Skip to main content
Topic: Inspections  (Read 369 times) previous topic - next topic
Inspections
What is the average cost of complete mechanical and all systems and appliances inspections?

Re: Inspections
Reply #1
I've gotten a safety inspection which includes checking all gas lines, electrical and vehicle safety stuff like breaks, tires, lights..... on top of that we asked for water leak/damage check, all in all it came out to about $400
1995 23.5 Rear Lounge

Reply #2
I just got a quote of $500 for a complete inspection with fluid evaluation.
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #3
The biggest problem is finding a qualified inspector in your area or where the RV to be inspected is located.
Keep in mind that even the best inspection can fail to point out all the issues an RV may have, so much is hidden or only is apparent with use. This is especially true of mechcanical faults.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
True about inspection. However I feel using NRVIA certified inspector with good references is better than none. Especially since I am buying out of state. It is worth it to me to have a reasonably good idea of what I am buying.

2002 TK 24ft

Reply #5
Thank you !

Reply #6
There are many "Inspection" topics of interest in the "search" feature on this site as listed below:

Curious about RV inspections in different states

Perhaps the biggest take a way for me after having a RV Inspection last August was this:

1. Have a list of the items that you do want checked, and inspected. Your checklist or theirs - but have a concrete guide.

2. Ask the important questions before you finalize your deal with your inspector:  Will you physically check condition of Oil, fluids, belts, etc.?

3. Ask approximately how much time the Inspector will actually spend doing a hands on inspection.

4. If you cannot attend the Inspection insure that you have agreed on a communication set that will serve you.  In my instance the Inspector would "Face Time" me and actually show me a specific visual that may be of some concern.

5. I was able to be present at the August Inspection and was severely disappointed in the person, and the Inspection, although the Inspector did point out two items that I would have missed completely.  So maybe it was a push.

6. The fee for that inspection in southern California was $350.00.  His inspection was about 2 hours or so.

7. Moderators: I didn't see that topic specifically listed in "The Companion".  Larry W, Joan and others have reported numerous times the do's and don'ts on this topic.  Might be grand to have it as a topic listed in the Companion.

Respectfully,

Tony R. (aka codefour)

Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family

Reply #7
I hear you all. Please keep in mind that not all inspectors a re e good or bad which is why due diligence is important. I equate it a house inspection, not all issues may be noted. Fir example, the first summer in my new to me condo the air conditioner work keeping the house nice and cool. Problem was it leaked and I did not notice it until I hear dripping in my bedroom closet. But he did inform me the water heater was past it's time. Rather than wait for it to cause a flood in the house, I replaced the first week I was in the house.

In addition I live Massachusetts and the LD is just outside if Sarasota. Having the inspection tin done prior to going there, at considerable expense, I chose to have in inspector, who is experienced, check it for me. It serves the following purpose:
1. He can verify the rig exists - have communicated with a couple of scammers
2. He can verify it is as advertised along with the maintenance records
3. He can let me know if there is something I need to address Asap as well as issues that may be able to wait until I return home with it.

In the long run I will have a much better sense of what I need to budget for in the near future above and beyond the things I want to uograde.

Just my 3cents. I did as the inspector fir a copy of his checklist. I will share it as soon as I get it.

To further clarify, the higher price reflects the evaluation of the fluids.
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #8
****if purchasing older coach...10yrs or older****
Before spending money on a mechanical inspection:
Ask for lots of pictures $$$$ this will save time and will tell alot a out how the coach has been cared for.....
Pitures of Roof and rail caps running along edges of roof, top, front overhange and rear, at least 10 to 15 from 4 feet away ( so you can pull them up close. Looking for old sealant which has never been recoated, evidence of resealing caps, dry brittle roof componets covers, damage to aluminum skin or patches.
Pictures of around windows looking for evidence of professional level resealing or sloppy job....meaning it was done as preventive maint or after finding leak....you will want to look for evidence of water intrusion in cabinets top and bottom. Soft spongy floor near door and bath area.
Next get pictures of undercarriage :
Frame hopefully is not covered with heavy rust/corrosion. If so run!!!
Look for damage from blow outs, damage to tanks, pipes, broken hangers, rote wood near propane tank and generator, rear bumper upper floor.
Get pictures of front engine area, radiator, front suspension,  upper and lower control arms, oil pan, trans pan, drive shaft, u joints, center support , exhaust system, rear diff cover, brake lines, shocks, gas line to generator....
This will tell alot. Does it have oil leaks , coolant leaks, diff leaks, old collapsing brake lines. If everything looks original then you will be the one doing catch up with overdue maint, preventive maint, replacement of major components near or at their end of life.
All hoses , engine, heater, coolant reservoir, caps, etc should be replaced at 10 year or 100k miles....the most common thing that ruins and engine is over heating from a blown 20.00 hose.
If the spark plugs have not been replaced ...do your research on ford engines and issue with them. If they have been in the heads for over 10 year even longer amount of time. When removing (and should be done be ford or someone with tons of experience removing ford spark plugs) they can break off in the head. Lots of info on this forum and utube.
Brakes are another issue....Brake fluid must be flushed every 2 year and more often if towing. Condensation in fluids of all kinds is a killer of components especially true of brake fluid. It causes damage to calipers and they start to stick/grab/bind. This is common with ford e350 and e450 units and it is expensive. Not to mention the issue with rebuilt calipers on the market...best to Buy Fords expensive parts at least they have a 3 year warranty. (Keep your receipts!! On everything in a book).
Show all these pictures to a mechanic or some one knowledgeable to get advice. This will save a long drive or flight to look at a pig in a poke as my father always said. I looked at a picture of a 2002 with 81k and the only thing I could see new was 2 front shocks...and alot of rust and future thousands of dollars 10k or more.
This will help you decide if you can a ford an older model. If you don't have the knowledge and time don't do it. It will give you a bad taste for.rving.
2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe
2016 Twin King 24ft
2017 Casita Independence Dlx
2004 Midbath 26.5

