Skip to main content
Topic: Source of Matching Maple Foil or Wallcovering?  (Read 646 times) previous topic - next topic
Source of Matching Maple Foil or Wallcovering?
Does anyone have any ideas where I might be able to get foil or wallpaper to match the maple cabinetry? The Taj Mahal’s previous owner used a lot of strong double sided tape to put up hooks etc. Unfortunately, this has peeled the thin foil veneer off several surfaces, such as the face of the fridge and the wall next to the bathroom door. In my pre-RV life, I had some success in wallpapering cabinet faces as a way to refinish them. In the case of the cabinetry for the Taj, it would be best to try to match the maple foil. However, I don’t know where to get it. Is the Mothership my best bet?
2019 Twin King "The Taj Mahal"

Re: Source of Matching Maple Foil or Wallcovering?
Reply #1
I was confused (hardly a rare condition) by the term "foil". I think you mean the vinyl-clad hardboard surfaces of the cabinets/cupboards? The wood-grain vinyl is laminated to the hardboard, but, as you discovered, it can tear and "de-laminate" from removal of something that was stuck tightly to the surface.  (NB: Some are under the impression that the surfaces of the cabinets/cupboards are wood; they are not. Except for the drawer fronts and trim pieces, the cabinet-front surfaces are vinyl-clad hardboard.)

I see a couple of "low tech" cosmetic options: 1, Stick a photograph or some other "ugly spot covering" over the tear, and/or 2, Recover the entire fronts of the cupboards/cabinets with vinyl "contact paper". You might check on Amazon, or at Home Depot, Lowe's, or any number of other sources for similar or wildly different patterns. The other "fix" would be to spot-match the color of the vinyl covering and stain the bald spots. If you do decide to cover the cabinet fronts with contact paper, be sure to clean the surfaces well before applying it.

Good luck; let us know what you come up with!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
"I was confused (hardly a rare condition) by the term 'foil'."

Although my dictionary says that foil is "metal hammered or rolled into a thin flexible sheet," I've noticed IKEA uses this term for the thin surface layer of their less expensive furniture, even when that layer is solid colored or fake woodgrain. So maybe the meaning is shifting...

You can ask the factory, but I doubt you can buy just the woodgrain vinyl layer; you've probably have to replace the whole panel. I've used Joan's suggested Con-Tact film method in an earlier Lazy Daze, but it would probably look odd unless you applied it throughout. (You could get away with just doing the fridge door, though.)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
"...previous owner used a lot of strong double sided tape to put up hooks etc..."

Zooming in on your photo it appears that the longer strips with the rounded lower end are the remnants of a common 'stick-on' product (of which I cannot recall a name).

I would think that with a judicious application of heat, from a heat gun or an ordinary hair dryer, you should be able to pull the backing off the fridge door. A bit of acetone or alcohol should finish the job.  ;)

Good luck with trying to 'match' anything!   :(

The brand name is "Command Products"

https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/command/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3feIzuDx7QIVNAqtBh235wm5EAAYASAAEgL2HfD_BwE&utm_term=cbg-chim-cmmd-en_us-ba-paidsearch-cpc-google-na-na-na-ne18&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI3feIzuDx7QIVNAqtBh235wm5EAAYASAAEgL2HfD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!5388!3!160213748068!e!!g!!command%20products
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
The brand name is "Command Products"

If this is what they are, pulling down on the tab will remove them without damaging the underlying surface. This is part of the design...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Yeah, foil is what they now call the thin sheet of fake veneer used on MDF, etc. Foil is actually often a melamine laminate rather than vinyl, which is what they use for contact paper. Here’s an interesting page with more than you may wish to know about how they make it. The foil on our cabinetry is paper impregnated with resin, I think. What Is Melamine? - Uses & Construction Explained

The command strips take off the foil layer, I found. In addition to the damage on the fridge doors, the inside of the wardrobe is pretty trashed from a bad case of Gorilla tape removal, but it’s not something I have to look at all the time, so I am not going to worry about that.

I will call the Mothership to see if replacement panels can be installed on the fridge. If not, I will inquire if I can purchase some of the same fabric used to upholster the sofas in the lounge. If I can get the fabric, I will upholster (yes, I sew) the fridge panels and wardrobe doors with upholstery fabric. If O can get the fabric, I will get enough to do the future pantry door.

Andy, your pantry is a brilliant design! My cat Roswell New Mexico eats canned food, which I normally order in vast quantities. If/when I get serious about spending a lot of time in the Taj, I will need to be able to store a lot of canned cat food for my boy.

A second issue with the cabinetry on the fridge side of the house is that the right door on the wardrobe is strangely warped at the top. It is so warped that the hardware that holds it closed will not engage at the top. It is not a case of hardware misadjustment...it’s a true warp. I am thinking of removing the door and pressing it under a heavy pile of lead that a friend of mine has collected, to see if it will straighten out. I plan to ask Todd for a price to replace it in case that doesn’t work.

I don’t mean to be so dainty about superficial things...it’s just that the Taj Mahal is a very big deal to me, and I would like it to start out looking its best as the Big Adventure begins. I mean, it’s only a 2019! My daily driver is a 2006 VW Golf TDI with a collapsing headliner that I bought used, so I am not a person who tends to have nice vehicles.

Thanks for all the help!

Reply #6
Maud,
Check the fridge/freezer doors. Ours are inserts.
People have replaced these with white board, mirrors, magnet boards, etc.
See this thread.
Just giving you another choice.
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #7
  Hi Maud; and of course you can get a high pressure laminate, WilsonArt panels in a multitude of colors and surface finishes. I used to call it 'Formica'.  Cut it to size with a lot leftover for smaller project. It is washable, durable and almost un scratchable.  I liked the Pasadena Oak, but you could probably get samples to match more exactly. I'm not sure what color you have. I'd have to see it. No fingerprints!. It comes rolled up, once unrolled, it is best left flat. A little tricky to cut, no scissors!  
  My favorite     Laminate - Pasadena Oak - 7986  
      and the sampling of colors.     Thermally Fused Laminate Designs| Coordinated Surfaces | Wilsonart       
    The mothership might know the name of your pattern, or If you do find a near perfect match, let the rest of us know what color you used. For such a new coach, you would only have to do this once. WilsonArt is really durable, fade resistant, fireproof, etc.  I've used it in my coach, but can't remember what color it was. I still have much of the sheet, but it is a perfect match for my wall pattern/color.   I did like the 'Rio' and Zebrawood.  Perhaps the Nepal Teak.        RonB

edited 12/30: Looking at wear characteristics, I'd stick with HPL (High Pressure Laminates) for the RV.  The colors available are the same.  Laminate - Nepal Teak - 7209
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #8
I had not heard of resin-impregnated paper; Ed told me that the cabinet surface (and drawer fronts, in my 2003) inserts were vinyl laminated hardboard. It's certainly possible, and indeed, likely, that LD is using a different cabinet insert product in newer and new LDs, and it well may  be the "WilsonArt". One would have to get the name of the manufacturer of the cabinetry that LD uses and find out from them what the product content is. Interesting!

Thermally Fused Laminate Designs| Coordinated Surfaces | Wilsonart
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
AFAIK, the paneling is not a  high-pressure laminate such as Formica or Wilsonart. Every LD I have looked at uses a luan paneling with a printed wood, vinyl overlay.  A matching laminate would work for the refrigerator door.
Paneling used in later model LDs, especially the cherry, seems to be more fragile than the paneling used years ago.
Our well used 18-year-old LD has no such damage, even after sticking dozens of things to the walls through the years, including velcro and Command Strips.

Since your LD is almost new, LD should have 4' X 8' sheets of paneling available, it will be expensive to buy and ship.
I have made the drive to LD more than once to save on the expensive crating and freight charges for paneling and rear ladders.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
The door panel material on this 2019 Dometic fridge is definitely not Formica or WilsonArt, which would not have peeled off from Command strips or Gorilla tape. It’s not vinyl either. It’s a paper thin foil layer laminated to hardboard...essentially, it’s cardboard with a thin maple looking face that has enough resin on it to make it wipeable.

I will inquire about part numbers for replacement fridge door inserts and see if I can get them from a Dometic dealer. I will also inquire to find out the manufacturer of the cabinetry.

I like the idea of replacing the inserts with mirrors. In historic three room shotgun style houses like mine, they often used mirrors in the dark interior rooms to bounce the light around.

Thanks for all the tips. I will report back.

Reply #11
The door panel material on this 2019 Dometic fridge is definitely not Formica or WilsonArt, which would not have peeled off from Command strips or Gorilla tape. It’s not vinyl either. It’s a paper thin foil layer laminated to hardboard...essentially, it’s cardboard with a thin maple looking face that has enough resin on it to make it wipeable.

The refrigerator's door panels were provided by Dometic and are a different material than the coach's paneling.
A piece of the coach's interior paneling could probably be used to replace the damaged refrigerator door panel.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
This link is to what we used for fridge replacement panels there are other suggestions in the same thread.
For spots on the cabinet doors you can disguise them with a couple of different colors of wood stains and some artists brushes to draw in the wood grain.

https://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=34718.0;attach=16635;image
Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.

Reply #13
Since your rig is only 2 years old, I think you can buy the cut panel replacements directly from Dometic, you will need the serial and model numbers.  Unless you really like that look, I would replace the panels with metal sheets that I can use magnets on.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #14
Since your rig is only 2 years old, I think you can buy the cut panel replacements directly from Dometic, you will need the serial and model numbers.  Unless you really like that look, I would replace the panels with metal sheets that I can use magnets on.

Magnetic steel needs to be painted or coated to prevent rust. A stainless steel or aluminum panel will not be magnetic.

Larry
Larry

Reply #16
First, I want to thank "Ron B" for the link to the Formica products. Our current coach has paper-faced plywood on large surfaces. I have been looking for a decent replacement, and the Formica is very promising.

On refrigerator panels: I replaced the panels on our current coach's refrigerator with magnetic stainless steel ones from QuickShipMetals.com (link here). The refrigerator manual listed the panel dimensions. Note: A refrigerator magnet did cause a rust spot on one of the panels, so while they are magnetic enough they may not be "stainless" enough for some.

Mark H.
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #17
It suddenly occurred to me. Is it necessary to remove the fridge in order to have enough clearance to replace the inserts? Or can the inserts be replaced with the fridge in place? When I look at the installation manual, it looks like inserts have to be replaced prior to installation...

Thanks for all the help.

Maud

Reply #18
Maud

Not a problem as far as I know... I was able to replace the front panels on my fridge by merely opening the door, sliding the old out and the new in, no need to remove the fridge box.  ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #19
Hi Maud.  I think I had to remove the bottom edge of the refrigerator door to slide in the panel. The door had to be opened, but the 'box' stays put.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB