Skip to main content
Topic: Painting the faux windows  (Read 200 times) previous topic - next topic
Painting the faux windows
The faux windows on my 91 LD were looking really worn. I washed the front area down with Krud Kutter until clean. The most daunting task for me was how to tape off around the rounded corners. I put wide masking tape on some parchment paper and used a circle die in my craft die cutting machine to make clean rounded masking tape and cut them in half (but you could use any round object to make your template). I was able to peel the tape off the parchment paper to adhere to the paint. It worked better than I expected and the rest was easy to mask off. I used some plastic and paper paint tarps to protect the area around the windows from the work.
I sanded first with a 1000 grit paper and electric sander, it worked great to smooth the ridges where the paint had cracked, then I buffed it with a 3500 grit, wiped it down with a soft cloth and washed it down with cleaning alcohol. Once dry, I sprayed it with a couple coats of Rustolium filler and primer.
I’m letting this dry overnight and will sand and buff again and respray if needed. Lastly I will put on a couple of coats of black Rustolium oil-based paint.
I will update as I progress.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Re: Painting the faux windows
Reply #1
While you are at it, add a few coats of Clear Coat.  It has UV protectants in it, and will make your efforts last longer.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Re: Painting the faux windows
Reply #2
Also add that wide eyed kid looking out the window. You know the Norman Rockwellesk face of a kid, and maybe a dog, eyes wide and mouth agape.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath