Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing hot water heater (Read 99 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing hot water heater
I have a 2005 MB which I purchased in January in Arizona. I live in Wisconsin. We ran into freezing weather on the way home. The prior owner assured me the LD was winterized and the plumbing system drained. Well, it turns out that wasn't completely true. The water heater did freeze and the tank is split. My question is whether I should replace the heater with a similar one or install an on demand model. The on demand is only about $100 more, I can install it and make any modifications myself. Has anyone installed an on demand, and if so, how has it worked and what are the advantages?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Gary
2005 Mid Bath

Re: Replacing hot water heater
Reply #1
If you are an RV  park dweller, it would probably be ok.  If you like to boondock, you won't have the water or the electricity to use an on-demand system.  Although, do they make propane powered on-demand heaters?  Not sure how they work.

Me, I boondock whenever I can.  I'd stick with a propane powered water heater with a tank.  I heat the water for 20 minutes before taking a shower and it's plenty for me.  

Linda
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #2
I think people with on demand have a love hate relationship. I believe they have a tendency to use a lot of extra water to get them selves regulated. They seem to freeze easily according to a friend who is an RV parts manager. My gut feel is, swap out the aluminum tank if you can get one.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #3
"My question is whether I should replace the heater with a similar one or install an on demand model."

The RV I owned prior to my LD was a Holiday Rambler, Aluma-Lite, 30'. It was a very well built unit. It had the combo water heater. If you were hooked to the campground shore power the water heater sensed that and came on automatically if the switch was set for AC. If you did not have shore power you set the switch to LP.

While working with Steve Newton for the purchase of my LD I asked if I could have the combo water heater. I knew that the two units were made by the same company and were identical in physical size. The only difference would have been some Romex and a circuit breaker!

His answer was an emphatic "NO". No explanation was offered or given.  :(   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!