Skip to main content
Topic: How do you evaluate the price of a used LD? (Read 447 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Non-member Classified...
How do you evaluate the price of a used LD?
How to tell what the a good price is? To me, it seems like most do not follow what NADA suggests.

Re: How do you evaluate the price of a used LD?
Reply #1
NADA is useless for most RV's.  It's the National Automobile Dealers' Association - collects data on sales by registered vehicle dealers.

Most RVs are in such low volume and especially with small brands like LD, there are little to no dealer sales reported.  Certainly not a statistically significant number.  So NADA uses generic, fabricated numbers.

Reply #3
You probably know that the RV market went crazy this year.  We have seen rigs sell for well over what a similar rig sold for 2 years ago.  

The same has been true for vacation homes, boats, cars, bikes, and even kayaks.  Anything people can do to recreate during a pandemic.   I don't know what 'good price' means, but you have to be aware that the rig will probably sell for substantially less once things are 'normal' again.

I think you have to look at what else you can buy for the same money in the market today.  Take the money you're considering spending and see what it will buy you for a Class A or a trailer, or a non-LazyDaze class C.  There are no hard and fast guidelines anymore (except that NADA has never been accurate).

I'm not implying that anyone who buys (or bought) this year is making a mistake.  You only get one chance at 2020/2021, even if it's unusual.   If you spend that time waiting for better pricing, the time is never coming back. 

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #4
I'm not implying that anyone who buys (or bought) this year is making a mistake.  You only get one chance at 2020/2021, even if it's unusual.  If you spend that time waiting for better pricing, the time is never coming back. 

It seems strange that in a time of rapid inflation in the RV market, most of the RVs in California are paked at home, the result of the widespread closures of campgrounds and the lock-down.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
"It seems strange that in a time of rapid inflation in the RV market, most of the RVs in California are paked at home"

Stranger still for Lazy Dazers who are, arguably, the best suited for highly distanced boondocking.  The desert is calling me...
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #6

The desert is calling me...

I hear voices too saying the same. Soon, I may have no choice but to obey the voices.

Larry
Are you jealious that the voices don’t talk to you?
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
You’re only crazy if you talk back to the voices.  Don’t ask me how I know…
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8
I have no issue with talking to myself.  The problem is when I get into a disagree with myself.    It's very upsetting to lose the argument.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King