Skip to main content
Topic: Do Wider Tires Handle Better (Read 504 times) previous topic - next topic
Do Wider Tires Handle Better
As published on Quora. Perhaps useful for your passenger car tires.

After more than 50 years working in the automotive field as an engineer, owner of tire and repair dealerships and having sold millions of tires in multi-state, multi-store tire/repair chains I would summarize as follows. As a rule of thumb, wider tires compared to original sizes will make the vehicle handle better. One of the reasons that German cars handled better was they used 2 to 3 sizes wider and one to two sizes lower profile than their American counter parts on similar class of vehicles. If you track road test on vehicles on the 300 feet diameter skidpad g forces, you will find most O/E tire sizes will not generate more than .86G while tire sizes such as low profile 30 to 40 series with cross-section width from P245 to P325 and larger will generate more than 1.11 g. The suspension and weight distribution have a lot to do with it but generally on similarly equipped vehicles, the wider tire will generate better cornering figures and lower slalom times. The larger rim size also promotes larger brake rotors so braking have improved as well. It is not unusual to see 13″ rotors where few years back the same vehicles only equipped with 11″ to 12″ rotor. The larger braking surface area and diameter reduce fading under severe conditions such a long down hill, winding roadways or towing.

Tire width must be mated with a wider rim for better handling and wear. Handling also depends on the aspect ratio of the tire and the rubber compound. An example of it is any high-performance tire - Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (a summer tire) will beat the same size tire with the same speed rating that is rated (all-season or has M+S designation). A lower profile means less sidewall distortion on turns and higher inflation pressure so efficiency will not suffer. Usually, when the tires are of good quality and wider mounted to an appropriate rim for the road condition, they will handle better. Most of my comments are for day time driving on dry pavement. Wider tires can lower your traction and direction stability in rainy weather as hydroplaning is a major problem. Since passenger tire treads are only 11/32″ deep, water dissipation will always a problem. Furthermore, an increase in water channel width will also reduce the mileage you get from a set of tires as the tread to void density is lowered. That was why “Aqua tread” tires were discontinued in favor of “all-season” tires. So if you encountering rainy weather, use caution and slow down.

Winter tires are not just for snow as they work better in snow, ice, slush and mud and on cold, dry pavement. Their rubber compound are very different. Most manufacturers include silica and some special formula with traction bits and hollow cells that squeegee and suction water off the road. Tread designs are far more aggressive to provide better acceleration and shorter stopping distances. The tread patterns have more sipes than all-season tires to squeegee more water off the road. Saw-tooth sipes provide more surface areas and cut into snow and slush better than straight sipes. The “micropump” holes in the tread act like plungers to suck water off the road and then spit it out as the tire rolls. Modern winter tires stop sooner on snow and grip better on acceleration test as well when compared to all-season tires. Like most specialized tires, they last about 5 years or 35,000 miles compared to high mileage rated tires that can last 80,000 miles.

Off-road and 4X4 may be different because the aspect ratio - sidewall is much higher for the purpose of “Envelope Capacity” the ability to roll over “envelope obstacles” rocks rather than bouncing over them, tire mass is much greater and concentrated on the tread area and rims are off-set to gain track width, they can be very difficult to balance and their radial force variation is much greater compared to low profile sizes, so harshness, vibration and noise will always be a problem. Furthermore, there are all seasons, mud and all-terrain type of tread designs optimized for road surfaces encountered. Inflation must be changed to fit the terrain and driving condition encountered as well.

There is a lot of engineering that determines what is the best tire size for the vehicle. On top of that, the manufacturer also have to balance the price for the performance so they will be profitable. The consumer may have different uses of that vehicle and a specific budget for the modification. Tire width is not the only consideration to obtain a higher level of performance. Get some professional input if you have special tire needs and you may be well rewarded.
it should be noted that the low profile tire may be less comfortable a ride so there is a compromise. Most luxury cars use relatively high profile tires for comfort. More give. If you live in an area with potholes, a taller tire on larger rims is best. The smaller diameter gets swallowed up by pot holes. You may also invest in plastic guards on your rim edges to protect them from scraping the curb when you park. There are clear or colored choices. I personally choose to upgrade my car with Pirelli performance or all season tires from Michelin. I may go up one size wider or choose slightly higher or lower profile to complement the road and driving condition.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Do Wider Tires Handle Better
Reply #1
Good information.

