Skip to main content
Topic: Selling a Lazy Daze (Read 967 times) previous topic - next topic
Selling a Lazy Daze
For those who have sold... what is the best way to handle that amount of money?

Cashier's  check and when it clears they can pick it up?
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Selling a Lazy Daze
Reply #1
Go to a branch of their bank, buyer calls ahead to have that much cash available to withdraw or get a cashiers check. Do not leave your tag on the LD....if they get tickets on toll roads it is on you.
If they do not have a bank in your town make phone calls to bank manager to verify cashiers check. If I am buying and they are asking 30k. I get a cashiers check for 20k and 10k in cash so if inspection warrants a.reduction in price you are set. Banks hold checks for 7 to 10 days. Cash is king.
2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe
2016 Twin King 24ft
2017 Casita Independence Dlx
2004 Midbath 26.5

Reply #2
It would depend on the state.  In my state it's just like selling a car. 

Title, Car, Cash.  No gets all 3 until the sale is complete. 

I would only accept a cashiers check if I walked into the bank with the buyer and watched the bank issue the check.  My preference would be to have the money wired and I would sign the title over once the wire is complete.  If possible, I would do this in a bank with the title on the table in plain sight and the vehicle in the parking lot. 

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #3
It would depend on the state.  In my state it's just like selling a car. 

Title, Car, Cash.  No gets all 3 until the sale is complete. 

I would only accept a cashiers check if I walked into the bank with the buyer and watched the bank issue the check.  My preference would be to have the money wired and I would sign the title over once the wire is complete.  If possible, I would do this in a bank with the title on the table in plain sight and the vehicle in the parking lot. 

Rich

California
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #4
My recent purchase from a private sale in Florida:
I brought 2 certified checks plus $6k cash
The sellers and it went to his bank to versify funds and deposit into his account. Based on the verification by his bank, his bank committed to clearing the check by the next morning.
In the bank he added my name to the title but he kept the title.
The next morning we went to the DMV to complete the bill of sale and get temporary plates so I could drive the rig home.

Although it may seem like a lot. It actually took very little time and gave both the sellers and myself a sense of comfort.
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #5
Another private sale experience in Florida.  The seller lived in Florida and I flew out from California.  We had exchanged numerous emails and phone calls prior to that and had already agreed on the price so I had a certified bank check already made out in the seller's name.  After my inspection and agreement that the condition was represented fairly, we headed to the local Florida DMV office to conduct the transaction. He received my check and I received the title and temporary registration. He also gave me the keys to the rig but since it was late in the day I opted to wait until the following morning to take actual possession.  I also wanted to wait until the next morning so he could deposit the check into his bank before we met up again.  There was a trust factor on both sides but it all worked out.  :)
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
When I bought mine from someone in Washington state, they were hesitant about cashier's check, so I payed in cash. Lot of money to carry around, but made it through.

I was VERY lucky they left the plates on, I personally would have taken them off. But I provided a bill of sale copy from their state and all so they were able to notify of owner change to the state.

Later on in Texas where I needed to register it, because of covid it took forever to get that all done. I mentioned i got lucky that they left the plates since I found myself in a tollway, but of course texted the previous owner and payed that off myself.

Overall have good communication when selling, also when buying!
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #7
When I sold our 2010 LD we agreed on an electronic funds transfer from the buyers bank to our bank. When the transfer was confirmed, the buyer took possession of the coach. The ownership papers changeover was also completed at the same time.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #8
There must be easier ways to do this, but this is what we did.

When we purchased our LD and agreed on a price (pending inspection), I asked the owner to open a checking account at my bank. 

The reason being:

I discovered (much to my dismay) that National Banks do not trust Certified checks (because of the large number of forgeries).

And they would not release the funds to the Seller from the Certified check for 3-5 business days. 

This was during the height of the pandemic when it was near impossible to meet person-to-person with anyone.

I paid any small fees that may have generated by the Seller's opening the checking account if any.

After the RV inspection, the purchase price was mutually agreed to be lowered for the agreed repair to be made.

We met at the bank.  I transferred the agreed amount directly into the sellers checking account, and the Notary at the bank acknowledged their signature on the Title.  I drove the LD to it's new home.

Done. 

Cheers!

Tony R. (aka codefour)
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Reply #9
Go to a branch of their bank, buyer calls ahead to have that much cash available to withdraw or get a cashiers check. Do not leave your tag on the LD....if they get tickets on toll roads it is on you.

Tags stay with the vehicles in Calif., so check with the state DMV.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #10
For those who have sold... what is the best way to handle that amount of money?

Cashier's  check and when it clears they can pick it up?

I like to have them meet me at my bank with cash, that way the teller runs it through the verification machine and I can make the deposit right then. I’m not holding on to large amounts of cash and I’m not waiting for checks to clear.  Write “Sold as is” on the bill of sale. Once your paperwork is complete, you are no longer responsible for fees or tickets accrued by the buyers. Be sure to mail the waiver of liability asap. I've always been very clear with my expectations and I've never had a problem.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #11
Be sure to mail the waiver of liability asap.

