Skip to main content
Topic: RV propane sensor  (Read 957 times) previous topic - next topic
RV propane sensor
Good Morning, my wife and I were awoken last night with the sensor buzzing around 12:30 am. Opening up the vents and putting the fans on I checked and the light was red. After pressing the button and shutting off it did beep off once again. Maybe one minute later everything stopped and light returned to green. Nothing since. Any ideas before I get manual out.  Thanks
2017 MB

Re: RV propane sensor
Reply #1
Try blowing it out with air to see if that helps.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
So, you smelled nothing? One thing often forgotten is the oven pilot left 'ON' instead of 'PILOT OFF'. If pilot goes out for any reason, there will be a small propane leak there. Also check what other propane appliances may have been running, or an open window where an outside leak could find its way in...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
"Any ideas before I get manual out."

Do you have any flatulent pets? Or does the wife use hair spray? Both of these will set it off! A good way to test it is with a gas match. Light the flame on the gas match, blow out that flame and hold the tip of the match near the detector. It will trip the sensor into alarm but once removed it should reset.   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5

Hi Molly; I notice that you and Greg both have 2017 LD's.  So the propane detector sensor time out is 60 months, or 5 years, and you could be approaching that time. It will alarm, once and reset, but come on again after 3 days. You can reset it each time until 30 days, then it won't reset again.  If you remove the two screws, there is a sticker on the back with the build date.  
   I believe this one is the same size and won't require any modifications.   Amazon.com: MTI INDUSTRIES 30-442-P-BL Safe-T-Alert 30-442 12V Propane Alarm...
   I prefer the beige one at $46.40, Amazon.com: MTI Industries 30-442-P-BR Safe T Alert 30 Series Propane/LP Gas...   You can read the front panel on this picture that details the red, red, green, green End Of Life (EOL) signal. You should probably carry this spare with you.  For that matter I need to look at the back of mine to see where I stand. In my TK I carry a spare directly behind the operating one, plus crimp terminals. I always carry a crimp tool in the tool box.    RonB

edit: Amazon reminded me I bought one last in 2018, so I'm good for a while longer.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
Mine hasn't gone off yet but I do have it on the maintenance list to test it monthly (or weekly when camping).  I made a note to replace it next summer.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8
"Or a flatulent wife?"

Uhn uh, not going to bite on that bait!   :-[
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Are you guys trying to get me in trouble 🤫🤫
2017 MB

Reply #10
I'd suspect a sensor that needs to be replaced due to age.

Every 5-6 years or so I have to replace ours.  Failure pattern has been false alarms in the middle of the night.

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #11
“… In my TK I carry a spare directly behind the operating one…” —- RonB

A spare… what? a sensor?

If so, would this age out, even though not is use?
2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Reply #12
In my TK I carry a spare directly behind the operating one, plus crimp terminals.   

The sensors in propane detectors time out, no matter if they are powered up or not. They are contaminated by exposure to the atmosphere. The countdown starts on the day of manufacture, as is printed on the back of every sensor I have looked at.
It might be more cost-efficient to replace the detector on a five-year schedule and forget about carrying a spare.
I continue to use the wire nuts for the detector's power since the detector is sure to go bad again and requires another replacement. Using crimp terminals, after three or four changes, you will run out of wire. LD is very stingy when it comes to providing a service loop, to facilitate future maintenance.
Change a light fixture for a deeper understanding.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
Hi Keith. The new, complete replacement is wrapped in plastic, so not much should get to the actual 'IC' sensor.  The timer doesn't run until it is powered up.  I get a new one ready a few months before I need it. As Larry said, you don't want it sitting around too long.  I usually forget, but if it times out, you get 30 days, Amazon is fast enough that it hasn't presented a problem.
     I prepare by putting terminations on the wire to match the power cables. My TK has long leads by LD standards.   https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-4-in-Fully-Insulated-Wire-Disconnects-in-Blue-15-Pack-15-153M/202522092    I get paired female and male connectors. Blue for 14-16 gauge and red for smaller gauges, yellow for larger wire. Go for quality tinned copper, not aluminum.  If you use wirenuts, you don't lose any length of wire either.      RonB

Reply #14
My detector timed out recently. $50 from the Mothership plus shipping. $65 total cost.

When I removed the old one I snipped it’s wires close to its box and soldered the new one in place. LD had done their usual best to tuck the wire harness deep into the neighboring harness. Good job folks.

I wasn’t sure if wire nuts would insure the best connection so I took the added step of soldering the wires. At least I picked up the extra few inches of wire by scabbing the wires together. In 5 years, I’ll gain a few more inches. 🥴

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #15
Kent, the wiring does not carry a signal, just power.  So, the connection does not need to be super good.  Wire nuts should be fine.  The only risk would be if vibrations from traveling were to cause a wire nut to come loose.  In that case the green indicator light would go off, and you would know the unit had lost power.

Mine has just begun the "End Of Life" beep and lighting.  I ordered a replacement this morning, and will use wire nuts to install it.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #16
This happened to me twice...the house batteries needed replacing. I talked to Vince our guru he told me.

Reply #17
Hi Betty Jean;  The propane will alarm with low battery voltage, to let you know that you may not have 'protection' if it gets any lower.   But the EOL flashes the red twice, then the green twice, a definite sequence to tell you to replace the detector, and that it isn't repairable. You still have propane detector ability for the 30 days. If the warning happens while it is in storage, well it might just be defunct already.     That price from the factory plus shipping, that Kent mentioned, sounds like a really good deal.   RonB

Reply #19
Hi Molly; I notice that you and Greg both have 2017 LD's.  So the propane detector sensor time out is 60 months, or 5 years, and you could be approaching that time. It will alarm, once and reset, but come on again after 3 days. You can reset it each time until 30 days, then it won't reset again.  If you remove the two screws, there is a sticker on the back with the build date.

LP and CO detectors typically have a 5-7 year lifespan.  Smoke detectors 7-10 years.  The sensors definitely age-out and compared to the alternative if one were not to detect a real issue due to age, the cost to replace should not factor in.

We have a 2017 LTV and replaced our LP detector a couple of months ago due to similar alarm behavior.

Reply #20

My propane detector has started to beep for no reason so I'm thinking it's time to replace the (2017) original. The existing unit is black but I didn't see a black one on Amazon.  The one that Ron links to in Reply #5 is no longer available.  I think this white one will drop right into the existing mount but I noticed the model number is slightly different.  Thoughts?

Amazon.com: Safe T Alert 40-442-P-WT Propane/LP Gas Alarm - 12V, 40 Series...

Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #21
Greg,

I called the Mothership and they knew exactly what I needed (if in doubt the model # is printed on the back along with the manufacture date). $65 + shipping. Less than any on Amazon. Amazon didn’t have the matching model.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #22
Greg, I don’t know if newer LD models use a different LPG detector configuration, but (what was) my 2003 uses a 30-series MTI, not a 40-series; the “442” is the same. The MTI website lists all of their available products; I didn’t look to see if Amazon still sells the 30 series in any color.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #23
Thanks Joan and Kent.  I called the Mothership and they are out of stock and suggested looking online. I went ahead and ordered the 40 series flush mount (in white), even though the part number isn't exactly the same.  Hopefully it will fit ok . . . we will see!

Propane/LP Gas Alarms | MTI Industries
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #24

I'm not sure why I avoided the MTI ones when I replaced mine (think they got bought out by someone?)... but this is the one I used in my 2003 RB and it was a direct fit and so far works just fine ($43.90):
PANGAEA RV Propane Gas Alarm, 12V, Digital LP Gas Detector for Trailer, Motorhome, Motorcoach, 85dB Loud Alarm (Flush Mount - Black)
PANGAEA RV Propane Gas Alarm, 12V, Digital LP Gas Detector for Trailer,...

Jason

2003 Rear Bath
"Razor Crest"
Our first RV, purchased from the original owner 01/2022