Too bad our LD's dual rear wheels prevent running a wider tire. There needs to be enough room between the duals to provide adequate airflow and cooling, the minimum distance is specified by the manufacturer.
If the rear tires are too close or even touching, the tires will overheat, usually leading to a failure, a blowout for example.
The fronts tires, on the proper width rim, could be wider but would then require a second spare tire.
Guess we are stuck with what we have.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Don,
Great overview on tire selection. Thanks for sharing👍

Macmarty
26.5 2005 Midbath
2005 MB

Reply #3
Good information.

Too bad our LD's dual rear wheels prevent running a wider tire. Larry
What kind of handling improvement are you after? I'm sure it's not higher side load capability, but perhaps less wander in crosswinds or when a truck passes?

- Has anyone tried raising the tire pressure on just the front tires? That might help in a crosswind, not sure about a truck passing.
- Selecting a motorhome with long wheelbase/short overhang will definitely help, a big reason I chose the 2005 Jayco 24' Greyhawk over the LD 24' units (181" vs 158").
- Reducing the caster might help, also, but perhaps cause other problems if it was beyond the factory specs - maybe just have it set at the minimum allowed.
- Making the power steering more powerful would help, but I have no idea how to do it

2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #4
  From time to time I read here about driving control and comfort issues  with  their LD.  I guess we are very fortunate to have

our 31 foot 2007 LD bought new at the factory  with only the Bilstein shocks added.   Drives like a dream,  been all over U S Can.
 to Alaska with no issues.   Then again what we think is a very nice ride with differ from others,  just saying   Oh, 55,000 miles

Bob Wilson
2007 31 IB

Reply #5
OK, Eric took this topic from passenger car tires to RV handling. It seems he has a Jayco, not an LD?

I am with you Bob, our LD handles quite well. It does not wander, it tracks down the pavement.
120.000 miles and yeah I replaced the original Bielsteins around 80,000.

I would like to drive some of the LD's whose owners have handling problems, so I might understand their complaint

Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
I have VERY wide tires on the back of my 1974 Chevy 1/2 ton short bed.  Kept the truck (hauling a trailer with our Carrera car on it) from flipping when some woman cut my Dad off.  Jack knifed the trailer, bent the back bumper and bent the front of the trailer "V", but truck and race car okay.  Cops attributed that to the wide tires.  Woman got away, unfortunately.
2005 RB

Reply #7
As off-road enthusiasts know, wide, high-volume tires can be run at lower pressures, helping to soak up the bumps, plus increasing the flotation on soft surfaces.
I wouldn't mind a smoother ride and the added ability to traverse sandy roads with the LD.
The front wheels and tires could be a lot wider but with the limitations of the rear duals, and the desire to carry only one spare tire, this is only a dream.

Larry
Larry

Reply #8
Keep thinking Larry, I am sure that with enough money you could extend the axels to allow spacing the dual tires to allow for wider tires. 8)
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #9
Super single conversions are available for F-Series Single-wheel conversions. But cost, a 3 1/2" lift, huge fender flairs, and carrying two different spares would be serious downsides if one could even be done on a LD.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #10
Keep thinking Larry, I am sure that with enough money you could extend the axels to allow spacing the dual tires to allow for wider tires. 8)

Our LD's are already at the maximum legal width, the axles or wheels cannot extend outward more. The rear axle spring mounts would need to be moved inward and the axle narrowed to accommodate wider tires and wheels. The wheel wells would need to be pushed deeper into the interior, to provide the needed clearance.
Probably not going to happen.

Larry
Larry

Reply #11
Super single conversions are available for F-Series Single-wheel conversions[/url]. But cost, a 3 1/2" lift, huge fender flairs, and carrying two different spares would be serious downsides if one could even be done on a LD.
Super Single Wheel Conversion Kit Convert Dually DRW | Buckstop Truckware

The Buckstop system could be made to work, with big modifications to the rear wheel wells, to accommodate the huge, 41" diameter tire. The stock tire is only 28"in diameter, much of the interior will need to be removed to provide clearance.
The suspension needs to be lift at least 3-1/2" or more.

Years ago, there was a company that sold a wider front tire and wheel assembly, made for Class A and Cs.
The need to carry two spares made it impractical.

Larry
Larry