Better yet, do the release of liability online ASAP.  I sold a vehicle last year to a guy who was buying it for his son.  Turns out the son had some issues and was involved in a crime soon after I sold the vehicle, and said vehicle was impounded. A few weeks later I got an impound notice in the mail. Thankfully, I was able to prove I was not the owner or liable at the time the vehicle was impounded.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
I'm putting together a web page for when I sell our LD.
Do you think it's too "wonky" to include the list below?
What's your opinion as I try to organize the list? How should I organize it? Most recent first?

This is a rough draft:

Recent Service

Onan Generator fully serviced (03/15/2021)
Braking system fully serviced  (02/13/2020)
Complete tune-up including new sparkplug wires 03/23/2020
Engine oil (Mobil 1) and filter changed (04/03/2021)

Upgrades/Replacements

New Trojan T-105+ House Batteries (2021)
 New engine battery (2021)
 New Parallax Automatic Transfer Switch (2021)
 New Escape Hatch Cover (2020)
 New ShadePro retractable awning shade (2018)
 New Dometic Refrigerator Cooling Unit and fans (2018)
  Dinosaur MICRO P-711 Refrigerator Control Board plus ignitor
  Dometic Eyebrow Control Panel.
   Dinosaur UIB S REV.10  Hot Water Heater Control Board plus new ignitor
   KONI Shock Absorbers
  Progressive Dynamics PD4645 Converter
  Solid Brass Tire Valve Extenders
 Tire Tracker TT-400C Tire Pressure Monitoring System
   Reupholstered in 2010 with new   cushions
  Vinyl flooring throughout coach
  JVC KD-X50BT stereo and 4 Polk Audio speakers
  SHURFLO 4008 RV REVOLUTION   water pump
  CLIPPER Battery Monitor
 Wired for vehicle charging during   a tow
   ETERNABOND sealed roof seams
  Fan-Tastic  all-weather Vent Covers   over bathroom and kitchen
  Fan-Tastic Fan in bathroom
  Swamp Cooler replaced with a Fan-Tastic fan
 BANKS TransCommand transmission shift module
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C Surge Protector
Camco Quickie Flush installed on the black tank

2021 Mid Bath

Reply #13
Hi,

I would use the format utilized by the forum. Don't forget lots of pictures; especially the roof and undercarriage.

Liinda P
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #14
Hi,

I would use the format utilized by the forum. Don't forget lots of pictures; especially the roof and undercarriage.

Liinda P

I will but I'm going to list it elsewhere and wherever I list it I want to include a link to the page I'm making. Thanks
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #15
I think the LD format provides the essential information with a follow-up of upgrades and service records.
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #16
As a buyer, I would want all of the details.

As a seller, the job of the ad is to get interested and serious buyers to inquire.

In this market, just posting that you have an RV for sale with a few pictures should be enough.  You might not even need the pictures.

Unfortunate, but I think it's true. 

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #17
As a buyer, I am of the mind the more information the better!  You could break down your improvements by categorizing them, ie., exterior, interior, electrical, mechanical, etc. rather than just presenting a long list.  A lot of people like to do YouTube videos of their rigs.  Honestly,  LD’s that have been kept up like yours will practically sell themselves if priced reasonably. Good luck with your upcoming sale!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #18
As a buyer, I am of the mind the more information the better!  You could break down your improvements by categorizing them, ie., exterior, interior, electrical, mechanical, etc. rather than just presenting a long list.  A lot of people like to do YouTube videos of their rigs.  Honestly,  LD’s that have been kept up like yours will practically sell themselves if priced reasonably. Good luck with your upcoming sale!

I've never seen a seller's market like this.
I'm going to list it at the high end to see what happens.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #19
I've never seen a seller's market like this.
I'm going to list it at the high end to see what happens.

Might as well. You’re on the list for a new one, right?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #21

I appreciate the suggestion to break the list down into categories.
Thank you.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #22
Hi Ted; I agree with Greg to group by areas. I'd also start with mileage. I don't read much of ads after 120,000 miles.  I would include the approximate years of options and upgrades. Color too, although the pictures will reveal that. Things I look for are LED lighting both external and internal, and solar, with an eye on extending trips without hookups or much generator use. Hours on the generator.
    Are any camping accessories included?  Pots, pans, front windshield cover?  Age, condition of the tires and spare, lifting jack, tire change tools, water pressure regulator, water hoses, dump hose(s), extension cords and adaptors, etc.  I'm sure you've been looking at ads recently. Some out there are really good, many aren't.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #23
Ted, if I were looking I would want to see pictures of the roof and other problem areas. Although your list is extensive, I might think to myself why has so much stuff been replaced. I know better but someone else may not. Then again if someone is traveling to check it out it is nice to be armed with as much info as possible. I think these things pretty much sell them selves.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #24
Ted, if I were looking I would want to see pictures of the roof and other problem areas. Although your list is extensive, I might think to myself why has so much stuff been replaced. I know better but someone else may not. Then again if someone is traveling to check it out it is nice to be armed with as much info as possible. I think these things pretty much sell them selves.

Jon

I though that also.  Thank you for confirming.
I may just list the recent service and a few major upgrades but have the list ready.

Good idea on the roof, etc.
I took this a couple of days ago.

2021 Mid Bath