Skip to main content
Topic: 3M 5200 (Read 219 times) previous topic - next topic
3M 5200
Anyone know what the shelf life is after opening the small tube?

The bigger gun tube needs to be used fairly soon in my experience.

Great stuff.
2021 Mid Bath

Re: 3M 5200
Reply #1
I used some, then put it away, probably for several months.  When I next took it out, it was solid from the cap down about an inch.  An old drill bit got me some more.  I then stored it again.  Next time I took it out, it was hard too far for the drill bit to clear.  I put a small cut in the side near the bottom, used some, and sealed the cut with tape.  Next time, that side was hard, but a cut on the other side, getting the final use out of the tube.  I don't think there is a shelf life, per se, but with brief contact with air, a considerable portion will harden.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #2
As long as the 5200 is a still liquid, it should be usable.
3M’s 5200 is cured by absorbing moisture from the air. Once the tube is opened, even with the cap reinstalled, air leaks into the tube. Sealing the caps with a couple tight wraps of electrical tape will help prolong its sheft life, once opened, by reducing the inflow of air.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
"Sealing the caps with a couple tight wraps of electrical tape..."

My preferred choice is to plug the nozzle with an appropriate sized nail. It closes off air entry and keeps the channel free from being clogged! Then, when needed again just pull the nail free and go back to work.   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
I’ve been able to get a longer life from it by squeezing out a small ball of the adhesive on top of the tip, leaving that to dry and pulling it off when using it again. Also, I’ve just replaced the tips. But I’ve not stored this for more than a month at a time.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #5
Is 5200 and marine 5200 the same?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK