Skip to main content
Topic: Old horizontal propane tanks not filling  (Read 326 times) previous topic - next topic
Old horizontal propane tanks not filling
Anybody have some problematic issues not being able to fill the old horizontal propane tanks on the 22’?  I can’t seem to get it out if I can’t get it in. Hard to keeps these gals happy in the cold and hungry. The ole “you gotta be tough to live in the West” is runnin’ thin.
'83 22' MP
‘06 26.5 MB
The highway sets the travelers stage
All exits look the same
                                    ~ The Avett Brothers

Re: Old horizontal propane tanks not filling
Reply #1
Anybody have some problematic issues not being able to fill the old horizontal propane tanks on the 22’?  I can’t seem to get it out if I can’t get it in. Hard to keeps these gals happy in the cold and hungry. The ole “you gotta be tough to live in the West” is running thin.

Does your 1983 LD have a horizontal, permanently mounted tank?
Both Steve and I owned 1983 22' Front Lounges and both had removable, 40-lb tanks.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Both Steve and I owned 1983 22' Front Lounges and both had removable, 40-lb tanks.

Ditto on my ‘85 TK.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
Likewise on my 1985 22' twin/king (see photo). I was surprised to hear that a 1983 LD had a horizontally mounted (ASME) tank, rather than a vertical DOT tank such as the one pictured here. But maybe the RB was different? (I assume "RB" is the same as the Front Lounge or Front Dinette models.)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Just a thought: might the OP be confusing 'horizontal' and 'vertical'?  :-\
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Just a thought: might the OP be confusing 'horizontal' and 'vertical'?  :-\

Maybe, if it has the vertical tank, it is replaceable and possibly serviceable, by a qualified propane dealer or distributor.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-King-40-lbs-Empty-Propane-Cylinder-with-Overfill-Protection-Device-Valve-YSN401/301699250

Larry
Larry

Reply #6
I’m pretty green, but I’m more than fairly certain it’s the horizontal permanently mounted (ASME) tank that I’ve read references to here. Just haven’t found many in problems with the fill valve Larry. It worked sorta and then think the next petroleum transfer engineer let the LP escape it appears. Dropping the tank sounds like a joy.
'83 22' MP
‘06 26.5 MB
All exits look the same
                                    ~ The Avett Brothers

Reply #7
There are several propane suppliers in and around Portland; you might want to call around and check which are able to diagnose problems and offer repair services.

YMMV, as always.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
There are several propane suppliers in and around Portland; you might want to call around and check which are able to diagnose problems and offer repair services.
YMMV, as always.

A qualified shop should be able to replace the fill fitting, and the other fittings, with the tank in place. The tank needs to be empty.
It's a chance to replace the propane regulator, its diaphragm wears out or rots with time.
Have the propane's system set to 11-in/h2o, with two propane appliances running.

Larry
Larry

Reply #9
Th
A qualified shop should be able to replace the fill fitting, and the other fittings, with the tank in place. The tank needs to be empty.
It's a chance to replace the propane regulator, its diaphragm wears out or rots with time.
Have the propane's system set to 11-in/h2o, with two propane appliances running.

Larry

Thanks Larry, I’ll look into getting those things addressed and getting the LP flowing smooth again.
'83 22' MP
‘06 26.5 MB
All exits look the same
                                    ~ The Avett Brothers

Reply #10
It can be difficult to find RV repair shops which provide skilled, knowledgeable service, experienced and savvy techs, fair pricing, and good customer service. Ditto locating shops which service and repair engines and systems, tire shops, and/or whatever else - and this can be a long list! - of what needs maintaining or repairing on an RV. Some shops are very selective about which services they will do, and many (in the case of most LDs) Ford truck centers refuse to work on RVs. The already tenuous 'fix it' situation is exacerbated by the massive numbers of new RVs spewing forth, many of very poor build quality and lack of manufacturer and/or dealer support; repairs on these are necessary from the get-go, further clogging available RV repair services. There has been a shortage of trained, qualified, skilled RV service techs for many years, and it will get worse (IMO) as more an more RVs are sold. If/when an owner finds a shop with a competent, trained, and stable workforce, I suggest working diligently to establish and maintain a relationship with the shop owner and techs, and educating oneself to become an 'informed consumer' and understand the RV's systems and components.

Nooner might try this shop in Portland; I have no personal experience, but reviews from a few sources appear to suggest that they're worth checking out.

Home - rosecityrv.info

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Seems like the tank was overfilled and showing signs of being empty with liquid in the system. Gauge in house showing empty, gauge at tank of little help and burners going off. On the road again after purging the fluid the other day. 
'83 22' MP
‘06 26.5 MB
All exits look the same
                                    ~ The Avett Brothers

Reply #12
Seems like the tank was overfilled and showing signs of being empty with liquid in the system. Gauge in house showing empty, gauge at tank of little help and burners going off. On the road again after purging the fluid the other day. 

A picture of your tank controls would be helpful. Usually, the tank gauge has the sensor the panel uses for its reading. The gauge can be cleaned if the indicator is stuck. If the float is stuck, at some point you should have the gauge pulled and repaired or replaced, with an empty tank, of course.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit