Skip to main content
Topic: Camco Olympian Wave 3 Catalytic Heater Installation (Read 528 times) previous topic - next topic
Camco Olympian Wave 3 Catalytic Heater Installation
Following in the footsteps of the Lazy Daze masters, I installed the Camco Olympian Wave 3 catalytic heater in our 2019 MidBath.  I was fortunate to have help from a friend with the expertise and tools to check my work generally, but especially for potential LPG leaks, ie; don’t try this project without the right expertise and tools!

I used MD Sturgis’ LPG hose and Quick Disconnect fitting with ball valve - 3/8" Ball Valve Quick Connect Natural Gas Connector Kit | MB Sturgis   I like the MD Sturgis hose for its flexibility and the ball valve because the design features a round, plastic knob that is unlikely to catch on pants or other objects (as opposed to a metal lever).  The valve also has a feature that prevents the QD from releasing the hose with the valve in the on position - a good safety feature.  I've listed the rest of the hardware at the end of the post.

Before starting this project, LPG gas supply is turned off at the tank and the remaining gas in the lines is removed by burning the stove burners until the flame goes out.  The coach was also kept well ventilated at all times during the project.

The Dometic cooktop/oven was removed by first sliding the stove-top forward and lifting it off.  Next, four screws fastening the oven to the sides of the counter top were removed, as well as two screws at the base of the oven fastening it to the cabinet.  The LPG tube was disconnected from the gas inlet and the oven then removed by sliding it forward.  The oven was set onto the lowered dinette table which was protected by a thick blanket. 

The LPG tube supplying the oven was disconnected from factory blocking, as well as the counter-top.  Next, the PLG line was cut with a pipe cutting tool directly across from the location where the QD valve would be mounted to the cabinet.  Using tube cutter, de-burring tool, and flaring tool, a 3/8” "T" union was installed at this location but not tightened. 

Next, a 5/8" hole (the outer diameter of the pipe nipple that transits the cabinet and blocking), was carefully cut in a piece of wood blocking (1”x2”x4”), and in the cabinet front where the QD Valve will be mounted.  The supplemental blocking was mounted with glue and screws to existing blocking and framework as shown in photos, below.   The QD Valve, 90 degree fitting, 2” nipple, NPT to flare adapter, (QD valve assembly), loosely installed through the cabinet and supplemental blocking.  A grommet or washers were required to enable to the assembly to clamp tight against blocking and cabinet material (I don't have a 3D printer so I used rubber washers).

With both the T union and QD valve assembly loosely installed, a length of 3/8” copper tube of the right length to join the two was cut.  One end of the copper tube was flared and tube length double checked (hint: buy extra tube in case you make a mistake).  Two flare nuts are added to the tube before the second end is flared.  Dimensions are checked and all connections are tightened.  Before reinstalling the oven/cooktop, the LPG tube that will be connected to the stove is plugged and all connections tested with leak detector solution.  It is recommended to hire an LPG professional to test the assembly with a manometer for safety’s sake!  Once connections are found to be free of leaks, the stove can be reinstalled.

Thanks again to my friend, and to those that have done this before me and shared their experience/advice!

Warren

Other hardware used: 3/8", 3-way "T" fitting, 3/8" NPT nipple (2" length), 3/8" male flare to 3/8" female NPT connector, 90 degree 3/8" female NPT to 3/8 3/8" female NPT, four 3/8" flare nuts, 10' roll of 3/8" copper tube, LPG rated thread tape.

Special tools used: Flare tool, pipe de-burring tool, leak detection solution. 
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Re: Camco Olympian Wave 3 Catalytic Heater Installation
Reply #1
Nice job, Warren, and thanks for posting your install! A few questions:

1. How heavy is the oven?  I liked your idea of lowering the dinette to place it on after removal.

2. Is that the top of the FW tank under the oven (the white part)?

3. It’s not clear to me how the hose is run from the new tee to the QD. Can you explain?

I’ve been looking at doing this modification towards the rear of the coach, tapping into the propane line near the water heater but it’s pretty tight in that location.  This looks like it may be easier. 

Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
Greg,

1. The oven probably weighs 25 - 30 Lbs.  You could probably slide it out yourself.  I had a friend which made it easy.

2. Yes, the White object is the water tank.  As Art (Older Fossil), suggested, with the stove out one can easily access the tank sensors, as well as the side of the battery box (for battery monitor wire routing, for example).

3. The part sequence from the “T” to the Wave 3 is as follows (all are 3/8” size): (T: Flare - Flare - Flare), (Coupling: Male Flare - Female NPT), (2” long nipple, NPT - NPT), (90degree Elbow: Female NPT - Male NPT), (Quick Disconnect fitting with Ball Valve: Female NPT - QD), (LPG Hose: QD - Female Flare), (Camco LPG Swivel: Male Flare - Female Flare), (Wave 3 Heater - Male Flare).

As for the rear of the coach comment…. I chose to install the heater with a 10’ LPG hose so that we can place the heater just rearward of the bathroom when we are in the lounge.  If we decide we want two heaters or shorter hose, I will install a second QD fitting near the furnace/water heater.

Having a “Pro” there to help/supervise was a key factor for me, both to ensure a neat installation, as well as for safety.  I encourage you to do the same, Greg.
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #3
Warren,
Thanks for a great write-up.  Your installation looks very clean.  This job is on my list.

How did you get behind the panel/cabinet front where the quick disconnect ball valve is mounted?

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #4
Harold

Sliding the stove unit out provides plenty of access to the under counter area for this job, as well as service to water tank, wire run projects and others.

Warren
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #5
Thanks Warren,
I've been wondering how to access this space.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #6
Thanks Warren,
I've been wondering how to access this space.

Do this yourself only if you already know how to make a gas-tight flare  in 3/8” copper tubing.  If not, have a professional do it.
We don’t want anyone burning their rig, getting hurt or worse. Propane is potentially dangerous tuff.

Testng for leaks with a high grade leak detector is mandatory. Testing with a manometer is also an accepted way to determine if leaks are present, best done after using a leak fluid, if finding no leaks. It’s good to verify the leak-free condition using a manometer, do this before the stove is put back in, just in case., This is also a good time to make sure the propane regulator’s is set correctly.
Amazon.com: PerfectPrime AR1890 Professional Digital Air Pressure Meter &...
To pressure test with a manometer, before replacing the stove, use a 3/8” male flare-plugto temprarily cap off the stove’s gas supply.
LASCO 17-3931 3/8-Inch Brass Flare Plug - Pipe Fittings - Amazon.com

I like the quick disconnect valve Warren used.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Excellent information, Warren, and a very neat job. Thanks for posting all the details1

I would only make one suggestion: If it were me, I'd add a support block near the "elbow" in that propane line. Lazy Daze left far too much pipe hanging loosely, where it can flex and flap while on the road.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
“ I'd add a support block near the "elbow" in that propane line.”

Thanks Andy, we actually ran the 2” long nipple through a support block, then through the cabinet wall to the elbow. The support block was attached to the existing cabinet blocking and aluminum frame with both Gorilla Glue and screws. The screws were set downward, through predrilled holes in the frame and then through the factory blocking and finally into the supplemental block. The yellow Torx screw heads can be seen in one of the top-view photos.

Warren

Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #9
Greg,

1. The oven probably weighs 25 - 30 Lbs.  You could probably slide it out yourself.  I had a friend which made it easy.

2. Yes, the White object is the water tank.  As Art (Older Fossil), suggested, with the stove out one can easily access the tank sensors, as well as the side of the battery box (for battery monitor wire routing, for example).

3. The part sequence from the “T” to the Wave 3 is as follows (all are 3/8” size): (T: Flare - Flare - Flare), (Coupling: Male Flare - Female NPT), (2” long nipple, NPT - NPT), (90degree Elbow: Female NPT - Male NPT), (Quick Disconnect fitting with Ball Valve: Female NPT - QD), (LPG Hose: QD - Female Flare), (Camco LPG Swivel: Male Flare - Female Flare), (Wave 3 Heater - Male Flare).

As for the rear of the coach comment…. I chose to install the heater with a 10’ LPG hose so that we can place the heater just rearward of the bathroom when we are in the lounge.  If we decide we want two heaters or shorter hose, I will install a second QD fitting near the furnace/water heater.

