Skip to main content
Topic: Maintenance on the original 2000 LD AC and Refrigerator (Read 455 times) previous topic - next topic
Maintenance on the original 2000 LD AC and Refrigerator
I will be working with a mobile rv tech on Friday to improve the efficiency of the Original AC and refrigerator.

He wanted the model numbers of both. I do not have a manual for the AC or Refrigerator.

AC Maintenance: cleaning the fins and changing out the filters.
It does work well when I need it.
Does any one know which air filters work on the older model Penguin 600 Series AC ?
Can the model number be located by taking off the filters on the interior side of the AC and looking in with a flash light?

Refrigerator maintenance: cleaning out the exterior vent side to improve the propane usage.
Depending on the time of year, it takes 3-5 hours plugged into shore power to cool down to a safe temperature. I thought this was a common time frame, the rv tech comment  was this is too long and it needed to be replaced. I travel with a cooler and a lot of ice stops to keep frozen prepared meal Cold. I have not used the propane mode, wanted to clean it first.
I have not found the model number on the interior of the refrigerator, does anyone know where to locate it?

Will be looking to replace both those items hopefully next year. Fingers crossed. For now, would like to take care of what I have.

Is there a recommend document that shows all the parts to the refrigerator and ac ? I would like to speak the rv techs language.
Grateful, Kimberley from Kansas
2000 Mid Bath

Re: Maintenance on the original 2000 LD AC and Refrigerator
Reply #1
"it takes 3-5 hours plugged into shore power to cool down to a safe temperature. I thought this was a common time frame, the rv tech comment  was this is too long and it needed to be replaced."
----
Does this RV tech also sell refrigerators?  ;)

Depending on ambient temperatures, it can take a 6 cu. ft. refrigerator operating on AC about 4-6 hours to cool to about 40 degrees. It may take a little less time is the refrigerator is operating on propane. There are several variables in play, e.g., setting of the refrigerator, position of the thermistor, outside temperature/air flow, etc. Certainly, have the AC and propane components on the refrigerator checked and serviced, but if your refrigerator is cooling from "warm" to 40 degrees or less on AC in 3-5 hours, the refrigerator appears to be functioning as designed on AC.

I pre-cool my refrigerator (on AC or propane) for at least 12 hours on setting 4 before putting in already chilled and/or frozen foods.

YMMV, as always.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Both of those items are in the age range where they could last another 5 years or they could stop working tomorrow.  Such is the joy of 20 year old appliances (I have some myself).

Our fridge take 4-6 hours to cool from room temp, or more. 

Opinions will differ, but since you are planning for replacement in the next few year or so anyway, I would just clean what I could by myself and leave well enough alone if you can live with the current performance.   YouTube has plenty of instructional videos on basic maintenance.

You might be disappointed by the lack of performance improvement after a service call and wish you had put the money towards replacement.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #3
Finding a reliable and honest rv service man/woman has bee a challenge for me in this area of Kansas.

Had a not so good experience 2 months ago after over 2000 dollars spent on repairs to the roof and other items. I just wanted to get my LD out of that "highly" recommended repair facility. That is a different topic.

So I see it as a test run, both items are easy enough for a rv tech and I will learn something in the process. And more importantly hopefully find someone I can take my beloved LD for mending when needed.

As long as the ac and refrigerator preform well, I will do the maintenance required. 

Does anyone know what type of filters to use for the AC?
Thank you, Kimberley

2000 Mid Bath

Reply #4

Kimberley, I replaced the filters in the Penguin 600 Series Brisk Air AC in my 2003 with these:

Amazon.com: Dometic 3100281P009 Brisk II Heat Pump Air Filter - Pack of 2:...

I don't know if the AC in my 2003 is the same as the AC in your 2000, but, if nobody with a 2000 model year unit answers you, pull the old air filters out of your unit and see if the appearance specs in the product description linked above match yours.

Good luck.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Hi Kimberley; My late'99 TK, delivered in early 2000, probably has the same air conditioner as you. The shape of those air filter elements in Joans reply look the right shape to fit. Not a heat pump though.
     I still have my original refrigerator, and it can still do -5 degrees in the freezer.  At it's age it still has 'one foot on the banana peel', and could go any time. The 3-5 hours to cool on electric has always been normal since it was new. Dometic had a problem with the electric element sizing back then, that resulted in the major recall they had with the coolant line rupturing.    RonB 
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
Ron, the AC in my 2003 is not a "heat pump", either; the literature says that it's a model number 600315.321, a 13,500 BTU AC that is "pre-wired for optional heat package".

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Thank you Joan, I will have the LD home this evening and will take the existing ones out and measure. I agree with Ron that those look like they will work.

Always very thankful for this forum, the LD table of knowledge, Kimberley
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #8
I have a 2004 MB and the same AC unit. The filters are just pieces of foam. I bought large sheets from Walmart and cut to size/shape to fit the AC. It is very easy.

Actually, there are just minimum maintenance of the AC unit. You can use a blower to clean out the leaves stuck on the rooftop condenser. Change the filters and avoid these RV techs that sell their service on "fear". Most likely, you will not see ANY noticeable performance improvement after his/her work.

Same to the fridge. Your unit appears working well according to your description. You can purchase a remote thermometer and monitoring the actual performance of the fridge. If you place the sensor close to the thermistor, the temperature range should be in mid 30s once you plug in to shore power for 12 hrs.  You can make "fact based decision" on fridge maintenance yourself, not to be scammed for the profit seeking RV tech.

AcuRite Indoor/Outdoor White Digital Thermometer with Clock 8.5" x 7.125" x...

The key factors to prevent the fridge from going bad are 1, to level the LD when in use and not moving; 2, to prevent corrosion in the freezer compartment during storage. Make sure the freezer compartment is dry and leave the door open.
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #9
I use an Accurite four temperature (three remotes) themed in the 'dark' mode for being able to sleep with it not so bright.  I bought 'AA' size lithium batteries for the freezer and refrigerator batteries. They withstand the cold better.  https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/acurite-temperature-and-humidity-multisensor-weather-station-with-3-indoor-outdoor-sensors?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jg91T_CDLVpTBDk-Jx4QpqZTGtVzAg0OnhO-ZK8MIZZl1xodXKMOfVhoCyJYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds   
   It does dim at night and the display can be turned off too.  I have a 12Vdc to 5v adaptor with the proper right angle plug for this unit, Still have to replace the batteries in the display every year or so, but solar keeps the display on easily.   I bought at a less expensive source, years ago. Home Depot also had a good price and the 'dark' theme, but only seem to have the 'light' theme anymore.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #10
"You can purchase a remote thermometer..."

True, but an ordinary indoor/outdoor is not the best choice for a fridge! You might want to consider the one in the following link.  ::)   ;)

Amazon.com: AcuRite 00986 Refrigerator Thermometer with 2 Wireless Temperatur...
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #11
When storing the LD or not in use I leave the refrigerator doors open.

I will be honest, I remembered reading about the position of the thermistor, but as the year went on I forgot about it.
Then this year I was looking inside and noted that it was on the upward position on the metal fin. I moved it down to the "middle" position and I noted a difference in the temperature cooling.  Maybe a degree colder.

I know that some have replaced the thermistor, but at this time I can not recall the diagnostic reason for this.
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #12
Is the middle of the fins a good place to put the thermister? Still trying to dial mine in.  I noticed it is pretty loose can slide around pretty easily.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #13
When storing the LD or not in use I leave the refrigerator doors open.

I will be honest, I remembered reading about the position of the thermistor, but as the year went on I forgot about it.
Then this year I was looking inside and noted that it was on the upward position on the metal fin. I moved it down to the "middle" position and I noted a difference in the temperature cooling.  Maybe a degree colder.

I know that some have replaced the thermistor, but at this time I can not recall the diagnostic reason for this.

The upper most position of the thermistor  is the coldest position, while middle will be about average.
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #14
Ok, that makes sense because warm air rises. Higher position is colder. Will keep a eye on it especially on those hot summer afternoons.
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #15
"Ok, that makes sense because warm air rises. Higher position is colder."

That's true enough... however it's better to circulate the air, keeping the whole box at an even temperature. Many of us have a 'muffin' fan wired across the light switch. The fan runs only when the door is closed. Search the archives for Refrigerator Fan.  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #16
The location of the thermistor in our new refrigerator is on the fin furthest to the right a little below the fin centerline. (See photo)
The small pancake fan is wired to the DC supply upstream of the light allowing it to rum the entire time the frig is turned on. It really helps stabilizing the temp inside. The pancake fan at the back of the frig helps move the heated air up the coils and it too runs the entire time. They draw very little power and they make for better run efficiency.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #17
I am currently using a battery operated fan in the fridge to circulate the air.
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #18
I have this one to keep the frost off of the fins and circulate the air.
It works great.

DOMETIC REFRIGERATOR FAN
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #19
....The pancake fan at the back of the frig helps move the heated air up the coils and it too runs the entire time. ....

I like that fan set up.
I'm thinking about doing this.

Is it fairly silent?
What size?
Where did you get it?
Where did you wire it into?
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #20
All good questions.
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #23

Ted, I got the inside small fan from Amazon. (see link below)

<Amazon.com: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX, Premium Quiet Fan, 3-Pin (60mm, Brown):...;

It is quite quiet.  I connected it to the wires going to the inside light before the switch. It will run while the ref. is turned on.
I used tie straps to hang it from the rack.

2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #24
Reporting about my experience with the mobile tech.
He is a retired Navy mechanic with electrical background. He was a friendly and a little talkative. He works with his wife and they work as a team. When he drove up in a 1957 chevy truck, I thought this is the guy.

He does not know everything about Rv's but enough to be helpful. He is willing to listen and do the research to help owners take care of their rigs. This is reassuring after allot of money spent recently at a highly recommended rv repair business that I can only say I felt like the LD was in purgatory for 6 weeks and when I got it back I felt like it had been violated. Enough said about that. Communication is key.

The air conditioner fins were cleaned and I was able to locate the model number information. Filters I was able to rise clean and they will work for now.

We did yearly maintenance on the propane refrigerator vent area. Wanted to see the blue flame before I ran the refrigerator on just propane. To my surprise, it only took around 3 and 1/2 hours to cool down with ice cubes formed in the tray and thermistor reading a safe temp for the refrigerator.  Wow.

On travel days I  typically travel with a cooler which requires ice. I am wanting to start using the refrigerator on propane mode.

My question is when traveling in the Mountains or to higher elevations, is it ill advised to use propane for the refrigerator when going up or down steep grades? When traveling to a higher elevation does it decrease the efficiency in propane usage?
I remember that being level is very important regarding the operation of these rv refrigerators.
2000 Mid Bath