Skip to main content
Topic: Roof vent replacement (Read 177 times) previous topic - next topic
Roof vent replacement
Wanting to be as efficient as possible removing this vent and replacing it with a fan vent, my thought is to expose all the screws and remove them before tackling the roof. Anyone have hints and tips?
LD 22', 1989 Custom Build. Chassis 1990 Chevy Van G30, 5.7l.

Re: Roof vent replacement
Reply #1
From your post, I assume you have an unpowered 14" vent and you intend to replace it with powered vent such as a Fantastic Fan or MaxxAir.

1) Looking at the pics, you will have to remove the old caulk.  That may or may not reveal screws.  I would bet that there are no screws under that caulk, but I might be wrong.
2) How will you get both power and ground to the new fan?  Make sure that is feasible before you begin this project.
3) Assuming you found both power and ground wires and are proceeding, I would start on the inside.  Looking at my 2008 vent, I have a trim plate with 4 screws, a crank handle with one screw and a screen with two screws.  I had that all down once, a few years ago, and my memory is that you will find more screws on the inside vertical sides of the top trim piece. 

4) With all the screws removed from the inside, and with all the caulk removed, you may need to take a thin bladed knife and work it between the vertical walls of the top piece and the framing as well as between the roof and the trim flange.  A sharpened putty knife might work.  Once that is all done, you should be able to just push or pull the works up and out of the roof opening.  5) The replacement should slide into the opening.  Use plenty of caulk and, after assembly, give the caulk a few days to solidify a bit.

I remind you that my vent is a 2008, and may well be different than yours.  The GENERAL advise is to avoid doing something that is not reversible.  For example, removing screws, no problem.  Cutting out the vent components, not advised.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Re: Roof vent replacement
Reply #2
There are several posts here on how to do this, just do a search. Use the appropriate materials, butyl tape and polyurethane sealant, like 3m 4200. Never use anything with silicone.
I replaced both of my vents a few months ago and I posted what I did with procedures and pictures.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo