Skip to main content
Topic: Solar (Read 190 times) previous topic - next topic
Solar
I'm late to the solar game.
My LD came with 2 panels.

What a difference from this new LD compared to my 1995 LD.
The batteries came back to charge fairly quickly today after the heater ran a lot last night.  We are at San Simeon right now.

For many of you this won't be a surprise.
For me I'm thrilled.
 :D
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Solar
Reply #1
Congratulations!
I think your solar panels have 115 watt rating.  The ratings were lower previously, plus the solar panels degrade with age .  1995 panels would be 16 years old, on the last 1/3 of their life.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Further, panel longevity has improved dramatically. Not certain how low voltage panels equate to residential grade, but for those, guaranteed output of 80% of rated power at 25 years is typical. Furthermore, efficiencies approach 20%, compared to 14% a decade ago...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
My ‘85 didn’t have any solar.  I feel blessed to have a single 100 watt panel!  👍
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Further, panel longevity has improved dramatically. Not certain how low voltage panels equate to residential grade, but for those, guaranteed output of 80% of rated power at 25 years is typical. Furthermore, efficiencies approach 20%, compared to 14% a decade ago..

While panels have become smaller, more efficient and cheaper, the older panels do not degrade significantly.
Last summer, one of our original 2003 85-watt solar panels stopped working. Pulling the panel off, its fuse was found to have  dirty connections.
After cleaning the connections and reinstalling the fuse, the panel was propped up and aimed directly at the noon sun, the measured amperage was the same as indicated on the specification plate, not bad for a panel that is almost 18 years old.
I had suspected the panel was bad and had ordered a 100-watt panel to replace it. Instead, the new panel was added to the existing collection, now totaling 505-watts. The maximum output is now just within the 3000i solar controller’s 24-amp specifications. I have never heard anyone complain they have too much solar

As Tim Allen used to say, More Power !
Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze