Skip to main content
Topic: Checking Electrical Connections (Read 614 times) previous topic - next topic
Checking Electrical Connections
There was a thread some time back about checking all the electrical connections for tightness as they tend to work loose over time. Can someone direct me to it?

I know, search and bookmarks are my friend . . .
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Checking Electrical Connections
Reply #1
There was a thread some time back about checking all the electrical connections for tightness as they tend to work loose over time. Can someone direct me to it?

I know, search and bookmarks are my friend . . .
 Disconnect shore power, flip the battery disconnect, pull the solar fuse, grab your tool box and start tightening.  ;)

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Hi Greg, It won't hurt to check for tightness of the screws securing wiring in the 12V and 110V circuits. The connections at the ends of the bare wires. It is more of a problem at 5, 10, 15 years and beyond. At the screw connections is where the highest resistance point is, so when real current is flowing, it heats up the most, and expands, then cools down when the current isn't flowing. The copper expands and contracts as power is cycled on and off. That sometimes allows some air into the connection that allows copper oxide to form.The oxide is a poor conductor, and causes the junction to heat up more the next time heavy currents are flowing, etc. etc. About the only connections affected are 110V, and mostly air conditioning, and at the breakers. After 20-30 years some breaker connections at the bus bars can be getting 'shaky'.  A three year old motorhome isn't likely to have any problems, unless the initial assembly wasn't right.
     A firm but judicial use of torque is required. Too tight and you can strip out screws, or shear off wires. But if you find any connections that are loose, you need to inspect the situation carefully. I prefer no 'ointments' in these dry location places.
     Campground Voltage Dropping      RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
Most serious loose electrical connections, the type that causes fires, occur in the 120-VAC side of the Power Center.
After the shore power has been disconnected, removed the circuit breaker's metal cover and then tighten every screw inside, on the breakers and both buss bars.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Don't forget to clean and make sure the connections are tight at the other ends also - switches, lights, outlets, etc.
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #5
The first few times you do that on a new-to-you rig, once you think all the power is shut down,  take a VOM and make sure.
Trust but verify.
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #6
I have been meaning to ask where the breakers are. Are they all in the compartment with the batteries? Are there fuses located elsewhere?

When I brought the Taj to storage for the first time, the storage lady was surprised that I had no house shutoff. I understand this is an option the original owner chose not to have. Is it a big deal to add? I have been taking the Taj out every week or two to enjoy a day in the sun to maintain the house batteries. I hope I am doing enough.

Maud
2019 Twin King "The Taj Mahal"

Reply #7
I don't know the location of the power distribution box on a TK. It's about a 12x12 door, maybe brown, close to the floor.

Have you read the Owner's manual. I get the sense that you have not.

Adding a battery disconnect switch is simple enough. But I hesitate to write about it since you don't know where the breakers are located, I doubt I could be of much help, as I am a DIY guy.

Does your storage location have 120v so you could install a trickle charger?
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #8
Maud, the brown cover in the photo is the converter-charger cover. It should have “Parallax Power Supply” written on it.   This is in the mid bath model, not sure where yours is in the TK.

By all means, read the Lazy Daze manual and all the supporting manuals that came with your rig. You will learn a lot!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9

Have you read the Owner's manual. I get the sense that you have not.
Does your storage location have 120v so you could install a trickle charger?

Don, I live in a apartment in St. Louis, in a part of the city where we only have parallel street parking. After I bought it in mid-November, I stored the Taj in a covered storage facility located in Illinois. It is not possible for renters to use a trickle charger at that facility. Ironically, I do keep a trickle charger on my 1985 Mercedes 300DT, which is parked on the street, because I can’t bring myself to sell it. The Mercedes fuel system is the only part of a machine that I have any expertise in because of my years of making biodiesel.  But I have no way to plug in the Taj because it is not safe to park an RV on the street where I live.

Yes, I read the manual and, in the case of the electrical, have studied the high level electrical diagrams. I also search for topics on this forum to help gain a better understanding of what I am reading. I thought it was OK to ask questions in context, but I will be more careful about that. Every two weeks, I spring the Taj from storage for half a day, bring it home, parallel park it (which is very easy to do,) exercise the generator, and try to figure stuff out. I have a schedule that has to result in my cat Roswell New Mexico safely accompanying me so I can attend my nephew’s wedding in Tucson in early April.

As a long-time rehabber, I could build a small house with my own hands if I had to. But I am new to RVs, which are mechanical and unfamiliar to me, and have been trying to learn a topic at a time. This week was tire pressure and TPMS week. In two weeks I plan to focus on power/electricity. In four weeks I plan to focus on water (tanks, pumping, heating.) If the weather is good in six weeks, I want to work on leveling, as I need to decide if I think I can do this alone or should invest in a hydraulic system. Etc. In addition to learning the RV, I am also teaching myself RV etiquette, trying out route planning and campsite booking tools, etc.

I appreciate this forum and apologize if I have been asking too many questions.

Maud
2019 Twin King "The Taj Mahal"

Reply #10
I just finished checking the electrical connections on the 110V and 12V side of the converter, as well as the house battery connections.  Ron, you were right, everything was still tight. 

What I learned, which is probably common knowledge to most of you:

The battery disconnect switch doesn’t kill the power unless you pull the solar fuse. I had a couple of interior lights on and noticed they were still on after doing the battery disconnect switch. I noticed, though, that the lights were blinking and not steady. Why is that? When I pulled the solar fuse, the power was dead.

