Skip to main content
Topic: Past Rodent Infestation Cleaning (Read 264 times) previous topic - next topic
Past Rodent Infestation Cleaning
I discovered rodent droppings behind the kitchen wall (where the CO detector is located) and they run all the way to the space between the shower wall and wall outside bathroom.  I'm confident the rodent is no longer living in the wall and I hope the previous owner found it and removed it but I can't confirm.  Are there any good tools/tips for cleaning the droppings without having to tear out parts of the wall?

I discovered the droppings using my endoscope where I entered from the water pump compartment as well as from behind a power outlet installed at the floor outside the bathroom right next to the accordion door.

Re: Past Rodent Infestation Cleaning
Reply #1

That is a tough one. 

This might work - a small handheld vacuum with a hose. 

Amazon.com: Portable Car Vacuum Cleaner: High Power Corded Handheld Vacuum...

Note that is just an example -
Amazon has several with a small hose.

There are even smaller keyboard vacuums but only a hard tube not a flexible hose.

Jane

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #2
I’m no expert in cleaning up rodent droppings but caution is advised by experts to take care not to disturb rodent waste.

Yosemite Valley has experienced mice carrying the hantavirus which can be deadly if it comes in contact with the human respiratory system.

Vacuuming urine and droppings of infected rodents is not advisable. Vacuums can stir up the possible virus and make it airborne. It’s a good practice to play it safe when dealing with any rodent infestation. It is best to disinfect said areas before disturbing rodent droppings. Wear suitable facial coverings and wear gloves. The CDC has guidelines for such cleanup.

Good luck and take proper precautions

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
Nor am I an expert on cleaning up rodent waste but these guys are

Contra Costa Mosquito & Vector Control

The most important thing to remember is to never sweep or vacuum rodent evidence
including feces, urine and nesting material. When these substances are swept or vacuumed they can break up, forcing virus particles into the air where they can easily be inhaled, infecting the person doing the cleaning. Hantavirus and Arenavirus are transmitted in this manner.

Dave

2017 TK

Reply #4
That is a tough one. 

This might work - a small handheld vacuum with a hose. 

Amazon.com: Portable Car Vacuum Cleaner: High Power Corded Handheld Vacuum...

Note that is just an example -
Amazon has several with a small hose.

There are even smaller keyboard vacuums but only a hard tube not a flexible hose.

Jane

Thanks.  Might give that a try.  Where's the Roomba matchbox sized vacuum already?!
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #5
I’m no expert in cleaning up rodent droppings but caution is advised by experts to take care not to disturb rodent waste.

Yosemite Valley has experienced mice carrying the hantavirus which can be deadly if it comes in contact with the human respiratory system.

Vacuuming urine and droppings of infected rodents is not advisable. Vacuums can stir up the possible virus and make it airborne. It’s a good practice to play it safe when dealing with any rodent infestation. It is best to disinfect said areas before disturbing rodent droppings. Wear suitable facial coverings and wear gloves. The CDC has guidelines for such cleanup.

Good luck and take proper precautions

Kent

Good advice.  Thank you.