Skip to main content
Topic: repaired water damage still an issue (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic
repaired water damage still an issue
Hi - let me just say I have no idea which forum this question belongs in, so please feel free to have me move it.

I'm going to look at a 2005 26.5 MB this weekend. The original owner, who said this was well cared for, just had an inspection that revealed a couple things he wasn't aware of but will fix:

- propane detector isn't working, even though the light is on
- other alarms are outdated

He said that the generator has been serviced and only has 226 hours on it

But the thing that concerns me the most is that he said there was a small amount of water damage in the rear (I'm drawing a blank on where exactly) and around a fan but he had gotten on it right away and fixed it. My question is, even though he "took care of it right away" is the damage already done or is this okay assuming he took care of it correctly? I don't know how concerned I need to be with this

He was telling me how he goes to the Lazy Daze meet ups where they have a skilled maintenance person go over everything they need to do to maintain so he said he had put that sealing tape on the roof 7 years after he bought it and has since kept that updated.

I'm a total novice. It's a 2005 with 90k miles on it, always stored outside and on the east coast. I'm just really worried I'm going to get a money pit.

Re: repaired water damage still an issue
Reply #1
I'm going to look at a 2005 26.5 MB this weekend. The original owner, who said this was well cared for, just had an inspection that revealed a couple things he wasn't aware of but will fix:
- propane detector isn't working, even though the light is on
- other alarms are outdated
He said that the generator has been serviced and only has 226 hours on it.

But the thing that concerns me the most is that he said there was a small amount of water damage in the rear (I'm drawing a blank on where exactly) and around a fan but he had gotten on it right away and fixed it. My question is, even though he "took care of it right away" is the damage already done or is this okay assuming he took care of it correctly? I don't know how concerned I need to be with this

He was telling me how he goes to the Lazy Daze meet ups where they have a skilled maintenance person go over everything they need to do to maintain so he said he had put that sealing tape on the roof 7 years after he bought it and has since kept that updated.

The alarms are a cheap fix.

The leaks are another matter, Many people have deveolped leaks that have been found quickly and the leak sealed promptly, once properly died, there is no long-term damage, it’s all about how long it stayed wet.
Find out if there is a copy of inspector’s findings and see if the leaks and/or any resulting damage were noted.

When you look at the rig, ask where exactly the leaks were and inspect the areas yourself, poke at the spots hard, I use an ice pick, for rot inspection. An ice pick will go right through rotted wood,
Things to look for.
Look at the ceiling throughout the rig and see if any are sagging. Bad news if they are…walk.
If your nose detect the musky smell of mildew, find the source, if rot, walk.
The rear corners are the most common spots for leak check inside for soft wood.
Check the bottom of the exterior rear wall, get under the rig and poke all along the bottom of the wall, especially  in the corners.
I have found soft corners in many LDs, the result of loose end caps or leaking rear or rear-side windows.
The rear window oftern leak, either around the exterior frames or between individual panes of glass, it happens when the rubber molding ages and shrinks.

BTW, my wife and I have gone to LD GTGs all over the West, including over 50 LD Caravan Club GTGs, and have never seen a “ skilled maintenance person go over everything they need to do to maintain” their rigs.
The only exception was Mike Sylvester, who used to show up for the Balloon Festival. He and his partner/wife, Lisa have been dead for many years.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I believe that Maryland is in the 'salt belt', i.e., where roads are salted during the winter. If this 2005 had been driven on winter-salted roads, I suggest checking carefully for rust and corrosion underneath. 

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
This is a tough one to discuss without seeing the issue.  It could be a disaster, but it's just as likely to be something you can live with.  The coach is 16 years old.  Anything that old has a few things that owners just decide to live with.

For someone who isn't capable of evaluating the issue on their own, it might be best to pass.  RV's sell really quickly right now and most sellers won't want to spend time waiting for inspections if they are other potential buyers.  

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #4
I got more photos and admit this was way more than I expected. He’s asking 29k but said he’d take off 2k to rebuild that area which he says should be plenty to restore integrity. To me it looks pretty bad and not sure worth looking at

Reply #5
I would pass unless you have the time, skills, and money to do a partial rebuild.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
That is a well rotted LD, do yourself, a favor and keep looking. It would cost several times more to repair than what the owner said. If he lied about the rot, who knows what else is wrong with it.

Consider this to be a cheap learning experience, it could have been costly.
None of us wish to watch another new LD owner find out they own a nearly worthless RV. 
When we bought our first LD, 26 years ago, we looked at over dozen used LDs, over a six month period, before we found clean 1983, at a reasonalbe price...and we live in Southern California.
The search has always been difficult and you live far away from the majority of used LDs. Have cash and be ready to travel at a moment's notice, this is what it can take to acquire a good LD these days.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
"To me it looks pretty bad and not sure worth looking at..."

Sour grapes, RUN away!   :(  ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
Run! Forest Run!
Juanita's Thoughts
2005 30' TB

Reply #9
Casalita, I hope you heed the cautions offered and take this rig off your list; even the few photos posted show that this has been a badly-treated, maintenance-neglected LD with a lot of issues, very likely many more than are apparent. Keep looking!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge, you really helped me and now I won’t wonder 1 year from now if I passed  up a good opportunity!

Disappointing he can say this was well cared for and the water damage is “not that terrible”

Thanks again!

Reply #11
"Disappointing he can say this was well cared for and the water damage is “not that terrible” "
----
Some sellers do not hesitate to minimize or misrepresent completely a vehicle's condition to a potential buyer, particularly if the buyer is a novice and appears eager to buy. IMO, you will NOT regret passing up this rig, but I'm pretty sure that someone will get snookered and take on a long road of expensive repair.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
To my eye, the calking job alone looks like it's hiding other problems then you show the inside. I'd walk on this one and not give it a second thought.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #13
May I add one more opinion - run away fast.   From the images you posted this is a bad deal at any price.

Keep in mind you are looking for a house on wheels.  A house that is in a constant state of earthquake when in motion.  AND this is the most important point there is nobody on your side in this deal.  It's you alone.   You have no protection from the government or seller.  That means the seller from the manufacturer to the present owner is under the obligation to be honest in any manner.    Please assume that the seller is not your friend and isn't concerned with your best interest. 

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #14
Wow 😳, what a tragedy. And it's less than 20 years old. It's the way the sealants were applied that I find so shocking. It looks like they poured it in a pail and applied it with their fingers. They probably never cleaned the areas first, either.  Yup, walk away. If someone who restores RVs could get it for much less (7-10k), it may be worth repairing, assuming that's the extent of the damage. Water damage is like skin cancer, there's always so much more under the surface than what you can see.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo