Skip to main content
Topic: Windshield Washer hose replacement (Read 206 times) previous topic - next topic
Windshield Washer hose replacement
A critter seems to have chewed through my '08's windshield washer hose.  I have been trying to figure out how to replace the hose, but for the life of me, I cannot spot the lower part where it connects to the pump.  Heck, I can't even spot the reservoir!  As best I can figure, I will need to pull the battery, then the battery tray, to get to where the washer fluid reservoir is, but even then I will probably be looking at the top of the reservoir, but the pump, and the hose connection are likely to be low.

Before I blindly tear into this, is there a better way to go to replace the hose? 

Thanks

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Re: Windshield Washer hose replacement
Reply #1
"I cannot spot the lower part where it connects to the pump."

If you can reach any portion of the hose perhaps you can splice it!  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Steve, the break is below where I can reach, so I have one end available, but not the other.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #3
Ken

I poked around the Internet and found this photo of the windshield washer fluid reservoir and pump assembly. This seems to be the part for your chassis and suggests that the hose connects to the pump at the bottom of the reservoir.

Ford Windshield Washer Reservoir (with Washer Pump) Ford OEM 8C2Z-17618-A

I also noted that some Econoline models have two pumps, one in/at the reservoir and one mounted to the chassis. So, perhaps you’ll find a pump with a fluid hose mounted to the chassis below the reservoir.

Hope this helps

Warren
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #4
Thanks, Warren, but my issue is how to get to the hose-pump connection, and perhaps the reservoir.  The reservoir and pump are ok, but the hose is in two pieces, with the break buried between the fender wall and other stuff.  If I could find the lower end of the hose (so far no luck there) I could simply feed a new hose down and slide it onto the pump, but crawling around underneath, I found nothing that looked like the hose.

Ken F in NM.
'08 MB

Reply #5
Follow-up:

I picked up 6 feet of 1/4" I.D. vacuum hose and a barbed junction, not knowing what I would find,  I removed the battery and tray.  I immediately was able to see the lower part of the chewed hose from the chewed end to where it disappeared below the reservoir.  I clipped off the damaged section, pushed on the barbed junction, added the new hose, put on two wire ties on the barbed junction as an extra precaution, threaded the new hose where the old hose had been, fastened it up top, then put the tray and battery back in.

Time to test it.  I got in the cab and turned the key to the on position.  I pressed the windshield washer.  Voila!  I had washer solution on my windshield.  Total time to do the job, including spraying the battery connectors with acid detector/cleaner, checking fluid level in the battery, and putting everything away, about 1.5 hours.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #6
Ken, I just had a great idea.  You've heard of the "Cat Strap," I'm sure.  How about a "Rat Strap" to protect hoses?   :D
Good to hear you were able to fix the problem!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
Thanks Greg.  I had not been looking for a way to do the jose repair without pulling the battery, but that was the only way.  It went easier than expected except for the battery itself.  That was a lot of weight in an awkward position.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #8
Hi Ken, Greg;  A friend gave me a roll of tape from Honda.  Seems that in an attempt to be green, insulation on electrical wiring was made from some tempting material that caused rats and mice to go for the wire.  So they came out with this tape to wrap around parts of wiring harnesses to protect them. The tape is just 'hot sauce'   Don't know if it works, or might attract some rats that like it hot!.  Genuine Honda Rodent Tape - 4019-2317
Might be available somewhere less expensive. Might be worth a try.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB