Skip to main content
Topic: Power Supply Center. (Read 187 times) previous topic - next topic
Power Supply Center.
Need some help in figuring out how to remedy this electrical problem that seems to be related to the power supply center. I am plugged into shorepower and have voltage there.  In the rig, I have no power to the 110v outlets. Circuit breakers not tripped. Pilot light for microwave on, have not checked voltage there. Battery charger not working nor am I getting charge from the truck battery. Ran the truck engine for half an hour at idle so should be getting some charge from the truck battery but have not opened up the truck fuse box to check. House battery effectively dead. This is on a 2015 27 MB, not that old, I would hate to think that the power center is shot.  'Bout to head up there with my VOM and do some serious circuit checking. Bit of a hassle as where we keep the rig is about 45 miles from  home. Would appreciate your thoughts, Thanks,
Ian
Silver Fox
Seattle
2015 MB

Re: Power Supply Center.
Reply #1
The microwave is simply plugged into an outlet behind the unit, so if it works, you DO have 120V at the circuit breaker load center. Start your search there, perhaps a loose wire at a breaker, or a defective breaker, or a tripped GFI if the pedestal wiring is incorrect.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
The microwave and the 110/120v outlets are on different breakers.  As Steve says, a working microwave is a good sign that narrows your list of possible problems.

The 110/120v outlet breaker should also be GFCI.  If you have no power to any of the outlets, breaker and/or GFCI should be checked.

Double check to see if there is power at any of the outlets.  Outlets are typically wired so each is downstream from the previous one.  You can have no power at the end of the line while there is power closer to the front of the line.

On a Mid-Bath, the outside outlet near the water heater can have issues with water intrusion.  When it does, it can rust the springs holding the wires into the outlet.  Over time, this causes intermittent or no connection and loss of power on the downstream outlets. 

If you can find the last outlet with power, check the wires connected to it in the back.  Figuring out exactly which order the outlets are wired in can take some detective work along with some guessing. 

This thread might help: Three outlets have stopped working

There are other things that could be causing your problems, but the issue I describe is one many MB owners have seen.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #3
Regarding the wall outlet breaker GFCI if tripped may be hard to see. Flipping the breaker up may not reset the breaker. You can push the breaker switch downward to turn off power to the breaker completely until it locks in place. Wait a few seconds then push the tripped breaker up until it locks in place.

I lost wall outlets this morning possibly due to an electric heater I brought on this weeks journey to Zion. The pedestal had power entering the rig. The microwave had power but none of the wall outlets had power.

After resetting the breaker completely, everything worked correctly.

Hope this helps.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Hi Ian;  The GFCI handle when tripped almost looks on. You have to turn it off to reload the spring, then turn it on, as Kent said.
    The truck battery does nothing with the house batteries. They are isolated from each other, intentionally, by a relay switch that closes when the engine is running, to connect the alternator to all of the batteries, and isolates when the engine is off, in your 2015.   The converter charges only the house battery(s).  Your SB3000i solar controller shows the voltage from the panels as applied to the house batteries.  Check the house battery shutoff is turned on. The truck (chassis) fuses have nothing to do with the motorhome batteries or charging.
    Also check the two green 30 amp fuses on the power converter 12v. fuse panel.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
I'm sure your MB is different than our older model, but ours didn't have a GFI in the electrical panel but did have a GFI outlet  over the kitchen sink that protected all outlets down stream of it. GFI's are a little finicky.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #6
"On a Mid-Bath, the outside outlet near the water heater can have issues with water intrusion.  When it does, it can rust the springs holding the wires into the outlet. Over time, this causes intermittent or no connection and loss of power on the downstream outlets. "

Or tripping of the GFCI. I'd look there first.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"