Skip to main content
Topic: Water Line Drain (Read 287 times) previous topic - next topic
Water Line Drain
‘96 RB
Just about have the old girl ready for the road, after 12 years in storage, now wanting to drain the water system due to up coming weather. I've drained the tank, but find no system drains, is this the way it is?
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Re: Water Line Drain
Reply #1
When you refer to a “system drain” , are you referring to a specific drain for the fresh water tank?

Our 2015 RB fresh water tank release valve is just inside the forward bay door nearest the drivers door. With the bay door opened, look to the right inside the bay.

On the ‘15 there is a valve release mounted on a pvc pipe just to the right of the bay door opening. If you look underneath the rig just to the right of the bay door, you should see a pvc drain pipe that is connected to the fresh water drain.

Turning the valve will release any water in the fresh water tank. Hope this helps.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
If you drained the tank, I assume you found the tank dump valve to which Kent was pointing you.  As to the various water lines in the rig, there is no drain valve per se.  You can get rid of a lot of the water using the drain valve on the water heater.  For the rest, you need to open the various faucets, one at a time,  blowing pressurized air into the system using the city water connection, thus blowing out the lines.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #4
The first, and last time I winterized my motorhome was 78-79 winter. When summer came the thing looked like the fountain of youth. Water remaining in the system had collected in the lowest, and hardest to reach area in the coach. In my later years I learned how difficult it is to "dry" a system, even using dry N2. Many of the motorhomes I’ve owned since have had low point drains on both the cold and hot water system, my question was did this old LD 26RB have low point system drains. I have my answer, thanks.
Past
Present

Reply #5
Many of the motorhomes I’ve owned since have had low point drains on both the cold and hot water system, my question was did this old LD 26RB have low point system drains. I have my answer, thanks.
Note that if you blow out the plumbing lines, anywhere the line is filled with water should evacuate. There can be some low areas where a small amount of water can collect, but as long as it does not fill the diameter of the pipe, freezing shold not cause any damage.
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
If the blow out method were not effective, at least in our LD’s, I don’t think the Mothership would have mentioned it in the owner’s manual. Not only is it mentioned, it is recommended over the antifreeze method.  As Steve mentioned, the system doesn’t need to be totally dry to be effective.

I’ve used it once with success and will be dewinterizing again before the Morro Bay meetup next month. I’ll let everyone know if there were any water-related issues then.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
The LD lines run pretty true, so they would probably blow out pretty effectively, but my earlier, and only experience wine rising a motorhome was in ‘78 on a old Winnebago. It would still be nice to have system low point drains, water heater bypass, and suction line for the pink stuff. My ‘06 MB froze under the floor where the line transitions from side to side.
Past
Present