I also noticed that, when reinstalling the solar fuse, it sparked. Is this normal? Is there something else I should be doing to prevent the sparking? Luckily, I didn’t let any of the smoke out! 🤪
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
Don't know about the blinking - could be the charge controller needs the low impedance of the battery load to function properly. Check the controller manual. As far as the sparking - yes, by inserting the fuse you are completing an active electrical circuit, and that creates a spark.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #13
Not sure, Joan. I’ll look through the manual again to see.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
"Yes, I read the manual and, in the case of the electrical, have studied the high level electrical diagrams."

Which, unfortunately, are all that Lazy Daze give you. If they had proper schematics, there'd be a lot less head-scratching.

"As a long-time rehabber, I could build a small house with my own hands if I had to."

Which is more than most of us here could do!

"I appreciate this forum and apologize if I have been asking too many questions."

You're not! It's obvious that you're doing your homework and not just looking for somebody to answer all your questions. Keep at it and we'll do our best to help when you run into something that the manual or the LD Companion doesn't answer.

"I want to work on leveling, as I need to decide if I think I can do this alone or should invest in a hydraulic system."

You absolutely can do it on your own. Levelers are a convenience, but they're certainly not necessary for a solo traveler. Buy a couple ten-packs of Lynx blocks and a couple of stick-on bubble levels to put in the cab. After a little practice you'll find it's no big deal to get level.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #15
Don, I live in a apartment in St. Louis, in a part of the city where we only have parallel street parking. After I bought it in mid-November, I stored the Taj in a covered storage facility located in Illinois. It is not possible for renters to use a trickle charger at that facility. Ironically, I do keep a trickle charger on my 1985 Mercedes 300DT, which is parked on the street, because I can’t bring myself to sell it. The Mercedes fuel system is the only part of a machine that I have any expertise in because of my years of making biodiesel.  But I have no way to plug in the Taj because it is not safe to park an RV on the street where I live.

Yes, I read the manual and, in the case of the electrical, have studied the high level electrical diagrams. I also search for topics on this forum to help gain a better understanding of what I am reading. I thought it was OK to ask questions in context, but I will be more careful about that. Every two weeks, I spring the Taj from storage for half a day, bring it home, parallel park it (which is very easy to do,) exercise the generator, and try to figure stuff out. I have a schedule that has to result in my cat Roswell New Mexico safely accompanying me so I can attend my nephew’s wedding in Tucson in early April.

As a long-time rehabber, I could build a small house with my own hands if I had to. But I am new to RVs, which are mechanical and unfamiliar to me, and have been trying to learn a topic at a time. This week was tire pressure and TPMS week. In two weeks I plan to focus on power/electricity. In four weeks I plan to focus on water (tanks, pumping, heating.) If the weather is good in six weeks, I want to work on leveling, as I need to decide if I think I can do this alone or should invest in a hydraulic system. Etc. In addition to learning the RV, I am also teaching myself RV etiquette, trying out route planning and campsite booking tools, etc.

I appreciate this forum and apologize if I have been asking too many questions.

Maud

"I appreciate this forum and apologize if I have been asking too many questions."

Nope, not at all. If you can't find your answers using the LDOG Search function, online search engines and The Lazy Daze Companion, we're here to help. 

Chris 
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #16
Greg, Steve is right, The batteries provide regulation and absorb spikes. So the SB3000i was lacking a good reference.  The manual cautions to disconnect the PV panels first (that sparking fuse), before disconnecting the batteries.
      From the manual, middle of page 11 :
   "BATTERY & PV POWER CONNECT / DISCONNECT ORDER
 CAUTION: When applying power to the 3000i, battery power should be connected first followed by PV power.
       Disconnect PV power first when removing power. DO NOT disconnect the battery while the 3000i is in a Charge ON state with PV power connected. A healthy battery is a key component of the charge voltage control system and provides a very important charge voltage filtering function. Removal of the battery while the 3000i is charging may produce voltage spikes at the 3000i’s battery terminals which may damage 12V appliances still connected to the output 3000i.
       IF THE BATTERY MUST BE DISCONNECTED, REMOVE PV POWER FIRST    "     RonB    
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #17
Good to know, thanks Ron. Didn’t think to look in the manual but noted for future reference. I didn’t leave it in that  state for very long so hopefully didn’t  goober anything up!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #18
Maud, it took me a bit to translate from sticks and bricks construction to LD.  But mostly it was because I thought there might be something more than the obvious.
In case you didn't know, walls and ceilings have studs in them, so easy to find and use for whatever mods you want to do.
Bottom of cabinets - the bottom shelf comes out to use for wire runs.
Appliances are different (a little or a lot depending on which ones) and water pump is not typical in a house (I almost put that in a house once but we moved the stack instead as that was a better long term solution).  But they should be good for many years.

You may not be sure now, but in 6 months you will feel much more comfortable.
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #19
Maud, just score me as a cantankerous old man. I sure don't mind questions. I do expect the person to have done some homework before asking. You are at a disadvantage having the LD at some remove from you.

Back to your original question, if you are driving it every few weeks, that is putting some charge on the battery, Maybe not ideal, but adequate until April.

The picture shows an LD under roof. That's good, but prevents adding solar to keep a  charge the battery. Maybe in the future, you can store it where they have hookups.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy