Skip to main content
Topic: Max wheel pressure/replacement tire brand (Read 1511 times) previous topic - next topic
Max wheel pressure/replacement tire brand
Hello,
Michelin has gone from the LTX to the Defender, & now to the Agilis cross climate.  Unfortunately, the crossclimate LT load Range E requires 90 psi for the same max load as the prior tires.  I am trying to get Ford to reply as to whether the OEM steel 16" wheels will handle 90 psi.  Anyone actually get an answer from ford?

Lazy Daze Has changed to Hankook for 2021, anyone know why ford changed?

Any recommendations as to a brand to use as a replacement for Michelin that still uses 80 psi for max load on load range E?
I need M & S.
Michael
2013 31' IB

Re: Max wheel pressure/replacement tire brand
Reply #1
Michael,
The maximum pressure for the wheel should be stamped on the wheel some where.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #2
I too had never heard of Hankook tires until I saw them on our new rear bath. I am very impressed on how well they ride. They are load range 'E' and show a max pressure of 80-psi.  I run 75-psi rear and 65-psi front which works well for handling. I have asked several people in the tire industry all whom have said Hankook are very good tires.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #3
Please correct me if I am wrong - Tire pressure is determined by on the weight of the rig.
Sam

Reply #4
I go with the tire pressure printed on the edge of the driver door, the one listed by Lazy Daze sticker. The tire may be able to handle a higher psi such as 80psi, but the sticker says something like 60psi.

If you do 80, then I feel like when one blows out, that would be a lot of weight on the others and cause more pressure to occur, hence more blowouts...

About the Tim being able to handle 90psi, this might be something the tire place would be able to answer, but o would still not do 90psi
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #5
I too had never heard of Hankook tires until I saw them on our new rear bath. I am very impressed on how well they ride. They are load range 'E' and show a max pressure of 80-psi.  I run 75-psi rear and 65-psi front which works well for handling. I have asked several people in the tire industry all whom have said Hankook are very good tires.

Same.
They seem okay.
I liked the Goodyear Wranglers on my previous 1995 TK.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #6
You shouldn't need to go to 90 so it shouldn't matter.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #7
Several years ago when I had my two front Michelin tires fail at the same time (the belts shifted) when 2,000 miles from home I bought two Firestone Transforce.  Same load rating (E) and size.

What a difference!  Much better ride and handling, and less expensive.  Had been a loyal Michelin guy for years and use them on my cars, but Transforce is the one for the LD.
2003 MB

Reply #8
I believe the tire maker knows a bit more about what and what not a tire can handle.  They are the ones with the liabilities not me.  They have spent the money making and testing said tire. 
The tire pressures are to set at a cold tire.   If 90 PSI is set at a cold tire then the running pressure will be higher.  As an aside I have seen my tires at 95 PSI many times and for hours at a time on the road.   I do run all my tires at 70 to 75 PSI cold tire set.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #9
I like my Hercules Terra Trec Cross V, but I have nothing to compare it to.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #10
Hello,
I have a 31 ft LD, & I need to run at  90  psi to the carry the load in the rear duals with the Michelin agilis cross climates & provide a little reserve capacity .
The OEM wheels are not marked as to max pressure ( inside or outside).  Still waiting for an answer from Ford.
Need to put the LD on a more stringent diet or go with a different brand to carry the load with 80 psi.
Michael
2013 31' IB

Reply #11
Hello,
I have a 31 ft LD, & I need to run at  90  psi to the carry the load in the rear duals with the Michelin agilis cross climates & provide a little reserve capacity .
The OEM wheels are not marked as to max pressure ( inside or outside).  Still waiting for an answer from Ford.
Need to put the LD on a more stringent diet or go with a different brand to carry the load with 80 psi.
Michael
Michael, how are you justifying the 90 psi? I'm running on Cross Climates now in my 30' and it would ride like a tank if I inflated to 90 psi. I usually travel at 65 front and 75 rear and have been doing that for 19 years, always with Michelins.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #12
Hello,
Michael

Which inflation table are you using, and what are your axle weights? 

I use these tables - click 16" and then look for the correct tire size (225/75/16)

Michelin RV Tires | View Michelin RV Tires load and inflation tables for...

You should notice a few things.  First, there are 2 versions of the Agilis CrossClimate - normal and c-metric.  They have different inflation standards.

Second, the 'normal' table seems to contradict itself.  For a single tires, the maximum load & pressure on the sidewall is listed as 2680lbs @ 90psi.  Just to the left of that, they show 80psi as the recommended inflation pressure for 2680psi. 

Perhaps (probably) it's not a mistake and should be interpreted as the tires can handle more pressure but not more weight. 

If you're willing to share your numbers (axle weights and desired inflation pressure), we might be able to help a bit more.

If you're overweight and looking for a tire that can handle it, note that the Agilis CrossClimate C-metric has a load of 3085 @ 80psi (single). 

