Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator on Propane Won't Stay Lit (Read 302 times) previous topic - next topic
Refrigerator on Propane Won't Stay Lit
Hi    On way home from Florida and recently noticed the refrigerator works fine on shore power but once unplugged and goes over to gas after 30-60 sec light for check goes on. Fuse in panel looks good, checked board and seems getting power. Any ideas, have a 2017 MB.  Thanks
2017 MB

Re: Refrigerator on gas
Reply #1
The 'Check' light means the gas flame won't stay lit. That occurred to me the other day and the cause was some debris was on the burner preventing a good flame. Sometimes it can be some small flakes of chimney rust or just what blows in from the road. Try taking an air hose and throughly blow out the burner area and all under the box. That worked for me.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #2
I concur with Mike. Spiders sometimes investigate the propane burner (propane can apparently attracts spiders) and leave silk and other contaminants.  The same thing can happen to the hot water heater.
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #3
Thanks so much, tomorrow’s project 👍
2017 MB

Reply #4
Hi Molly, Was the propane turned off at the tank recently?   If the propane lines have air get into the lines, it can take awhile for propane to get back to the refrigerator burner in the correct proportion to burn.  Depending on your floorplan in relation from the tank to your refrigerator, and the routing of the lines; you can just relight it a few times. Turn the refrigerator on, it will spark a few times then turn on the check light. Turn it off and on a few times, it should eventually relight ok. You might want to check with a stove burner that you aren't out of propane, and that the tank is turned on. 
    Once I had trouble getting my refrigerator to light. I opened the access panel, and there was a large spider sitting on the burner.  Propane is odorless, but the ethyl mercaptan used to odorize gas does attract insects.  So I lit the burner by hand with a lighter.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
We were working on a similar problem today.  Our refrigerator works fine on shore power, but would not stay lit on propane. The burner had a consistent blue flame, but it would shut off after 30 seconds. We checked the LP, it was fine. We sanded the burner and the gas feeder tube with some fine sand paper and cleaned the area. That seemed to solve the problem for us. If that doesn't do it for you, you may need a new control board, but that's a last resort.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Re: Refrigerator on Propane Won't Stay Lit
Reply #6
Well I used compressed air and cleaned out as best I could with no good results. Noted no clicking trying to ignite. Friend thinks must be board. Makes sense. Thanks all
2017 MB

Reply #7
To order a board, you will need the model and serial numbers. Most have them inside the refrigerator but mine were on the outside back on the far left side. Bummer if you have to get a new board.  If you can order it yourself you will save $$. Let us know how it turns out.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #9
I just spoke with the RV service technician yesterday and it seems the problem is not the board but the gas valve not opening. They are ordering a new valve and offered to put the domestic board back in but I hear the dinosaur board is better so I’ll keep it in.
2017 MB

Reply #10
"...the problem is not the board but the gas valve not opening."
---
If you have the owner's manual for the refrigerator, you might want to look at the exploded view diagram of the parts, and ask the service person to identify the part that s/he refers to as the "gas valve".

This link contains useful information on RV refrigerators.

Service/User manual Downloads – RV Refrigeration Repair

2003 TK has a new home