Skip to main content
Topic: The wall between the kitchen and bath (Read 408 times) previous topic - next topic
The wall between the kitchen and bath
Before I attempt to mount these baskets I wanted to make sure there were no water or electrical lines in the mid-bath wall.

Anyone know?

It is a double wall... correct?

ON EDIT: Just spoke with Todd. Yes it is a hollow wall and he's pretty sure there is no electrical or water there however he said he'd confirm and email me in a couple of hours.
2021 Mid Bath

Re: The wall between the kitchen and bath
Reply #1
Pretty sure there is no water there, not sure about electrical.  You may also want to ask him about the wall on the other side (between the oven area and fridge) while you’re at it. Folks like to hang stuff on that side as well.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
"...no water or electrical lines in the mid-bath wall."

That wall is essentially the same as my 30'. I have an acrylic set of shelves mounted on that wall. I seem to remember that I used very short screws there, although I've used double sided 'Dual Lock' on many such applications. See: iTapeStore.com.

At any rate you will no doubt find water lines that are common to both sides but they will be lower than the two sinks. Look under your kitchen sink to see what I'm saying!  :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
"...no water or electrical lines in the mid-bath wall."

That wall is essentially the same as my 30'. I have an acrylic set of shelves mounted on that wall. I seem to remember that I used very short screws there, although I've used double sided 'Dual Lock' on many such applications. See: iTapeStore.com.

At any rate you will no doubt find water lines that are common to both sides but they will be lower than the two sinks. Look under your kitchen sink to see what I'm saying!  :o
Todd confirmed there isn't anything in that wall.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #4

I may be a bit late but there is a similar Command Strip shelf that would not require screws in the wall. I use 3 of these in my MB bathroom.

Command Shower Caddy

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #5
I may be a bit late but there is a similar Command Strip shelf that would not require screws in the wall. I use 3 of these in my MB bathroom.

Command Shower Caddy

I saw those but two things. 
We like the baskets we have better and the Command strips don't stick very well to the vinyl wallpaper I've read.

I think for the shower they'd be real nice.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #6
I'll see how this goes.

I was careful to snug the screws and not over tighten them.

2021 Mid Bath

Reply #7
Looks good!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9

Hi Ted;  Well more permanent steel expanding anchors in the wall:  RV Thin Wall Anchor Mount Anchor - Repair RV Wall Screw Failure | eBay  The bad part is they leave a big hole when removed.
    I've used these for the RV. Not as big a hole when removed.  TOGGLER Toggle TA Hollow-Door Anchor with Screws, Polypropylene, Made in US,...     RonB

RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #10
Hi Ted;  Well more permanent steel expanding anchors in the wall:  RV Thin Wall Anchor Mount Anchor - Repair RV Wall Screw Failure | eBay  The bad part is they leave a big hole when removed.
    I've used these for the RV. Not as big a hole when removed.  TOGGLER Toggle TA Hollow-Door Anchor with Screws, Polypropylene, Made in US,...     RonB

I like that polypropylene anchor.
I wonder if the hollow space in that wall is wide enough for them to fit?

I could get these as a backup plan.

Scratch that.
I just ordered these along with a set tool.

Amazon.com: Hillman 59126 Short Jack Nuts (1/4"-20) - 15 Pieces: Home...

Amazon.com: The Hillman Group 44007 1/4-20 x 3/4-Inch Button Socket Cap...
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #11
Hi Ted; I think you'll find that the 1/4" x 20 anchor is way more than you need.  One of the reviewers said it needed a 1/2" hole just to insert it. Lazy Daze walls are generally about 1-1/4" thick, you can start to collapse the 'nut' after it is partly inside the wall.  They do have a tendency to want to spin inside the wall as they are collapsing. I couldn't see if this version had the 'non-spin' ears on it.  I suggest you try these on a 1/8" piece of scrap plywood first.  I would have gone for the 6-32, or 8-32.  More than strong enough to support your baskets compared to what the wall can support in weight.  Button head (hex) stainless screws are available down to really small sizes.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #12
Hi Ted; I think you'll find that the 1/4" x 20 anchor is way more than you need.  One of the reviewers said it needed a 1/2" hole just to insert it. Lazy Daze walls are generally about 1-1/4" thick, you can start to collapse the 'nut' after it is partly inside the wall.  They do have a tendency to want to spin inside the wall as they are collapsing. I couldn't see if this version had the 'non-spin' ears on it.  I suggest you try these on a 1/8" piece of scrap plywood first.  I would have gone for the 6-32, or 8-32.  More than strong enough to support your baskets compared to what the wall can support in weight.  Button head (hex) stainless screws are available down to really small sizes.   RonB

I may have gotten a little carried away with that order. I will see when they get here if I'm interested in using them.
2021 Mid Bath