Skip to main content
Topic: Trojan T105, T125 or T145 (Read 346 times) previous topic - next topic
Trojan T105, T125 or T145
Hello all,

I need new batteries. I understand T145 is 5/8" taller than the T105 or T125. The compartment appears to have easily enough room for the T145 (LD 26.5 MB). The costs are as follows, T105 is $139.00, the T125 is $159.00 and the T145 is $179.00. We do some winter camping and have need of the heater so I am thinking the bigger batteries would be worth it. The unit has 2 factory installed 85W solar panels but in the winter time I wonder how much we get from these. I am thinking this year I may add some more solar but need to find some time to study that a bit more. The price included delivery and install. Before I pulled the trigger had to run it by you all. I am  always surprised how this forum helps us make a more informed decision.

Thanks!
2002 MB

Re: Trojan T105, T125 or T145
Reply #1
Matt, your post caught my immediate attention.

Today my LD seemed to have fried one of my non sealed lead acid batteries. 

I was thinking of upgrading to the AGM batteries, but after reading endless (great) post about each owner going different routes, I believe that sticking with the tried and true Trojan T105's could be right for us. 

The type of camping we do, and will probably do in the future would be a 1/2 dozen days boondocking, then moving on to power/water etc.  A small mix of each.

The batteries I currently have are "cheap" and underrated for the RV, but were installed prior to our purchase.  I did install the Pro-Fill Battering System on the wonderful advise of our experienced Moderators.  And the system works perfectly.

So for us, why spend upwards of 2.5 times more for the AGM, if our camping protocol will work well with the Lead Acid units.

I would appreciate it if you continue to Post the progress you are making on the T105's, and any issues with the install.

By the way - the price you have for the batteries, including installation seems very reasonable to me, especially if the work is first class.  Hopefully.

Cheers!

Tony R. (aka codefour)
Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Reply #2
I am thinking this year I may add some more solar but need to find some time to study that a bit more. The price included delivery and install.

Best bet is stay with the T-105's for easy fit, and upgrade your controller to the Blue Sky that can handle more panels efficiently and be kinder to your batteries. Here are some nice panels, chose according to how they fit your available real estate:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WindyNation-100-Watt-12-Volt-Slim-Polycrystalline-Solar-Panel-for-RV-Boat-Camping-Off-Grid-SOL-HD-100LP-01-HD/312874729

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-100-Watt-Polycrystalline-Solar-Panel-for-RV-s-Boats-and-12-Volt-Systems-GS-Star-100W/204211365

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
First, those are great prices.

When looking at lead acid batteries, you want to look at the 20 amp hour spec.  For the T105, it is 225 AH.  For the T145, it is 260 AH.  Keep in mind that with lead acid batteries, you would be very lucky to get to 50% of capacity without damaging the batteries.  So, to me, the T145 offers a bit of capacity head room for a battery that will easily fit your rig's battery compartment.

My LD (2007 IB) came from the MS with T105's.  When it came time to replace them and I learned these specs, I made the switch to T145's.  They fit and they offer a bit of increased capacity.  I have four 160-watt solar panels installed by AM Solar along with a Blue Sky controller.  It all works very well and in good sunshine, I can recover the previous day's AH consumption by noon, in acceptance by 2:00 or 3:00, and floating until sundown.

The MS has never been good at solar panel installation.  That is a plain fact once you get real about solar panels after having experienced the two-panel MS installation.  If you install panels, be sure to do it so you can tilt them into the sun during the winter months.  I camp in Quartzsite every January and the difference between the panels tilted vs lying flat is substantial.  (Oh, yes - be sure to minimize or eliminate shadows on the panels when you place them if you do the work yourself.)

Dan

Dan
2007 IB-30

Reply #4
Steve, thanks for posting the links for Home Depot. I would have never thought to look there for panels. The prices these days have really come down!  Thinking of adding at least one more panel at some point in the future but need to get some boondocking under our belts to determine our needs first.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
I need new batteries. I understand T145 is 5/8" taller than the T105 or T125. The compartment appears to have easily enough room for the T145 (LD 26.5 MB). The costs are as follows, T105 is $139.00, the T125 is $159.00 and the T145 is $179.00. We do some winter camping and have need of the heater so I am thinking the bigger batteries would be worth it. The unit has 2 factory installed 85W solar panels but in the winter time I wonder how much we get from these. I am thinking this year I may add some more solar but need to find some time to study that a bit more. The price included delivery and install. Before I pulled the trigger had to run it by you all. I am  always surprised how this forum helps us make a more informed decision.

Matt, I suggest you re-read the entire thread from the post you created earlier this month.

Battery replacment

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #6
Here are some nice panels, chose according to how they fit your available real estate:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WindyNation-100-Watt-12-Volt-Slim-Polycrystalline-Solar-Panel-for-RV-Boat-Camping-Off-Grid-SOL-HD-100LP-01-HD/312874729
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-100-Watt-Polycrystalline-Solar-Panel-for-RV-s-Boats-and-12-Volt-Systems-GS-Star-100W/204211365

Solar keeps getting cheaper, the same Grape panel was $100 less than a year ago. 15 years ago, panels cost around $3 a watt, now it's down to $.73 a watt

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Hello all,

I need new batteries. I understand T145 is 5/8" taller than the T105 or T125. The compartment appears to have easily enough room for the T145 (LD 26.5 MB). The costs are as follows, T105 is $139.00, the T125 is $159.00 and the T145 is $179.00. We do some winter camping and have need of the heater so I am thinking the bigger batteries would be worth it. The unit has 2 factory installed 85W solar panels but in the winter time I wonder how much we get from these

In some rigs, installing T145s requires removing the sliding battery tray, to provide enough room to access the cables. A remote watering system needs to be used in this application. Anyone with lead-acid batteries should use one to ease the watering task.

A T-125 is the same physical size as a T105, the extra electrolyte that sits above the plates is smaller than the T125 and requires more frequent watering than a T105 does.  Dropping the electrolyte level below the plates damages the battery.

Two 85-watt panels output is OK for many in the summer but with the winter's low sun, the output is much reduced. Combined with the winter's short days, charging is a third of the summer rate.  Winter boondocking requires more panels to make up the difference.
I have never met anyone who complained they had too many solar panels.

Home Depot is a good place to buy panels, great prices and they will be delivered to your home or available for local pickup. The last few panels I have bought have come from HD.
Be aware the installation cost will be as much or greater than the cost of the panels. With more panels, the lead-in cable, from the roof to the solar controller will need to be upsized to utilize as much of the generated power as possible.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Hi Larry,

So what do you think I should get the T105, 125 or 145.  It would seem the cost for the batts is not an issue if it provides a real improvement. If I upgrade my panels I think I will just get rid of the existing panels that have a 48"x48" roof foot print  and replace with 2 new panels that have the same footprint but nearly 2x the wattage. I like minimizing the roof footprint. AM Solar in Oregon (Cody Enright)  reviewed my wiring and said the existing 10 gage could handle the 2 - ZS170 they wanted to sell me. I did not investigate the HD panels but I guess I should.

Thank you to all. Great advice!

Matt
2002 MB