Skip to main content
Topic: The end is near ! (Read 1012 times) previous topic - next topic
The end is near !
For the current server that is. 

The server that has hosted the site from the beginning is in desperate need of upgrades.  Unfortunately to do that on the existing server is not the best path, and instead moving to a new server is underway.  The new one will of course have more processing power, memory, disk space, speed all the goodies you get with new(er) hardware.  We are currently very tight on storage and memory so getting some breathing room will be nice.

Also being updated is the server software, the version we are running is EOL.  That means its difficult to patch for security and newer versions of the most important software does not want to run on it.  We are now 3 generations back and trying to upgrade that "stack" to the most recent is just ugly.

Since that is not enough, the version of the forum software we are running is also EOL, so that will be updated to the most recent as well.  There will be some subtle visual changes, and some new features, but nothing that I would call major in terms of how you use it.  Everything one normally does should be no different.

Lastly we are trying out a new version of the "media" area.  Now this is a different software so the interface will be different, but then again the current Media section has a large collection of delightful quirks.  This will likely be after the move, but its something being worked on.

This weekend is the target to move, which means the site will begin to display an "in maintenance mode" page.  I've done as much as possible to prepare for the move so the downtime *should* be only a few hours.  The new server has a new IP address, as such name servers need to be updated.   Depending on your host that can take some time, up to a day for some, nothing to do on your end it just happens. 

After we are back, I'd expect some issues that will need to be resolved, email comes to mind, as does search.  Those can't be fully prepared ahead of the move so do expect some glitches here and there as things come back to life

Re: The end is near !
Reply #1
Steve, as always, thanks to you and Michelle for hosting us!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
Thank you; we appreciate it!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yes, thanks Steve for the heads-up and for all of your excellent support of the site!  I am grateful and appreciative of the significant effort involved.

Warren
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #5
Thanks and ( in my best Obey Won K’Nobe voice...” may the upgrades be with you”.  
Do ya like how I made him an Irishman just before the day of Patrick.  This all in the “ ‘ “ I tel ya. 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Everything wonderful about LDOF starts with the the kind spirt and dedication of its members.

Thanks for leading the pack.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #7
Thanks you for you hard work.

Randy
2018 31' TB

Reply #8
thank you - as a ex-sysop I understand the joy of upgrades and server maintenance. 

Have a beer on me.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #9
TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch).  There are costs involved in maintaining a software platform.
What are the economics of this, and are the contributions from the Amazon link sufficient to cover the normal costs?
Is there a separate donation mechanism to provide support (electronic tip jar perhaps)?
Thank you for taking on this process, the complexity of which you totally gloss over.
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #10
Joel stole my thought..... how can we contribute??  Dinner on us for the moderators???
2005 RB

Reply #11
If you are reading this, you know the site is back.  As always there were some unexpected difficulties that took a bit of time to resolve but I *believe* most, if not all, of the major functions are working.  

As you find problems and errors please let me know here or via PM so that I can address them.  I expect several theme glitches on various pages.  The updated theme works fine with the base software, but we have quite a few addons that have some difficulties with it.

I have not installed the new media section software, this is still the old version for now, just to much else going on ATM.

I know there are some theme quirks that need to be taken care of, and I've not had the chance to test things on mobile/pad devices.  The site is not (yet) running any compression or CDN for the data it servers, this is just to allow me to fix things quickly.

So welcome back and stick with us while we get everything ironed out.

Reply #13
Steve, the display was off on my iPhone at first, i.e., categories displayed to the  left of the screen with a blank vertical strip on the right. Seems to be resolved now. Thanks for everything!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Thanks, Steve!
On my iPad, before I could tell if there was an unread post but now there is no indicator.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #15
Steve, the display was off on my iPhone at first, i.e., categories displayed to the  left of the screen with a blank vertical strip on the right. Seems to be resolved now. Thanks for everything!
Good, that was reported and I made a change which seems to have resolved it.
Thanks, Steve!
On my iPad, before I could tell if there was an unread post but now there is no indicator.
Humm .... to check!

Reply #16
The missing "new" flag on the community tab/page is should now be fixed

Reply #18
Steve C
Thanks for the good work

Reply #19
Steve, as you know, the first 90% of the project takes the first 90% of the resources.  The rest of the project takes the other 90%
Great job. Now for the gremlins.
Thanks
Joel

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #20
Congrats on getting the new server working, Steve!
2005 Mid Bath

Reply #21
Hey Steve, I just noticed the new left-right navigation arrows when looking at a post with multiple pictures.  Nice... thanks 😊

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #22
Fabulous work! Thank you so much.
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #23
Thanks Steve, great job!

I had initial difficulties when the link I had been using led me to a dead end. But, Lazy Bones 2 rode in to rescue me from certain frustration and helped reestablish the path, not only in IE but Chrome as well.

Now I can relax and go happily back to my nappy chair!  :D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #24
Looks great on my laptop, running google chrome, but the Image of the Month is not showing.  Not perfect on my android phone.  Header is great on the android,  the Welcome, Recent Topics and Recent Gallery Images are squashed to the left.  After that User Info and everything else shows as normal. 
Thanks for all the great work on maintaining this amazing resource.
Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.