Skip to main content
Topic: Cracked End Caps (Read 191 times) previous topic - next topic
Cracked End Caps
In a previous post today, someone posted a picture of an end cap with a big hole puncture.  What's interesting is that you can see the area inside the end caps - see attachment.   The reason I mention this is because of conversations I had with Vince from the Mothership when I experienced cracked end caps on my 2002 MB and 2017 MB (3 months after I picked it up).  He said that because of the stresses involved during driving, the end caps can crack, and therefore LD uses a lot of caulking behind them to help prevent water damage occurring.  He said, if I'm OK with the "cosmetic" look of the cracks, then don't worry.  Or I can take the long drive from Michigan to California to get new caps.  So I didn't do anything.  Now after seeing what's behind the end caps, I'm a little alarmed.  I think I better do something.  I've bookmarked some previous posts about repairing cracked end caps and will go through them.  
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Re: Cracked End Caps
Reply #1

Cracked end caps CAN leak, I have repaired the resulting damage.
Two possible fixes include a strip of Eternabnd tape across the crack, if on white or, or on a colored area, a strip of clear body protection tape.
Either are long-term fixes.

Amazon.com: VViViD 3M Clear Scotchgard Paint Protector Vinyl Wrap 2 Inch...

Amazon.com: CloudBuyer Car Door Edge Guard Clear Universal Door Sill Guard...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Cracked End Caps
Reply #2
Thanks LARRY W
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath