Skip to main content
Topic: Heartfelt thanks and Blown Out Sparkplugs (Read 174 times) previous topic - next topic
Heartfelt thanks and Blown Out Sparkplugs
Good morning,

I just picked I say up from the Ford dealer. If not for this forum I would not know what to look for it when buying and asking for servicing.
Mechanic Quote: the truck is in excellent condition. They were aware of the spark plug recall. The spark plugs were replaced, coil on plug so no wires needed. Truck has a tune up and a multi point inspection😁

For newbies like myself, I feel I have a good maintenance plan because of folks like you.
Next week, RV repair shop for installation of TPMS, seal roof and side seams, install rear camera.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I did sanitize the fresh water tank. That took more time than I thought for the first time.
All service facilities came recommended by members of RV Women in my area, so well vetted.
2002 TK 24ft

Re: Heartfelt thanks
Reply #1
If the spark plugs ONLY were replaced - no inserts used - then I recommend you find a place in your area that does the remedial thread inserts. Without that, simply replacing the plugs and torquing to spec does NOT eliminate the possibility of failure. I suspect Ford service centers do not do the modification.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Heartfelt thanks
Reply #2
If the spark plugs ONLY were replaced - no inserts used - then I recommend you find a place in your area that does the remedial thread inserts. Without that, simply replacing the plugs and torquing to spec does NOT eliminate the possibility of failure.

Several forum members have recently had their pre-2004 V10s renovated by installing 10 spark plug inserts, to prevent the common problem of having a spark plug blow out. Three years ago, a blown plug destroyed our LD’s engine, having the inserts install costs about 1/4 as much as a new engine.
This is a problem waiting to happen on any pre-2004 V10, with the four-thread heads, don’t think it will not happen to you, even if the plugs have been replaced. It is nearly impossible to find a mechanic that will fix a blown plug, it’s a big job and requires special equipment that most mechanics to not own and would have to buy to complete the job.

I advise anyone who owns an older LD to do this modification if they intend to travel far from home. Two months ago, while  traveling with goods friends who own a 2002 LD, they had a plug blow out in Baker California. What a way to start a two week trip.  A trip to the Blown Spark Plugs guys was in order.

Blown Spark Plug has two locations in Southern California, in Santa Ynez and Chula Vista, it is now a part-time business, with inserts installed on weekends.
If you own an old LD and you want a dependable rig, do it. You have been warned.
Blownoutsparkplug.com Ford Spark Plug Thread Repair

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Heartfelt thanks and Blown Out Sparkplugs
Reply #3
Larry W

Might be time to open a LD specific Mechanical shop. 

Let us know - I'll be one of first to book  a project job!

Cheers!

Tony R. (aka codefour)
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Re: Heartfelt thanks and Blown Out Sparkplugs
Reply #4
I will drive out west if you do.
2002 TK 24ft