Skip to main content
Topic: Bummer - got side swiped at RV storage facility. Best way to pursue repairs? (Read 404 times) previous topic - next topic
Bummer - got side swiped at RV storage facility. Best way to pursue repairs?
Damage done to the the passenger side, back rear of our 2019 31 foot LD.  See pictures. Reflector light broken off, storage compartment door caulk seal broken, gouge on body. Filed claim online with Progressive - they will call Monday to follow up. Question: Is this the kind of repair that can be done at any auto body shop? does it need an RV specific repair shop?  Or should we wait until December when we will be in southern California - and take it to the mothership? (We are in Pennsylvania.) This is our first RV and first time dealing with repairs. Any and all advice/suggestions welcome!
2019  31 IB

Re: Bummer - got side swiped at RV storage facility. Best way to pursue repairs?
Reply #1
Connie/Kevin,

Mothership by all means. If you’re going to be out this way in a few months, then I’d let “The Pros From Dover” do the work. I’ve had work done there and you’d be hard pressed to know our ‘15 RB had ever been damaged. Call now and set up an appointment. Timing is everything and they book up for months in advance.

The running lights you can order from LD and they will ship it out directly. I’ve had good luck with them shipping product to me before they received my check in the mail. Your rig is too new and they don’t want you to wait.

Be aware that even with an appointment in place your repairs will take time to accomplish. A week or two no doubt. Perhaps they can get you all fixed up faster.

They had our rig for two weeks when they repaired our coach door when I put a UHaul hitch through it. You’ll be glad you had Lazy Daze do the repair.

Really sorry to hear about the damage to your new LD. That really stinks. Makes me really glad I can keep our rig at home.

Best of luck with your repairs.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: Bummer - got side swiped at RV storage facility. Best way to pursue repairs?
Reply #2
Mothership, especially since it's in your plans to be in SoCal.

Some RV places do fiberglass, which a LD is not.  Most RV places do not do body work, anyway, and those that do won't do metal work (unless they work on Prevost conversions).

Most auto body won't be familiar with the aluminum skin.

You can get a replacement light from the factory, and get on their schedule for the other repair.

Reply #3
If the factory is backed up and unable to repair your LD during the time you plan to be in SoCal, you might try Leisure Coachworks in Fontana. As far as I know, Vince, the former service manager at LD, works at Leisure Coachworks.

RV Repair Shop, Full service in Southern California - Leisure Coachworks
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Hi Connie;  The chances are good that the side marker lights are red LED's.  If so, you can let that slide until you get it fixed.  Mothership for sure. They have the right paint and the practice. Being so new you want to keep it in a more pristine condition than I would my 22 year old rig.  That gash in the white area, is that just scraped paint or is the aluminum deformed.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
Hey Ron - that gash in the white part of the rig looks to be a scuff mark on the paint - no denting that I can see. I'm very curious to see what the insurance company (Progressive) proposes for repairs and how much they will cover.
2019  31 IB

Reply #6
"If the factory is backed up and unable to repair your LD during the time you plan to be in SoCal, you might try Leisure Coachworks in Fontana. As far as I know, Vince, the former service manager at LD, works at Leisure Coachworks."

Hey Joan - thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that as a back up option.
2019  31 IB

Reply #7
I'm very curious to see what the insurance company (Progressive) proposes for repairs and how much they will cover.
Keep us posted on you claim process and how that works out.
Repairs at the mothership would be difficult for me living in Colorado. 😉
Juanita's Thoughts
2005 30' TB

Reply #8

Some RV places do fiberglass, which a LD is not. 

Actually, the lower side, exterior walls, below the floor level where the exterior cargo compartment doors are located, are made of fiberglass. Above the seam is sheet aluminum, ever plywood.
The damage on the lower, dark colored area is mostly cosmetic and could be fixed with careful sanding and touch up paint.

As Cgoochee mentioned (what a strange name, how is that pronounced?), the streak on the white may buff off, using a compunding product.
You can experiment using hand-applied rubbing and polishing compound to see if it it's a surface defect that cleans up.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Keep us posted on you claim process and how that works out.
Repairs at the mothership would be difficult for me living in Colorado. 😉

Update on our repairs: Tomorrow we take our rig to an RV collision repair place just southwest of Boston to get a quote on repairs. We have been traveling to Yellowstone, Glacier  and visiting family in Chicago and Minneapolis since April and now are back home to deal with the repairs. Geico gave us a quote of about $1600.00. I expect repairs will end up being more than that. We decided we are probably not traveling to southern California this year and would get the repairs done in the Northeast. Todd agreed after looking at pictures of the damage that a body shop could probably handle it.  Will let you know how it goes!
2019  31 IB

Reply #10
If the factory is backed up and unable to repair your LD during the time you plan to be in SoCal, you might try Leisure Coachworks in Fontana. As far as I know, Vince, the former service manager at LD, works at Leisure Coachworks.

RV Repair Shop, Full service in Southern California - Leisure Coachworks

He does….
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #11
Yes that's where he went when he left Lazy Daze .
             Jody
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed