Skip to main content
Topic: Solar and battery monitoring  (Read 112 times) previous topic - next topic
Solar and battery monitoring
Dumb question alert 😆

Does the solar system on new rigs provide a battery monitor system built-in or is that an aftermarket add on?

I've never had solar.
Thanks
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Solar and battery monitoring
Reply #1
It’s an add-on.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #3

Since voltage alone is not a useful indication of a battery's state of charge, to get any useful information out of the Thornwave unit, you'll need to add an external shunt. A good quality one will run you $75 or so. (I wouldn't waste time on cheapies.) That brings your cost up to $200, and you're getting a product from a not exactly well known manufacturer.

As an alternative, you could get a $131 Victron SmartShunt. It combines shunt, monitoring, and Bluetooth connectivity in a single compact unit.

However, a purely shunt-based monitor isn't the best available solution, because it will lose accuracy as your batteries lose capacity over time. (And should you ever upgrade to LiFePO4, it's useless). The best currently available solution I know of is a $220 Balmar SG200. There's more detail in the SG200 thread.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
To get any useful information out of it, you'll need to add an external shunt. A good quality one will run you $75 or so. (I wouldn't waste time on cheapies.) That brings your cost up to $200, and you're getting a product from a not exactly well known manufacturer.

As an alternative, you could get a $131 Victron SmartShunt. It combines shunt, monitoring, and Bluetooth connectivity in a single compact unit.

However, a purely shunt-based monitor isn't the best available solution, because it will lose accuracy as your batteries lose capacity over time. (And should you ever upgrade to LiFePO4, it's useless). The best currently available solution I know of is a Balmar SG200. There's more detail in the SG200 thread.

My bad. I thought the shunt was included in the Thornwave.

Found this:

Thornwave Labs Integrated Shunt
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2021 Mid Bath