Poll

Do you pull a toad with your Lazy Daze?

• Yes, always
    25 (44.6%)
  • Sometimes
    8 (14.3%)
  • Never
    17 (30.4%)
  • Yes, but with a SOB (Some Other Brand)
    0 (0%)
  • Other (explain)
    6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: April 05, 2021, 12:31:04 pm

Topic: To Tow, or not to Tow-Poll (Read 491 times) previous topic - next topic
To Tow, or not to Tow-Poll
As we drive around, I've noticed that most class C's do not tow a toad. I'm thinking Lazy Dazers may be an exception though so started this poll.  Scroll up to complete the survey.  Thanks!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: To Tow, or not to Tow-Poll
Reply #1
Suspect who uses a toad is directly related to the length of the rig.

I plan on not pulling a toad, because of my previous experience with 24’ class C rigs
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #2
Other vote explained.
We purchased a towed and got it set up. We did a trial run with it and then we were shut down by Covid.  We chose to add the towed after having a hard time getting a rental car on short notice in resort area.
Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.

Reply #3
We got our LD (used) 9 years ago on the Jan 31.   It was not set up to tow until sometime in 2017.  We like having the choice.  Often times I will go off alone and do not tow.  A lot depends on how I plan to be camping and what I plan on doing while camping.   For example, both my wife and I have our favorite hobbies.  Sometime she will not go with me because she wants to do something with friends or I will want to get away to do photography.   Other times I want to get to the campground before or depart after the herd of cars rushes into or out of the Washington DC Metro area.   She will either come later in the Subie or leave earlier, so for half the round trip I am not towing.

We have a 26.6 foot MidBath.  It is small enough that I can get around rather well with out a car on the back.  If  it's a solo trip of some length or I intend to do a lot of short trips I will tow.  
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Other vote explained.  We have had our LD for 15 months. We have not set up a TOAD yet. We may someday and it would only be used once in a while.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #5
Other.
I decided to carry a small dual sport motorcycle on the back instead of having a toad.
I like that it does most of what a toad would do for much less cost and space.
It also helps keep me young as I still enjoy throwing a leg over and going for a ride.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #6
To tow or not to tow is dependent on your life style and your RV'ing choices.  It doesn't matter what others do, and a decision about towing should not be based on what is popular.  Determine your needs, then go with that.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #7
I haven't set up for towing yet. Before I had a chance to really put some miles on the LD and drive it in different conditions, I thought it would be essential to have a toad. After getting some experience, I have found the 27' rig relatively easy to get around in. Like the earlier posts, I really want to have the choice eventually, but now I am not stressing over it and waiting for the right vehicle to come along for towing. Hopefully a Wrangler  :) , or any of the many different types discussed in this forum.
Randy

2019 MB

Reply #8
We towed our Jeep Liberty from day one since we got our 2004 MB (used) in 2011. In fact, We bought our Jeep Liberty in advance specifically for flat towing behind a class C. We planned to use the combo to tour the country after retirement. We have been very happy with our decision.
2004 Mid Bath,
2007 Jeep Liberty Towed

Reply #9
Hi, we have a 27 foot MB and do not tow. when we need to, we use Enterprize rental car. They will come to your camp site and pick you up, at least in some places. We have used them several times and this has worked well. That said, we know that there are experiences we have missed by not having a car, but that's our trade-off. We have also gotten more adventurous in taking the rig into small towns etc since we don't have a car. Has worked for us so far.
2015 MB

Reply #10
Picked up my 2019 RB in June of 2020 and just scheduled the dinghy / toad install on a 2021 GMC Canyon along with hitch upgrades.  I have towed a small single axle trailer behind the LD and other RV's and can barely tell its behind me, but moving up to a 4400 lb four wheeled vehicle does have me a little nervous.  My wife and I bought the LD and decided on the Class C so we could tow a dinghy car.  Our plan is to go cross country with the setup and use the GMC as my vehicle when we're at home.  Agree it's a personal preference and dependent on the type of camping one wants to do.  A boys trip into dry camping areas to fish and hunt is much different than a visit to RV parks in metro areas in terms of local transportation options so we chose a toad which we felt was useful in both situations.  We are putting a canopy on the truck to stow some of our gear (from the trailer) in the bed of the truck and adding a bike rack to the canopy.  Will be a learning experience but look forward to the flexibility offered in the setup.   
2019 27 FT Rear Bath, Grey. 2021 GMC Canyon dinghy.

Reply #11
We no longer travel in an LD, but we towed a Jeep Wrangler most of the time while we traveled in our 2002 MB.  Even before we got our LD we had been exploring 4x4 roads/trails in the west using a couple of different Jeeps.  After getting our LD, we fell in with others in the Southern California Caravan Club that towed off-road capable vehicles.  Some of the Caravan destinations were well suited to 4x4 exploration (like Anza Borrego), and informal groups of people that met in the Caravan Club made trips around the west that were oriented towards back road exploration.  We got into the habit of setting up the motorhome as a base camp and using the tow to explore the area, get groceries or check out restaurants. We continue to do that with our current setup.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #12
We have never towed, but for ten years carried a 250 Vespa on a custom rack. Worked great for us, with a few limitations for weather and bison, and we had grand adventures. Had to sell it when a back injury meant Loni no longer could ride on it.  At this point, we’re doing without  a toad, as I can’t justify buying a vehicle and tow setup at “this age.” 😉. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #13
We tow a Ford Fiesta.  It weighs 2400lbs and has an automatic transmission.  It can be towed 4 down by removing the battery cable from the negative post. I use a cable switch.  It works well for us.  The car allows us to explore areas we would otherwise miss in our 31 ft.LD. 
2018 31' TB

Reply #14
Unless you "plan really well," I feel it's an advantage to tow a car - especially if you're going to be in the same spot for awhile.  I don't want to break camp to make a trip to the grocery or if I decide to go out for a meal.  I have a 26.5 mid-bath and tow my Honda CR-V. 
Previously, when I was a member of a singles RV group I hated to depend on other people for a ride if they were going to a museum, out to eat, etc...  It seems like a minor inconvenience, but I didn't like being on someone else's schedule for arriving and departure.  Plus, we would also pay the driver - which was totally fair and fine. 
I think if you're going to a state park for the weekend it's pretty obvious that you probably don't need a tow vehicle, but especially when your traveling for weeks at a time I've found it to be necessary (at least for me). 
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #15
We are planning to use our RadRover fat tire ebikes instead of a toad. We bought a Hollywood rack and now just need our LD to be finished so we can hit the road!
Shawn and Randy Willmott

Reply #16
Thanks for all the input so far!  For us, we do intend to tow sometime later this year. We purchased a 2015 manual transmission Forester with that intent last April, before we even had something to pull it with. In the meantime, we’re doing short trips over to the coast (a little over 3 hours from us)  which allow us to drive the Outback separately. I’m starting to get more comfortable driving a 27 ft. motorhome and hope to take the next step and start towing so we can take longer trips and still have a vehicle.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #17
We have a Jeep Liberty to tow, but are not set up yet.  I will be asking in the future for recommendations for a good place to get the set-up done and beef up the hitch.  :D
2003 RB “Lulu Boo Berry” The Blue Ghost
2008 Jeep Liberty “Mr. Toad”

Reply #18
“We have a Jeep Liberty to tow, but are not set up yet.  I will be asking in the future for recommendations for a good place to get the set-up done and beef up the hitch.”

You may wish to read this article in the Lazy Daze Companion.  It was helpful to me when I planned to set-up my towed vehicle. 

The Lazy Daze Companion: Towing

Further, you may not need to beef up your hitch beyond switching your grade 5 for grade 8 fasteners given your 2008 Jeep Liberty weighs about 4090 Lbs and your Lazy Daze hitch is rated for 4000 Lbs.

Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #19
Ordered the 13 31 IB Nov 1, 2013.  Swapped 2011 Rav 4 for 2011 Honda CRV Dec 2013.  Set up CRV for towing Jan 2014. Towed CRV with pickup for practice Jan- Feb 2014.  Took delivery Apr 28 2014 (87th day of Feb since Todd said it would be ready in Feb).   500 mile trip home,  another 500 miles not towing.    49K on the rig,   at the most 1,000 miles NOT towing, so I guess I'm in the 'always' category.

A 31' isn't something you casually take to the store or try short-time parking at a venue.   1986 - 2013 Towed the house behind us in a succession of travel trailers.   I don't see the towd as an extra burden, it's part and parcel with the whole package.   An e-bike would augment, not replace the towd.
YMMV as do preferences
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE