Skip to main content
Topic: Wandering on highway (Read 193 times) previous topic - next topic
Wandering on highway
Picked up a 26.5 side bath with 15,000 miles (2004)... currently has 26,000.  It has a tendency to wander on Freeways and I've tried to have it aligned at two different shops.  Both said impossible without different front end work... ball joints, sway control, steering box, etc.  Nothing feels lose to me... it wasn't moved for 7 years but I have a hard time believing that could effect anything but the shock absorbers... any advice will be appreciated!
2004 Mid Bath

Re: Wandering on highway
Reply #1
Wandering usually is the result of loose steering parts, including the steering box, and/or improper alignment.
Shocks shouldn't be the cause.
The E450 like its caster set in the 6+ degree range. I have to point out that 15,000 miles are exceptionally low for such an old rig, especially one that has a wandering problem.

Are you sure it isn't 115,000 miles?
Have you owned the rig since new?  If not, suspect the odometer has been tampered with or the rig has been badly abused.
If it sat seven years, have the tires been replaced? They have definitely timed out.
At 15,000 miles, with the exception of being out of alignment, it should drive like new, the steering is very robust.

When You took it in for an alignment, what parts did the shops say were bad?
A properly trained tech will check the condition of all the steering related parts BEFORE starting the alignment. If they didn't, find a better alignment shop. The shop's paperwork should show what parts are worn and need replacement.
We need more information.

Are you new to the E450? The twin-I-beam suspension and steering have a different feel than today's passenger car, it doesn't have the precise feeling of a rack and pinion steering. It usually takes a new driver a few hundred or thousand miles before it feels comfortable.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Wandering on highway
Reply #2
[moved from the Yahoo Archive board.  That is an archive of the posts from a previous version of the board.  Please do not start new topics in it]