Skip to main content
Topic: Never say never.......... (Read 719 times) previous topic - next topic
Never say never..........
I have always been somewhat of a purist when it comes to the good old stick built campfire. However, over the past several years it has become more  common to encounter campfire restrictions in the locations that I tend to frequent and/or the level of dryness just gives me pause on whether I want to build a fire even when restrictions are not present. This past summer, I did not build a single campfire.

Approximately 6 months ago I made a modest investment in a portable fire bowl that allows me to have a nice fire instantly and  just about anywhere. The bowl I purchased is considered "low profile" at 9" high which allows easy storage and access in the rear storage area of my 2004 IB. The low profile in combination with a 21" diameter also produces a more useable heat radius in comparison to some other fire bowls that I have been around that are taller and either the same or smaller in diameter.

It is awesome to enjoy that  morning cup of coffee outside with a fire or even enjoy a comfy fire under the awning when the rain gods decide to pay a visit.

The unit that I purchased is an Outland Firebowl Cypress Model 863. The flame tubes are more of a helix rather than just around the perimeter shape which definitely makes for a more natural looking campfire flame. A standard 20lb. propane tank will last 8 or so hours on high but once the volcanic rocks are optimally heated(20 or so min.) a medium flame setting provides plenty of heat and ambience.

Never say never......:)

Matt

2004 26.5 Island Bed. Gumby
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Re: Never say never..........
Reply #1
I do want to get a fire pit eventually and that one looks like a viable option. The bigger question in my mind it is where do you store the propane bottle in a MB while traveling?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
These have become pretty common among the folks we camp with. Easiest tank storage is in the toad, if you have one.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Greg, we have two of these 1 gal propane tanks, they fit in the compartment under our frig.  They are 11.5" high.  Our Little Red Campfire unit runs about 8 hrs on one fillup

There is a 2 gal version which is supposed to be 11.75" high

Karen~Liam
         98 ~ MB
            NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #4
PS - We have also brought the larger 5 gal propane tank and it travels in the bathroom while we drive since there is no one in there.

Karen~Liam
            98 ~ MB
               NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #5
"...where do you store the propane bottle in a MB while traveling?"

Hmmm, very interesting! Since the Lazy Bones is already plumbed to fuel a BBQ from the main tank I expect that a propane campfire device such as these could be modified to make the same connection... have to give that some thought!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
I have the 2.gal version and it fits snug as  bug in an old milk crate. I like the smaller 1 gallon but the.2 gal was full when I got it and free...amazing what people put on the. Curb...lol
2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe
2016 Twin King 24ft
2017 Casita Independence Dlx
2004 Midbath 26.5

Reply #7
We have been using a Camco Little Red Fire Pit for several years and have never looked back at burning wood.
http://www.littleredcampfire.com\
The fire pit is carried in the front passenger seat of the toad, sitting on a towel and seat belted in. The 20-lb propane tank sits on the floor, in front of the passenger seat.
The fire pit is one of our favorite accessories.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
WOW I never thought of using anything but wood.   I like the propane fire pits better.  Thanks for sharing.

Ron
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #9
No more charcoal grilles, no more wood campfires.
Just wait until they ban propane and we are forced to use electric grilles and fake fires.
Curmudgeon Jota
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #10
Thanks for the photos and recommendations for propane fire bowls, I have one listed on my second tier, nice to have in a couple years.

Similar to Matt, I still love the whole campfire process, from gathering downed wood, chopping, arranging for the perfect one match ignition, then tending the campfire, feels primeval, a direct connection to my past and ancestors. 

Not sure it would feel remotely the same to turn on and off a propane fire bowl like a light switch.  But I see how others who hate the wood fire process and smoke would enjoy the bowls.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #11

Not sure it would feel remotely the same to turn on and off a propane fire bowl like a light switch.  But I see how others who hate the wood fire process and smoke would enjoy the bowls.

I agree, learning the ritual of preparing and lighting a fire is a childhood memory that's still pleasurable today.
Most of us propane-pit users still love a good wood fire but our aging lungs, sinuses, and other breathing parts protest the smoke and have had to give it up.
The propane pits reduce the irritation and still provide the ambiance and primal pleasure of sitting around a fire, they are a compromise that brings more of our friends to the circle....not to mention being a lot easier and cleaner to use.

Whatever works.
Larry

Larry

Reply #12
I agree, learning the ritual of preparing and lighting a fire is a childhood memory that's still pleasurable today.
Most of us propane-pit users still love a good wood fire but our aging lungs, sinuses, and other breathing parts protest the smoke and have had to give it up.
The propane pits reduce the irritation and still provide the ambiance and primal pleasure of sitting around a fire, they are a compromise that brings more of our friends to the circle....not to mention being a lot easier and cleaner to use.

Whatever works.
Larry

We are always relieved when a campground prohibits wood fires.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #13
Similar to Matt, I still love the whole campfire process, from gathering downed wood, chopping, arranging for the perfect one match ignition, then tending the campfire, feels primeval, a direct connection to my past and ancestors. 

Not sure it would feel remotely the same to turn on and off a propane fire bowl like a light switch.

I too enjoy a good wood fire and agree a propane fire just isn’t the same but we will probably get a propane pit due to the fire restrictions in the West. And, anyway, I don’t want to be “that guy” you read about in the news that started a wildfire.

We do have a wood-burning fireplace at our current home so I get my “fixes” that way.  At our last home, we had a natural gas FP with a remote controlled starter, the antithesis of a wood 🔥. Sure was convenient though, especially when you just wanted a quick warm up before going to work on a cold winter day!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
For those that still love a wood fire, I recently spent a couple of evenings around one of the fire pits linked to below. As advertised, very little smoke, and a pleasant fire to watch because of the build design. It radiated heat well, and was easy to control. It's pricey, but there's a smaller, less expensive version too. Portable enough to be loaded up in a toad and carried around when camping, but either would be a great pit just for home. I'd never heard of them before, but was very impressed with it.

Bill

The World's Most Unique Fire Pit | Less Smoke, More Fun
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #15

Hi Bill;  For a nearly smokeless fire, I've had a Flame Genie. It burns wood pellets..  It can be a 'batch' burn where it burns just the initial load of pellets, about 2" full, to start. Or it can be filled with more to keep it going. Almost no ash, very easy to clean, and it cools off fast so it can be put away quickly. I have only burned it once at Morro Bay. (best in the desert) Usually too cold or windy or wet there.     The Home Depot Logo
It is small to pack and inexpensive.  Stainless Steel, and larger sizes available. Meager use of pellets too.   RonB
   edit: since I carry small propane tanks for the Bar-B-Queue, I carry a torch to light the fire, sometimes needed to get it burning. Amazon.com: Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch: Industrial & Scientific   Handy little device, even for other fires.  RB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #16
For those that still love a wood fire, I recently spent a couple of evenings around one of the fire pits linked to below. As advertised, very little smoke, and a pleasant fire to watch because of the build design. It radiated heat well, and was easy to control. It's pricey, but there's a smaller, less expensive version too. Portable enough to be loaded up in a toad and carried around when camping, but either would be a great pit just for home. I'd never heard of them before, but was very impressed with it.
The World's Most Unique Fire Pit | Less Smoke, More Fun

Looks like a very expensive commercial version of the free, old metal washing machine tubs we once used for fire pits. The washing machine tubs burn more cleanly, due to good airflow.  In my experience, the tubs burn wood at a much higher rate than a typical wood fire.

Larry
Larry

Reply #17
"For a nearly smokeless fire, I've had a Flame Genie. It burns wood pellets..  It can be a 'batch' burn where it burns just the initial load of pellets, about 2" full, to start. Or it can be filled with more to keep it going. Almost no ash, very easy to clean, and it cools off fast so it can be put away quickly. I have only burned it once at Morro Bay. (best in the desert) Usually too cold or windy or wet there."

Thanks Ron,
I heat with wood, have a nice glass front stove, so I get all the fires I want at home. I haven't built a fire in a CG in years, but enjoy being around when someone else has one!

"Looks like a very expensive commercial version of the free, old metal washing machine tubs we once used for fire pits. The washing machine tubs burn more cleanly, due to good airflow.  In my experience, the tubs burn wood at a much higher rate than a typical wood fire."

Yes Larry, it is a very nice, and expensive version of an old washing machine tub. This burns very clean for the same reason, though because of the way the gases and air flow through a 'secondary chamber' on the inside perimeter with holes near the inside top, the fire does dance around and is fun to watch. It can go through the wood, that's for sure.

I worry about making fires right after a rain, so if I were inclined to have a fire pit at my house, this would be great. A clean, controlled fire!

Bill
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #18
Hi Larry;  The holes at the bottom, and double wall construction make a lot of difference how the fire burns. Most of the flame is at the top, not inside the 'barrel'.  It's just over a foot across, and the stand goes into the inside for storage and travel.  So not a washing machine tub. I keep a gallon zip-lock bag of pellets inside the stand when packed aeay in its box. A small fire for 4-5 people.   I'll pull it out next time to show it off. It doesn't do well in wind or rain.  The bigger one would provide more heat.     RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #19
When I go into a big camping/outdoor/home store I've looked at the propane fire pits for sale but hadn't yet found one with a cooking surface on it.  It seems strange to me to have a fire pit but no way to cook on it.  Looking at the one that Larry is using it has an accessory for a cook top, Little Red Campfire Cook Top.  It also has a larger version with the Big Red Campfire Cook top.  The reviews for it look good. 

Anyone here come across any propane fire pits with cook tops besides the Little Red or Big Red?

JohnF
2003 T/K
Prev 1987MP with Roof Sleeper
2003 TK

Reply #20

We have the Little Red with the grate kit which is a stand and grate which allows you to put a pot or pan on top of the Little Red to heat water etc.  We have used it once, it is easier to heat water on our outdoor stove or in our LD.

Karen~Liam
          98 ~ MB
             NinA

Amazon.com: Camco 58033 Little Red Campfire Cook Top: Automotive

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze

Reply #21
Just wondering if it is dangerous to carry a 20 lb propane tank inside a vehicle?
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #22
Just wondering if it is dangerous to carry a 20 lb propane tank inside a vehicle?

In my LD manual on page 14 it states, "Never carry or store portable propane containers or other liquid gas containers inside the motorhome."   Only you can make that call.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #23
"Just wondering if it is dangerous to carry a 20 lb propane tank inside a vehicle?"

Weight or capacity is not the determining factor, they are all dangerous if not handled properly.

Some jurisdictions will not refill a LP bottle if you transported it to their facility in a enclosed vehicle. I actually had that happen to me. Needing a refill I carried the bottle to the supply point and was refused service because of my SUV. A pickup truck would have been acceptable. Here in CA I've seen it done both ways.   :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #24
"Just wondering if it is dangerous to carry a 20 lb propane tank inside a vehicle?"

I carry a portable approx. 5lb propane tank and store in the drivers side rear outside storage compartment, which is right next to the lazy daze installed propane tank.  My approx. 5lb tank is stored upright, so that its relief valve can still function.  You have to tilt it and rotate it a certain way to fit it in the compartment upright.  I also store a few disposable propane cylinders in this compartment.  I use metal caps on those tanks in event they were to start leaking. 

Do you leave your lazy daze installed propane tank open going down the road?  I do.  I like to keep the fridge/freezer cold.  I do turn it off at gas stations when filling. 

JohnF
2003 TK