Skip to main content
Topic: Generator removal (Read 124 times) previous topic - next topic
Generator removal
1997 LD Mid Bath
Onan Emerald BGE - M

I'm doing a major service on my generator. I plan to install a new carburetor, change the  oil and filter, replace the spark plugs and fuel filter.  The oil change was no problem but replacing the carb is becoming a nightmare. Getting to the back bolt is next to impossible. I've cut a 1/2 inch wrench down for the clearance issue and have loosened the front bolt, but cannot get the wrench on the back bolt.
 I'm concerned that even if I get it out I'll never get it back in again with such limited access.

At this moment I'm thinking of removing the generator so I can get it in the open and have easier access . Since I've never done this before I'm looking for some advise on how to go about it.
1997 MB

Re: Generator removal
Reply #1
I remove the Emerald Plus in my 96 Fl.
With two people it's easier to do. We used a floor jack and some boards to take the weight.
Once all the bolts and wires and fuel lines were removed we lowered the generator to the floor.
On my FL, we had to jack up the side of the RV to clear the generator.
Once removed, we put it on a picnic table (we did this in an RV park and they were really nice about it)
and began diagnosis on the issues. We eventually figured out the problem ( it was the voltage regulator)
and replace that and then reversed the procedure and ll worked out.
It was an adventure, but my buddy is very good at this kind of thing.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Re: Generator removal
Reply #2
I remove the Emerald Plus in my 96 Fl.
With two people it's easier to do. We used a floor jack and some boards to take the weight.
Once all the bolts and wires and fuel lines were removed we lowered the generator to the floor.
On my FL, we had to jack up the side of the RV to clear the generator.
Once removed, we put it on a picnic table (we did this in an RV park and they were really nice about it)
and began diagnosis on the issues. We eventually figured out the problem ( it was the voltage regulator)
and replace that and then reversed the procedure and ll worked out.
It was an adventure, but my buddy is very good at this kind of thing.
Thank you for the input. Luckily I am doing on my driveway. I wouldn't even consider in an rv park. I'm thinking I'll just get a stack of wood of different thicknesses and use a floor jack to lower each side bit by bit to get down as far as my jack will go. Not sure if I'll be able to to put it on a dolly and still be able to lift the RV high enough to get the generator out.
Its a lot of work for one stubborn bolt but I will be able to give it a good wash and check the brushes and field windings when I have it out.
1997 MB