Skip to main content
Topic: Any new products to brighten faded or oxidized paint? (Read 431 times) previous topic - next topic
Any new products to brighten faded or oxidized paint?
I have spent a bit of time searching here for tips on how to put a shine to the front (hood and front doors) of my faded 2006 LD. I understand the red color is prone to fading. Is there a newish polish or wax product out there that you all recommend? I would love to have it repainted but thousands of dollars to do so is not in the budget. TIA.

Ted
2006 RB

Re: Any new products to brighten faded or oxidized paint?
Reply #1
I have spent a bit of time searching here for tips on how to put a shine to the front (hood and front doors) of my faded 2006 LD. I understand the red color is prone to fading. Is there a newish polish or wax product out there that you all recommend? I would love to have it repainted but thousands of dollars to do so is not in the budget. TIA.

Ted
Ted, there have been many discussions about what to use to restore the luster on LDs as they age and oxidize. Best I can remember, nothing has been reported that really restores faded or oxidized paint. My LD is red and I've tried numerous products over the last years and nothing really restores the original color. Different products might make faded paint look a little better, but that as good as it's been for me. Coconut oil gives a temporary shine to faded, oxidized colors but eventually the shine dissipates. If you find some wonder product, please post about it.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Hi Ted; I got a 2001 MB red, in 2017 for a friend, and it was in poor shape. I had a 4" buffing wheel on a power drill and figured I had nothing to lose (my friend said 'go for it!').  I got some Meguiar wax, cleaner  https://www.autozone.com/wash-cleaners-and-exterior-care-products/wax/meguiar-s-cleaner-wax-liquid-16oz/555029_0?rrec=true
It has some abrasive, very little, so it took a while but I think it did well. I don't think I would use a fast 'cutting' polish unless you've done it before on a different vehicle.    I'll include a picture. The door is more polished, I hadn't done the fender yet.  I'm sure others will have product advice too.
    I like the ultimate wax for final waxing now.  Meguiar's® Ultimate Liquid Wax, G18216, 16 oz., Liquid, Applicator, Towel |...         RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
Hi Ted; I got a 2001 MB red, in 2017 for a friend, and it was in poor shape. I had a 4" buffing wheel on a power drill and figured I had nothing to lose (my friend said 'go for it!').  I got some Meguiar wax, cleaner  https://www.autozone.com/wash-cleaners-and-exterior-care-products/wax/meguiar-s-cleaner-wax-liquid-16oz/555029_0?rrec=true
It has some abrasive, very little, so it took a while but I think it did well. I don't think I would use a fast 'cutting' polish unless you've done it before on a different vehicle.    I'll include a picture. The door is more polished, I hadn't done the fender yet.  I'm sure others will have product advice too.
    I like the ultimate wax for final waxing now.  Meguiar's® Ultimate Liquid Wax, G18216, 16 oz., Liquid, Applicator, Towel |...         RonB

Reply #4
I have been happy with the results from the Meguiars products and an electric buffer.  I'm going to be deoxidizing and waxing my LD soon.  Right now I'm scraping and replacing the weather stripping on my coach door.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #5
I have been happy with the results from the Meguiars products and an electric buffer.  I'm going to be deoxidizing and waxing my LD soon.  Right now I'm scraping and replacing the weather stripping on my coach door.
I've never used a buffer. Let us know how it comes out. Maybe some before and after pix.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
Hi Chris;  I use my Ryobi 10" buffer routinely.  It is the older blue corded model.. I notice the new ones are Ryobi 'green', and battery powered. Ryobi 18v ONE+ 10" Orbital Buffer - Tool Box Buzz Tool Box Buzz        I don't use abrasive waxes. One thing to remember is to avoid the pinstriping decals. The motion across the decals can take off the edges. So that part is done by hand in line with the decals. I apply the wax by hand with a rag, then buff out the surface.
   I also try to avoid sharp corners, hinges on the compartment doors at the ends, latches, easy on the screw heads, etc.   RonB

Reply #7
I have a 2007, 31 foot 2 tone brown-white which still looks VERY GOOD  and I get lots of of unsolicited  praise on how the

LD looks.  Two times a year wash and wax I do over 3 days.    I know  this will not help when you have the faded unit but

if you recover,  keep 2 times a year in mind, just saying and good luck.

Bob Wilson
2007 31 IB

Reply #8
Meguiar's has been around a long time. They provide a variety of solutions for keeping your Lazy Daze in better looking condition. Choosing the right combination of products makes a big difference, so choose wisely for your needs.
That said, I prefer to let the patina of age show. Mine is grey and after 25 years it's showing it's age. One side is worse than the other because of the way I point my rig.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #9
Since The LD is aircraft aluminum and is painted with a very similar paint, has anyone ever tried aircraft paint restore products ?
I did some quick searching and found this.

SUPERBIRD Aircraft Paint Restoration System — Superbird

I have not used this and I am not endorsing the product, just wondering if anyone has used it before.

Brad & Kelly
LD 2005 Rear Bath