Skip to main content
Topic: Bringing out the shine in an old LD (Read 521 times) previous topic - next topic
Bringing out the shine in an old LD
My LD has been sitting out in the elements and looked really faded. I picked up a compounder/deoxidizer and a clay sponge and went to work. I first washed it with a car wash detergent, then I went over it with a clay sponge. After that, I got out my electric orbital buffer and went over it with the deoxidizer. You know you have a quality paint when it can still shine up like this after 30 years with just a little attention. I haven’t even waxed it yet and it really shines. My neighbor from across the street came over to tell me that it looks really glossy from her house.  The pictures are from different stages of the process.  (I haven’t done anything to the back of the LD yet because I’m about to seal the vertical seams).

I’m not endorsing or recommending products, but this is what I used:
The Avid Power Buffer Polisher 6” orbital buffer, but any good buffer will work.
Products: Griots Garage, Clay sponge, and Complete Compound
Next I plan to use Griots Garage Complete Polish and Best Show Wax
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Re: Bringing out the shine in an old LD
Reply #1
Beautiful!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
Wow! I'm impressed.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
My LD has been sitting out in the elements and looked really faded. I picked up a compounder/deoxidizer and a clay sponge and went to work. I first washed it with a car wash detergent, then I went over it with a clay sponge. After that, I got out my electric orbital buffer and went over it with the deoxidizer. You know you have a quality paint when it can still shine up like this after 30 years with just a little attention. I haven’t even waxed it yet and it really shines. My neighbor from across the street came over to tell me that it looks really glossy from her house.  The pictures are from different stages of the process.  (I haven’t done anything to the back of the LD yet because I’m about to seal the vertical seams).
What brand orbital buffer and compounder/deoxidizer did you use?
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #4
Very nice! I only discovered what a great help a clay bar can be a couple years ago.
Steve
2003TK

Reply #5
Really impressive! You are inspiring me to get to it!

Can you post the details of the products you used? Maybe a pic of the brands/ bottles?

Good work.

Thanks!
Tina
1992 26.5, RB, E350
“Because no matter how small an act of kindness or generosity or simple positivity you put out into the world, it will make a difference.”
—Wonder Woman

Reply #6
What brand orbital buffer and compounder/deoxidizer did you use?

Chris,
I have an Avid Power Buffer Polisher orbital buffer and I used products from Griots Garage, all ordered from Amazon.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB

Reply #7
Really impressive! You are inspiring me to get to it!

Can you post the details of the products you used? Maybe a pic of the brands/ bottles?

Good work.

Thanks!
Tina

The Avid Power Buffer Polisher 6” orbital buffer, but any good buffer will work.

I worked with 2’x2’ sections at a time, putting on and taking off. I took my time and repeated areas when needed. The compound went on and came off easily this way. I tried an area with the polish and it went on and off even easier now that the paint is clean and smooth.  I only worked on it during the cool times of the day and when I had shade. It’s a big job for one person so plan for a few days if you want to do it.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB

Reply #8
Pat yourself on the back, that looks great...

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #9
Wow nice. Griot's I've found makes a really good product. I'm a big fan of their Brilliant Finish car wash with a soap gun attachment and 3-1 Ceramic Spray.
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #10
That looks great.
I just went over mine.
Wash, polish compound with random orbital buffer, and then carnuba wax.
2 day job.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #11
I just went over mine.
Wash, polish compound with random orbital buffer, and then carnuba wax.
2 day job.

Pictures please!
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB

Reply #12
Ophelia is in need of some tlc as well! Thanks for sharing! Beautiful!
Juanita's Thoughts
2005 30' TB

Reply #13

I worked with 2’x2’ sections at a time, putting on and taking off. I took my time and repeated areas when needed. The compound went on and came off easily this way. I tried an area with the polish and it went on and off even easier now that the paint is clean and smooth.  I only worked on it during the cool times of the day and when I had shade. It’s a big job for one person so plan for a few days if you want to do it.

This looks amazing!! How did you take the compound off, did you use a different foam pad on your orbital? Also did you clean your pads or just buy a bunch of them??
1999 RK

Reply #14
This looks amazing!! How did you take the compound off, did you use a different foam pad on your orbital? Also did you clean your pads or just buy a bunch of them??

First, thank you!  I used microfiber cloths to remove the compound polish. Some areas I went over more than once. I washed the foam pads with dish detergent when they needed it. It seemed to work out just fine. LD uses great quality paint, and several coats so a little attention and it shines right up!
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB