Skip to main content
Topic: Furnace removal ‘83 MP (Read 217 times) previous topic - next topic
Furnace removal ‘83 MP
I having bit of trouble getting this furnace to come loose from the pipes and pull it in the cabin to remove and surface mount a Wave 6, any suggestions or guidance?
'83 22' MP
‘06 26.5 MB
The highway sets the travelers stage
All exits look the same
                                    ~ The Avett Brothers

Re: Furnace removal ‘83 MP
Reply #1
Likely moisture in the exhaust with heat has caused a bit of rust. Try a slight twisting/rocking motion to loosen. Note that the Wave 6 will put out a lot of radiant heat, but distribution will be poor. Suburban lists most of their furnaces as about 60% efficient, so a 20kBtu
furnace would circulate about twice as much heat more evenly in the rig than the cat heater at max. Most find the furnace is nice a few minutes in the morning before turning on the cat, and a smaller Wave 3 might then be sufficient.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
A Wave 6 needs a lot of unobstructed room in front of it, the heat is purely infrared and it heats what is directly in front of it.
The Wave 6’s owner’s manual shows it needs these minimums clearances.

Clearances from combustible materials must be a minimum of:
• 4" from each side
• 4" from the floor (rug, tile, etc.)
• 18" from the top
• 30” from the front
• 0" from the rear

A Wave 6, mounted where the furnace now resides, will overheat the opposite side wall if run on high.
I would be worried about damaging the paneling, among other things.
Unless you have personal experience with a Wave 6, I would be cautious  and investigate this more, it’s a powerful heater that many LD owners have replaced with smaller Wave 3s. The difference is that you want to use a catalytic heater as the primarly heat source, not a supplemental source .
A portable cat heater, a Wave 3 or 6, on a hose, would be more useful, IMO. With a hose, the heater can be aimed at the area that needs warming.
Our rig has a pair of Wave 3s, used in very cold weather. A single Wave 3 does a fine job of keep the rig from getting chilly.
Two Wave 3s will keep the interior at 65-70, in single digit conditions.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
"A Wave 6, mounted where the furnace now resides, will overheat the opposite side wall if run on high."

Agreed. I replaced the furnace in my 1985 22' twin/king with a wall-mounted Wave 6, and it turned out not to have been a good idea. Even on low, it was too hot nearby and not warm enough at either end of the RV. A radiant (infrared) heater just isn't satisfactory as the sole replacement for a forced-air furnace, unless you live in a very mild climate... in which case I'd suggest a portable Wave 3.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Assuming it is a Suburban NT 20 S furnace make sure the front hold down screw is removed and remove the six screws around the vent tubes from the outside. Everything should come out and you can do the rust separation with total access.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #5
Thanks fellas! Well, I might have liked cooked my goose with this. It’s halfway out and stuck. Maybe l’ll have to pull the exhaust cover and find a way to remount the unit and T into the line for quick release hose mobile mount for optimal usage. Not sure if I can get it remounted at this point.   
'83 22' MP
‘06 26.5 MB
The highway sets the travelers stage
All exits look the same
                                    ~ The Avett Brothers