Skip to main content
Topic: Storage Solution for Sewer Hoses and Attachments (Read 277 times) previous topic - next topic
Storage Solution for Sewer Hoses and Attachments
Folks,

Since we first got our rig (2014 MB), we had been storing our two sewer hoses and attachments in the front driver's side compartment.  This compartment is one of the more spacious ones, so it was a shame to dedicate it to the sewer hoses, which used less than a third of the volume.  We wanted to utilize that space more fully with other items.  It may also come in handy in the future as a place for additional batteries, since it is directly below the battery compartment.

I had read about DIY solutions for dedicated sewer hose storage tubes, in this forum and elsewhere on the internet.  Several folks out there have used 8' 5"x5" vinyl fence posts for this.  This seemed perfect for our needs, so I bought one from Home Depot ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-5-in-x-5-in-x-8-ft-White-Vinyl-Fence-Post-73010700/202084745 ) and tested the fit.  Everything fit perfectly: two hoses, plus the two elbow attachments (45, 90 degrees).  Now I just needed to figure out where to place it under the coach.

A couple of posts here from Larry Wade and RonB were very helpful in getting me to focus on the area under the coach near the skids and bumper, in the back.  This area is good since it's higher off the ground than anywhere else underneath the coach, with nothing much in the way.

I found that the best position for the post was just behind the skids, all the way up against the two steel channel beams.  I was able to clamp it to the beams to check the fit.  Sideways, I positioned the post so that it contacted the inside of the plastic lower sidewall on the driver's side, about six inches to the rear of the existing sewer hose storage port (contains the blue hose with no connector on one end).  The other end of the post ended up about 2" short of the sidewall on the passenger side, just enough room to take a post cap on and off.

At this point I needed to figure out how to provide a door to access the inside of the post on the driver's side.  I removed the little door from the existing storage port and examined it. I realized that if I cut away the inside portion that mates with the round Sanitube, the inside flange would mate perfectly with the end of the post.  This indeed worked perfectly: I cut a 5-1/4" square hole in the lower plastic sidewall, installed the modified door, and was able to insert the post into the flange of the modified door for a perfect, snug fit.  (A new storage port door to replace the original one is on order from Dwincorp Sewer Hose Hatch Cover 9000 Replacement hatch for Sani-Tube | DW Inc ).

With all of the fitting now complete, it was time to bolt the post to the beams.  With the post clamped in place, I marked the bolt positions on the underside of the post, then removed the post, and drilled a 1" hole at each bolt position.  Then I reinstalled the post with clamps and used a six inch extension on my drill to reach up through the 1" holes in the post and bore a 1/4" hole through the beams at each bolt position.  After this I used a driver extension to feed each bolt through the 1" holes, on up through the holes in the beam, and secured them in place with a nut above.

I used a pyramid post cap on the other end.  It's held in place with a 6" carriage bolt, secured with a lock nut on the other end.  I can easily remove the cap to provide drainage for when rinsing (water also drains through the 1" bolt access holes).

While I was at it under there, I decided to copy Larry Wade's idea for a fishing pole storage tube using 3" ABS pipe.  I secured it with 3" hose clamps bolted against the back side of each skid.  For the locking end cap, I had to manufacture a clevis pin using the upper part of a 6" bolt.  The end cap itself was a bit tricky.  It fit too tightly, so I had to increase the bore on the inside of the cap just a bit.  I don't own a lathe, so I just used a drill press with a 2" forstner bit, repeatedly carving at it all the way around.  The result was fine.

Now it's time to get our second vaccination shots, and get back out on the road!

Photos:
  1. Vinyl fence post bolted in place
  2. Passenger side end cap in place
  3. Fitting complete, with hacked door, post still clamped (not bolted yet)
  4. Detail showing hacked door, alongside original Sanitube port (new door on order for that)
  5. Underside detail of completed work, including fishing pole tube to the left

Regards,

Tim

2014 Mid-Bath
2014 Honda CRV toad

Re: Storage Solution for Sewer Hoses and Attachments
Reply #1
Looks Awesome! Thank you for sharing!
Sam