Reply #9
This inspection checklist is as comprehensive as I've seen (and the link provided about a dozen times, but it seems appropriate to post it again).

RV Inspection Checklist

NB: RVs are complex, multi-component units that offer a lot of opportunity for an inexperienced or un-knowledgeable person to minimize or overlook potential trouble spots. A thorough, comprehensive inspection of the engine, all "drive" systems, appliances, coach/body, LPG, electrical, plumbing systems, tires, and a few dozen other items takes a good deal of time and a lot of savvy not only about what to look for, but also to assess the significance and seriousness of those issues found, i.e., how much time, money, and hassle will repair or replacement require.

I understand that many may have budget constraints and are looking for older LDs; one may find a great bargain in a well-maintained older unit, but taking one's time, learning as much as possible about what to look for in a used rig, and accepting that RV ownership, which can be very rewarding, is not inexpensive. The less diligence used, the less grasp of rig quality assessment basics understood, and the more haste involved in a buy, the less satisfactory and very likely, a lot more expensive, the outcome.

YMMV, as always.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Thank you all.

I am hoping and praying this will work out well.  The LD has been in the same family since it was built; passed down from parents to their child and regularly used. Having shared that, it will be a learning curve for me no doubt.

Many thanks again! this forum is amazing!!!!
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #11
Thank you all.

I am hoping and praying this will work out well.  The LD has been in the same family since it was built; passed down from parents to their child and regularly used. Having shared that, it will be a learning curve for me no doubt.

Many thanks again! this forum is amazing!!!!
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #12
Good luck....but it is always a learning experience, plus money and work, work and more work.
2017 Casita Spirit Deluxe
2016 Twin King 24ft
2017 Casita Independence Dlx
2004 Midbath 26.5

Reply #13
Attached us the inspection details.

Anything worth doing will be work. I'm not in a rush to buy and can always walk away. I am a tent camper with recent experiences renting class c motorhomes and caught the bug hard.
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #14
Hopefulky my 2nd home.
2002 TK 24ft

Reply #15
Thank you all.

Try not to look at any RV with preconceptions, such as ‘it’s a family coach, passed down ‘. A good friend inherited his parent’s 20 year-old T/K LD. His father was always doing something to it and he assumed it was well cared for. Turned out the entire rear end was rotted, LD wasn’t interested in repairing, it as it would have cost much more than the value of the rig, if it was in good shape.
It went to a local charity’s Donate Your Car fund raiser instead. Good riddance,
To the casual eye, the LD still looked OK, but with an ice pick, a lot of bad news was discovered. The problem was the windows, end caps and roof had never properly been resealed. His father had tried keeping it sealed but was clueless in what he was doing,
And then there were all sorts of problems with the old appliances and the chassis mechanicals.
This was back in the days before the forum when there was no place to learn the ins and out of maintaining old LDs.

I’m bringing this up because we have seen dozens of old rigs here in the forum with new owners who are stunned when they start seeing how much it is going to cost to bring their well used LDs into dependable condition, many rigs been given away or sold on Craig’s List after the discoverly of what poor shape they are in. Inspectors can miss important clues when looking at RVs they are not familiar with. LDs are built differently than most RVs and being rare rigs, many inspector have never seen one, much less know the particular problem areas to examine more closely.

It all boils down to buying an old RV is always a crap shoot, even beautiful looking used LDs can have terrible, hidden warts.
As mention many times before, RVing not a cheap lifestyle, it can cost much more than one would ever suspect.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #16
Thank you.
2002 TK 24ft