Having a “Pro” there to help/supervise was a key factor for me, both to ensure a neat installation, as well as for safety.  I encourage you to do the same, Greg.

Thanks, Warren.  I guess my question (#3) is what route does the hose take from the tee to the QD. Does is just lay on top of the FW tank, then drop down to the QD?

I worked as a pipefitter in the past so feel confident in tackling this job myself.  Hopefully not famous last words!  😁
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #10
Andy,

I’m a bit slow… I now realize that you were referring to the 90 degree bend in the copper tube between the T and the oven.  Good point - Thanks!

Warren
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #11
Warren,
Like Greg, I am also curious about the tubing run from the T to the QD.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #12
Greg, Harold,

The tube from T to QD Assembly is several inches above the water tank. It is an unsupported, ~20” run. I suppose one could insert a foam block between the tank and tube for support. However, given the blocking on both ends of the run I felt it to be adequate without such support.

Perhaps Larry or Andy can weigh in on this.

Warren
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #13
Our Wave3 installation was very similar to Warren's.  I used copper tubing from where I teed off the stove propane line near where it came through the wall from the fridge area.  Our QD was also below the stove just to the left of the drawer under the fridge, with a shut-off valve on the back of the QD.  The shut-off valve was accessible with the drawer pulled out.  The only flexible hose was between the QD and the Wave3.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #14
Greg, Harold,

The tube from T to QD Assembly is several inches above the water tank. It is an unsupported, ~20” run. I suppose one could insert a foam block between the tank and tube for support. However, given the blocking on both ends of the run I felt it to be adequate without such support.
Perhaps Larry or Andy can weigh in on this.

The propane supply line is secured to the block on the wall and also to the counter top, this is how LD normally secures the propane line running to the stove.
In Warren’s installation, the quick-disconnect is rigidly mounted and so is the connection at the stove. Once everything is reassembled and the stove is back in and connected, the new propane line is adequately supported.
Once the copper tubing is installed and all the connections tightened, it becomes very rigid and not subject to moving or bouncing. The new supply to the quick-disconnect is rigid and shows no signs of needing support.
The water tank can be used for a support but its top can move upward if the water tank is overfilled, causing it to bulge and flexing the tubing. The horizonal run is not long, copper tubing is structually capable of making a short spans, it’s done throughout the rig.
Enjoy the heat Warren.

Larry
Larry

Reply #15
Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I'm not comfortable with a 20" unsupported run with a 90° bend in the middle. If I can easily deflect it with a fingertip, I want better support.
Andy Baird

Reply #16
Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I'm not comfortable with a 20" unsupported run with a 90° bend in the middle. If I can easily deflect it with a fingertip, I want better support.

The photos are incomplete and do not show the added tubing from the tee to the cabinet wall and quick-disconnect
When all the connections and supports are tight and secure, the added tubing is very ridgid and adds strength to the original tubing run.
The stock tubing's two tie-downs (one on the wall and the other at deck level) are what LD originally installed and considered adequate. If anything, the added tubing is now more secure and ridgid.

Larry
Larry

Reply #17
"The photos are incomplete and do not show the added tubing from the tee to the cabinet wall and quick-disconnect"

Understood; that adds some strength to the run.

"The stock tubing's two tie-downs (one on the wall and the other at deck level) are what LD originally installed and considered adequate."

Nevertheless, I disagree with them.
Andy Baird

Reply #18
I’m inclined to leave as-is.  The tubing is now supported well from three points: existing blocking, existing counter fastener, and the new QD valve assembly fastened to the lower, front cabinet. 

That said, I suppose one can not be too safe with propane line… Were I to add supplemental blocking adjacent the “elbow”, I suppose I would look for a stud with a finder.  Anyone know whether Lazy Daze uses as a standard, 12”, 18” or some other dimension between stud centers?

One other question: does anyone know why the factory encases the gas line in black plastic electrical conduit from just above the elbow to just beyond the counter fastener?  I thought perhaps it would guard against stove top chafing.  However, the stove top terminates two or three inches in front of the counter so there is little chance of chafing.

Thanks all for the support,

W
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL