
I am sorry to hear of Ken's passing. I learnt alot from Ken's posts on this forum. He always seemed so willing to help and patient with our questions
2007 MB

Reply #14
So sorry to hear of Ken’s passing.  He will be missed, RIP Ken.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #15
Elizabeth & I met Ken several years ago when we stopped in at Abiquiu Reservoir for several days. Ken was there as was several other LD owners, including Andrea Eagles. I enjoyed sitting with Ken discussing everything Lazy Daze. Since then we have on occasion spoken on the phone and of course corresponded on this group site. Yes, Ken will be missed.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #16
The passing of Ken is very upsetting news. I did not meet Ken in person, but we corresponded via the Lazy Daze Owners Group. This site is an awesome resource, and the posts by Ken will definitely be missed.
Sam

Reply #17
Reading the comments and looking at the photos in this thread, our Eulogy to Ken, I'd like to tag him with the moniker: 'Jury Rig Jack'.   ;)   ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #18
I was shocked when I read the news of Ken’s passing. The image of him working on Glenn’s coach door came immediately to mind.

Sudden endings to wonderful people are always too sad to believe.

Bless us all. Life is fragile and often much too short.

Rest In Peace Ken
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #19
While  in the Teton’s Gros Ventre campground four years ago Ken introduced himself. Unfortunately we both were in the process of moving on, Ken had used up his 14 days and was headed a few miles north to boondocking country. He filled us in on Andy Baird’s defection from Lazy Daze, an interesting discussion to say the least. ;>) As we departed the campground Ken was doing what he does best, helping a fellow camper with equipment failure.

Rest in Peace Ken
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #20
This breaks my heart.  I loved his posts!
2005 RB

Reply #21
Always hoped I'd meet him somewhere someday.  Will miss is posts, and meeting him in person.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #22
We also hoped to meet Ken one day out somewhere.  His insight is Golden.

Karen~Liam
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #23
I learned so much from his posts. We have lost a giant. 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #24
I am sorry for the loss. Although I do not know him as so many if you do, I have learned from reading the information he shared.
2002 TK 24ft