Skip to main content
Topic: Replacement Escape Hatch for 1999 Lazy Daze (Read 701 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacement Escape Hatch for 1999 Lazy Daze
What's the best plan for replacing the escape hatch on the 1999 Lazy Daze?  Should we buy direct from Lazy Daze or is there a different option?
1999 Rear Bath

Re: Replacement Escape Hatch for 1999 Lazy Daze
Reply #1
What's the best plan for replacing the escape hatch on the 1999 Lazy Daze?  Should we buy direct from Lazy Daze or is there a different option?

If LD stocks it, get it from the Mothership. You will have a better chance of getting one that fits correctly.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I replaced the escape hatch last spring on our 07 mid bath.  I live in Virginia so shipping from Montclair was a big part of the cost. The new hatch is thicker and better made as compared to the original hatch on our LD.   I am very happy I did this.  Push the EZ button and call LD.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #3
If LD stocks it, get it from the Mothership. You will have a better chance of getting one that fits correctly.

Larry

What Larry says.
I went to the mothership for my 1995 hatch recently and it fit perfectly.

2021 Mid Bath

Reply #4
I think I would add framing to shrink the opening to fit a Fantastic Fan. The Mothership tossed the hatch and put in a fan in recent years. It sure would be nice for ventilation when cooking in an MB. I should add that to my list of projects. There is 12V close by that feeds the lights in the cabover.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #5

Do you need the entire hatch or just the lid or the top lid and frame?  You can get parts from LD, but if the money is not an issue, I would replace the entire unit.  Escape hatches are important safety equipment, I would not replace ours with anything except another escape hatch. 
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #6
If the condition of the plastic lid is the only issue with your escape hatch an alternative is to have an aluminum fabrication shop make one using the old lid as a pattern. I did this on our previous 2010 RB and no more problems. (See photos)
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #7
I think I would add framing to shrink the opening to fit a Fantastic Fan. The Mothership tossed the hatch and put in a fan in recent years. It sure would be nice for ventilation when cooking in an MB. I should add that to my list of projects. There is 12V close by that feeds the lights in the cabover.

An interesting variation has been done by Liam.
Adding Fan to Escape Hatch

Larry
Larry

Reply #8
An interesting variation has been done by Liam.

Larry
I fail to understand why the use of any part of an escape hatch was needed in this mod. Pictures no longer show.
I would frame the opening to match the dimension of the fan.

as for the hatch being a safety item,
well, for one we never slept up there and could not now as the bed was removed and storage cabinets installed.
second, you would need to be agile and slim enough to fit through the opening.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #9
I fail to understand why the use of any part of an escape hatch was needed in this mod. Pictures no longer show.
I would frame the opening to match the dimension of the fan.

well, for one we never slept up there and could not now as the bed was removed and storage cabinets installed.

I can see the pics, is this a problem for anyone else?

Adding a fan to the center of an existing escape hatch isn't a huge project, ripping the old escape hatch frame and reframing the hole so that it is smaller, to fit the fan, and making sure its watertight, is a big project, the hatch's frame is well installed and is a pain to remove. I did one once.....that was enough.
The new, smaller hole will need sheet metal added to make up for the roof section that would be exposed. Not a project I would want to try, too many possible sources of leaks.
Adding a fan in the cover allows the hatch to be returned to its stock configuration just by replacing the lid.

We sleep in the bunk and both of us can fit through the escape hatch, we used it at the Balloon Festival, we sat on the roof with our legs inside the escape hatch, enjoying the furnace's heat rising up, it was cold outside.

You too could have a fan near the escape hatch, we cut a new opening in Andy's Skylark for a Fantastic Fan, It required a bit of steel fabrication to reinforce the cut ceiling joist. Not a recommended project due to the complexity, the one time was enough for me.

Larry

Larry

Reply #10
This what I see, Larry.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
No active links to the photos for me, either.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
No active links to the photos for me, either.

Another moderator privilege perhaps?
This came straight from the archives.
https://www.lazydazeowners.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=4202
https://www.lazydazeowners.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=4203

Larry
Larry

Reply #14
I get the same message - no pics...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #15

You may feel differently if you rolled your rig onto the side with the door.  The escape hatch would now be almost at ground level, not needing much agility.  Or, if your floor is on fire, it may be the only way out.  It’s like taking the airbag out of your car dash so you can add another glove compartment.  ???  There is a reason why these are included in all RVs. Remove safety features at your own risk!

All RVs produced now are required to have emergency exits.  These can be windows or vents. But if my RV were on its side, I would have great difficulty getting out of a window that is now on the ceiling.  I’m glad I have both the vent and window exits. Of course, that means that you have to have windows that slide open easily, which is why I need to do some maintenance on my windows.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB

Reply #16
If the condition of the plastic lid is the only issue with your escape hatch an alternative is to have an aluminum fabrication shop make one using the old lid as a pattern. I did this on our previous 2010 RB and no more problems. (See photos)

I wanted to replace our plastic lid with the metal but could not find anyone to make the lid.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB

Reply #17
You may feel differently if you rolled your rig onto the side with the door.  The escape hatch would now be at ground level, not needing much agility.  Or, if your floor is on fire, it may be the only way out.  There is a reason why these are included in all RVs. Remove safety features at your own risk!

FYI, to my disappointment, LD discontinued installing the escape hatch several years ago.

We love to leave the hatch open at night and to occasionally stick our heads out to view the stars.
The escape hatch is also a way to access the roof without having to use the ladder.

Larry

Larry

Reply #18
Gee, Larry I have been thinking of ways to do it all day and you talk me out of it. Thanks!

Jealous that you can fit through the hatch. Our middles have increased in size since you saw us.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #19
Liam tried to send me the photos last year and I didn't have permission then and still don't.  I can view all of his other folders.  I have thought about an escape hatch fan for the best of both worlds, but have not come up with a solution yet.
1997 TK

Reply #20
Liam tried to send me the photos last year and I didn't have permission then and still don't.  I can view all of his other folders.  I have thought about an escape hatch fan for the best of both worlds, but have not come up with a solution yet.

Is the thread visible?

Larry
Larry

Reply #21
No. Text, no pics.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #23
I see the text, but pics have an replacement image that says "Sorry, you are not allowed to view this file.  Make sure you are connected to the server"

First image is linked to
Code: [Select]

Second is '4203'
2003 MB

Reply #24
I see the text, but pics have an replacement image that says "Sorry, you are not allowed to view this file.  Make sure you are connected to the server"
First image is linked to
Code: [Select]
Second is '4203'

Looks like a programing issue that will need the attention of the site’s owners, the webmaster.

Larry
Larry