Skip to main content
Topic: Specification needed : Wheel size for spare tire, 2000 MB (Read 778 times) previous topic - next topic
Specification needed : Wheel size for spare tire, 2000 MB
Good morning LD community,
Finally found a mechanic/ shop that would order, install and balance tires.
After many failed attempts and inquires I found a character bus company that is now servicing Class A and C Rv's.
My tires are in and appointment made for later this week.
Mechanic wanted to order the wheel for the spare once I have arrived for my appointment to ensure the correct wheel was orderd. Yes, no spare.
Well, as cold weather does to tires, it exposed a slow leak to the drivers side front tire. 21 days below zero here in Kansas.
I checked last weekend on the LD being stored in an enclosed unit, brought the air compressor from home and aired up tires, front tire down 30 psi. Went back yesterday (one week later) and it was down to 25 psi.
I am going back this morning and this evening to see if the air pressure holds.
Looks like I may have to order the wheel for the spare tire and have it changed out prior to traveling to the appointment with the mechanic.
Looked at the companion and LD manual and was not able to located specification for the wheel size.
Question: What is the specifications for the front wheel for a 2000 MB?
Thank you for your time, Kimberley in Kansas.
2000 Mid Bath

Re: Specification needed : Wheel size for spare tire, 2000 MB
Reply #1
A 2001 E-450 Chassis specs tire size LT225/75R16E.   Those should be mounted on a !6.0 x 6.0 in Rim. If that is the size of your tires on a 2000, the rims should be the same.

Reply #3
Thank you Joan.
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #4
I believe this the correct wheel. The wheel Joan linked to is for a Single Rear Wheel chassis. Best to check how many perimeter holes your current wheels have; it could be 4-hole or 8-hole. Our 2007 has 8-hole wheels.

Ford E350/E450 DRW Wheel

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #5
Wheels used for vehicles with duals must have the proper off-set, the measurement of how far the flange of the wheel, the part that bolts onto the axle, is from the edge of the wheel.
Duals wheels require a specified minimum distance between one tire and its mate, to allow cooling airflow between the two tires.
Too small a distance can land will lead to overheating a blowout. Tires that touch each other are candidates for early death.
Unless one knows or can find Ford's part number for the wheel, I would let the shop find the correct one, Since they service Class A and Class C's they should be knowledgeable about this.
The wheel shown by Joan is for a van with single rear wheels, the wheel Charles found should be the correct one, they sure look different. Still, I would seek the guidance of the shop to verify.

Since it takes a day or more for the one tire to leak down, it should hold well enough to make it to the shop, once the tires have been fully filled, assuming the shop isn't 200 miles away. Take the compressor with you to top off the pressure while on the road, if necessary, using the generator to run the compressor.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
I checked the wheel (that the spare tire is mounted on) on my 2003; the number on the wheel is F8UA-1015-AA. The wheel looks the same as the wheel in the link Charles provided (thank you).

It may be that the wheel for the 2000 DRW E-450 and the 2003 DRW E-450 are the same wheel, but the part number changed? (The wheel on my 2003 is OEM.) The link that Charles provided lists a one letter, i.e., a 'U' instead of an 'A', difference in the parts numbers, but states that the 'U' wheel is compatible with (DRW) E-450s from 1996-2007. I have no idea why the parts numbers would be different, but I would sure have the shop double check.

E450 DRW Wheel Steel #F8UZ1015AA
Make/Model/Year:
Ford E-350 DRW 1992-2007
Ford E-450 DRW 1996-2007

Apparently, it's time for my nap.

YMMV, as always.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Took the larger compressor today, it did still have the 30 psi from the day before when we used a portable smaller unit.
Will check the air pressure in the morning and we plan on taking the larger compressor in the Toyota Prius as a chaser vehicle.
Only have about 17 miles to the shop, will take the side streets instead of the highway.

We drove around the storage facility for about 5 minutes, seemed to hold at 65 psi.

Another issue presented itself:
I did notice a small slow leak from the gray water flange (I think this is what you call the part the exterior gray water dumps out of) . Or I should say that is the only place I could feel moisture and it was a very small amount of moisture on the pavement.  I did check the flange, it was tight. Unit was winterized in September. Checked the inside the unit and no water was noted in the bathroom around the toilet or under either sinks. After the extreme deep freeze I was not surprised. I know water leaks are going to happen to older plastic components, like sink faucets.

I will report what I find out about the wheel size, thanks so much, Kimberley
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #8
Hi Kimberley,

I wonder why your midbath does not have a spare tire and wheel? I hope you know that midbaths have the spare tire inside a storage compartment and not behind the rear spare tire cover. As far as I know, all Lazy Dazes were delivered from the factory with a spare tire and wheel. My 2003 has it in the exterior storage compartment under the passenger side sofa.

I know there have been some discussions about moving it to a location under the rig. Did the previous owner tell you they removed it?

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #9
Hi Steve;  Some people with MB's have stated that they don't carry the spare wheel, to make more room in the storage compartment. Supposedly you can run with just one tire where the dual is. Like those 'fake' space saver spares, limited speed, limited distance, you might get to a tire place. All of my eight cars, except the Oddysey' have full sized spares.
    Some people who have traveled to Alaska, say that they took two spare wheels (and tires) with them.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #10
I like the idea of relocating the spare to under the chassis.  Anyone done this on the MB?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
"Some people who have traveled to Alaska, say that they took two spare wheels (and tires) with them." 

Me thinks they were drinking too much Kool-Aid!

I've been to Alaska three times, once pulling a 30' TT Tandem Axel with a Ford E350 Window Van. The next two times was with my '04 30'IB LD.

Consequence? One of the four tires on the TT picked up a rock that punctured the casing. I was in Tok (rhymes with Coke). Less than a mile down the road there was a huge tire repair facility. I dismounted the tire, took it to the shop and was surprised that they had the exact tire, size and brand. They mounted and balanced the tire, I went back to camp, replaced tire and wheel and enjoyed a very good Salmon Bake that evening.   ;D   ;)

Score = TT one, LD = Zero
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #12
... Supposedly you can run with just one tire where the dual is. . . .
That will likely get you all the way to the spot where you need to have two replacement  ;) (2) tires.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #13
"Hi Steve;  Some people with MB's have stated that they don't carry the spare wheel, to make more room in the storage compartment. Supposedly you can run with just one tire where the dual is. Like those 'fake' space saver spares, limited speed, limited distance, you might get to a tire place. "
  RonB

There is no way in hell I would be traveling in a Class C without a spare tire! If you need the room occupied by the spare in a MB, in my opinion you are carrying too much crap. As much as I hate the look and idea of carrying a front of the grill mounted spare tire, I would do that before driving without a spare.

Driving on a just 3 tires on the back is really asking for trouble.

Back to Kinberley's situation, I wonder what the previous owner may have done with the spare tire and wheel? If they were willing to drive without it, why not at least keep it for any future owner? But maybe they were full timing and didn't have anyplace to store it? Any clues?

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #14
I had to add a place to carry a spare, on my (not LD) previous motorhome. I bought it used at 8 years old, and I replaced the rear bumper and added a spare. With many brands of class 'C' and class 'A', the spare is not included. An extra cost option, that many people don't get.  We are 'spoiled' by LD!      RonB

Reply #15
Good morning LD community,

When I took delivery of the 2000 LD in March of 2020, the spare tire was not with the unit. At the time I was focused on getting into a covered storage unit due to several rounds of hail producing storms. I paid a driver to deliver it here to Kansas (Pandemic was unfolding). The unit was inspected again once it arrived and no spare in the storage compartment.

Absolutely want/need a spare. My challenge here in central Kansas has been to find a shop/ mechanic for this Class C. I am purchasing 7 tires and a wheel this week. Finally found a place to take the LD two weeks ago. There is still good tread on existing tires but they are 5 years old now. I sold my 60 chevy impala (4 door) to allow for several needed purchases for the LD.

I tried to get a wheel and tire ordered for the spare the first month I had the LD, brought the LD in to T&W which was the only place I could find that was willing to deal with the Class C and it was never ordered. Tried a different tire store 2 months later and they would order but not install the tires and they never ordered the wheel for the spare. Many phone calls and attempts made to find a place to take the LD.

Will be storing the spare on the passenger side storage compartment  towards the rear of the unit. Figured that since the the fresh water, grey and dark tanks are on the drivers side of the unit, tools, spare and other heavy items should be stored on the passenger side. I fill my fresh water tank at home with the filter and I know that adds weight to the unit.

Will be looking at putting my emergency kit together this spring, portable compressor is on the list. Kimberley

2000 Mid Bath

Reply #16
Hi Kimberly,
Just an observation that where you are intending to put the spare is where Lazy Daze puts it in the mid bath now.  Best of luck!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #17
Would it be best to have  Aluminum spare since  4 of the six tires (outer dually and front) are aluminum and the inner dually is steel?
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #18
Referring to Jodi H's maintenance list from 2 months ago, these are the items I am starting with:
1st maintenance list
Fluids -
-Oil change
-check for leaks and fluid levels: brake fluid, transmission fluid, rear differential fluid, engine coolant / radiator fluid, transmission mounted parking brake fluid.
-The radiator and brake fluid can be tested with test strips.

Brakes-
Inspect all brake components - replace as needed
Lube caliper side pins

Suspension / steering-
Re-pack and lube the wheel bearings.
Inspect the U-joints and carrier bearing
Check and/or lube/ replace the front end components, particularly the ball joints and tie rods
Check the shocks and shock bushings - The driver's side top shock bushing commonly loosens

Tires -
7: LT225/75R/16 Load E, highway all season, Mud + Snow pattern
Spare tire wheel
Balance
"antiseize compound" Between original inner steel and outer Aluminum dually

2000 Mid Bath

Reply #19
Spare - definitely steel wheel, since that will replace any position. Check if you may need other lugnuts to accommodate the spare when mounted. If the front shocks are original, they will probably be tight. If Bilsteins, definitely check carefully.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #20
Hi Kimberley,
Thanks for explaining why you don't currently have a spare tire and wheel. One suggestion for you regarding storing the spare tire. Put the tire on a large slippery trash bag when it goes in the storage compartment. It will make sliding it much easier either for yourself or your road service person. I also have some rope tied to the holes so I can have a looped handle to pull the tire with. I actually do move it a couple times per year to check the tire pressure.

Since you mentioned a compressor, I will share a brief review of what I currently use; the DeWALT 20 volt inflator. It uses the same 20 volt lithium ion battery that DeWALT uses for their power tools. This light weight gem works GREAT as a tire inflator. It can handle the job of getting our LD's tires up to pressure on battery power. I highly recommend it. It is not a compressor so it can't run air tools, but at under $100 ( without a battery) it works great. Easy to store too.

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #21
Two things to add to your list.
Inspect the oil level in the transmission-mounted parking brake, most mechanics do not know of its existence on the E450.
I suggest printing the photos and descriptions, from the link below, and handing them to the mechanic to show where to look and what to do, with what tools. The parking brake has a small oil reservoir and if it runs out, repairs can run from $1000 up to $7000, if the failed brake seizes and tears up the rear of the transmission, requiring it to be replaced...it has happened to members here.
Parking brake oil fill | Flickr

Remove every wheel and use anti-seize, or similar, to coat the contact areas between the aluminum and steel wheels, and the contact area between the aluminum wheels and the front hub, to prevent corrosion.
This is even more important if the LD is ever driven on salty roads to prevent the wheels from corroding together.
Aluminum wheels look nice but they must have this extra maintenance.

Larry
Larry

Reply #22
Thanks Larry and Steve,
I will update and planned on printing out my list when I drop LD off this afternoon, I will print off Larry's photo's.

What a relief to finally have a mechanic. The closest Ford truck service center is 230 miles away.

If my experience is a good one, I will add it too the list of recommended repair shop's for those passing thru Kansas.
 I did see that their is a rv park with hook-ups within a block for those having to wait for parts or repairs.

I will report back next week, Kimberley
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #23
I like the idea of relocating the spare to under the chassis.  Anyone done this on the MB?

There isn't enough room for a spare tire and the support rack and crane needed to lift and store it. It would hang very low and would be hard to remove or replace, assuming it could be done at all.
I'm not sure if the floor is strong enough to hold it, that area of the coach wasn't designed to carry the spare tire's weight, suspended under the floor.
It belongs in one of the rear compartments, See Steve K's response about using the space.

Larry
Larry

Reply #24
Hi Kimberly;  On that check list, that should be 'slide' pin. The function is to let the pads move side to side as the pads wear. The term 'side' may confuse the issue.   As far as tires, a few of us here have put on new tires recently and the Michelin Agilis  CrossClimate tires have been good for me.  https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Agilis+CrossClimate&partnum=275R6ACCV2
    As Steve said, definitely the steel wheel.  A friend's 2001 MB, that I bought used for them in 2017; the tire fits in the front of the passenger side rear storage compartment. I recomment a trash bag 'wrap' on it to contain the 'new tire smell'.  Long term contact of other items in the storage compartment, (the front windshield cover) had transfered black marks to the white cover. I could read the tire size on the cover, and couldn't clean it off.
    I put vertical wood cleats (two 3/4 x 3/4"pieces) at the back wall of the compartment (toward the driver side) and at the front (compartment door) to hold a wood 1x4" side to side. That kept the tire in the forward end. It was to prevent the tire from sliding backward  and to keep small items from sliding around under the tire. The 1x4 just lifted out to remove the tire. In addition I put an extension hose on the tire, and attached it to the side behind the door, so I could check tire pressure while leaving the tire in place. The hose, like a tire valve extension, had a nut to remove it, to get it out of the way, for removing the tire.
    Just as I was to post this I saw that Steve K. also puts a trash bag around his tire.  A good idea about a rope through the holes as a handle. Very tough to move it around. About 40 pounds? You can see the bag at the bottom of the picture.  RonB