I'm struggling to see why you would want 90psi in a tire unless you're over the weight limits for an axle and/or the entire coach. 

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #13
What I’ve noticed is that after setting my tire pressure at 70 psi front and 75 psi rear, once I get on the road my TPMS shows tire pressure all over the place. My front might show psi in the80’s for the front and psi in the 90’s for the Dualies. My TPMS also monitors the tires temperature with a high temp. Alarm that has never activated.
My 2005 26.5 MB, handles well with the 70/75 psi and I don’t notice any handling or ride issues at the higher psi.
Have any of you using a TPMS, noticed these psi  differences?
2005 MB

Reply #14
Hi Mac;  Two of my other cars have tire pressure continually displayed on the dash along with a pictogram of the car outline. (I can turn that display off if desired)  Parked, the two tires in sunlight, will be about 35.  In the shade about 33.  As I drive I can watch the tire pressures go to over 42 psi at speed on the highway. They increase and decrease depending on load, speed and temperature. The spare in the trunk changes little and stays in the 32 psi. range.  I don't have a temperature of the tires per se.  The sensors are inside the tires at the stem.
   Your description sounds about what I would expect, especially in a very heavy vehicle.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #15
It is my understanding that most all E rated tires have a maximum pressure of 80psi and to go to 90psi, one would need to purchase F rated tires.
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #16

Have any of you using a TPMS, noticed these psi  differences?

Yup.   Tire Pressure in the morning before moving the LD is the same on all six tires (within 2 or so pds).   Temp is all the same also.   Going on east/west highways tire pressures on the left side and right side driver raise at the same rate.  The right rear duels tend to run about 5 to 10 pounds higher and also 5 to 10 degrees hotter.   On north/south highways the side facing the sun run higher and hotter - 5 to 10 pounds and 5 to 10 degrees hotter.   Right side rear duels always run hotter.

I rotate tire for two reasons - right side tires tend to hit curbs more often then left side and temp/pressure differences. 

glen

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #17
Michelin tells me the following about Agilis cross climate:
LT 225/75R16  E  will carry 2440 # at 80 psi single & 2220 # as a dual.  It takes 90 psi to get 2680 # single & 2470 # dual.
On my 31 ft I need more than the 2220 # in the rear.
The C metric where not available when I bought the LT load range E's
Michael
2013 31' IB

Reply #18
"... & 2220 # as a dual..."

2220 # as a dual would lead me to believe a pair would carry 4440, yes?

Please, more clarification S'il vous plaît.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #19
Michelin tells me the following about Agilis cross climate:
LT 225/75R16  E  will carry 2440 # at 80 psi single & 2220 # as a dual.  It takes 90 psi to get 2680 # single & 2470 # dual.
On my 31 ft I need more than the 2220 # in the rear.
The C metric where not available when I bought the LT load range E's
Michael

Using those numbers, you could have 4880 on the front axle if evenly distributed (2440 on each side, each side with a single tire).

You could have 8880 on the rear axle if evenly distributed (4440 on each side, each side with 2 tires). 

I don't know why your inflation chart would differ from the one on the Michelin RV Tires website.  Maybe the numbers have changed over the years.

Not sure if that helps with your issue, but I think that's the correct way to think about it.  You tire dealer would be able to confirm for sure.   

Once you know your axle weights, it would probably improve your ride quality to back the tire pressure down from 80lbs to match the inflation number to the actual weight being carried.  For example, I run around 62psi in the front and 72psi in the rear on my MB since that adequately carries the weight and it makes for a less objectionable ride. 

Hope that helps.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #20
Hi Rich; that gets to 13,760 #. A bit short of the 14,500# GVWR, and assumes exact loading at each tire.  RonB

Reply #21
Unfortunately, the crossclimate LT load Range E requires 90 psi for the same max load as the prior tires.

This is incorrect. The load range chart shows the same load capability at 80 psi as at 90 psi, which is 2680 single, 4940 dual. In other words, 90 psi is permissible, but it does not increase the load handling.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #22
Hi Rich; that gets to 13,760 #. A bit short of the 14,500# GVWR, and assumes exact loading at each tire.  RonB

Yes.  You get to 15,240lbs using the Michelin RV tire inflation table linked above.  I'm not sure where the OP is getting his/her numbers, but I went with them for an example of how to calculate things.

Depending on the weight of the coach, it could be time to find out which table is correct.

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #23
Hi Rich and Michael;  Using Steve B's numbers the total load capacity at 80 psi comes to 15,240 pounds. Adequate for the rated 14,500 pounds GVWR for the E450 chassis. More in line for what I expect.  My E350 rig at 11,500# GVWR hardly stresses the tires, with a 3700# margin.  RonB

Reply #24
You folks are correct.  The numbers given to me by Michelin are different than their load chart.  I have emailed  Michelin for the load numbers at 85  psi, & pointed out the discrepancy in the load #s in the 80 psi column in their chart.
I will share their reply when I get it.
Michael
2013 31' IB