Skip to main content
Topic: Roof vent replacement - all Fantastic Fans? (Read 869 times) previous topic - next topic
Roof vent replacement - all Fantastic Fans?
We will be getting our roof resealed soon and figured it will be the time to replace the roof vents.  We have a 2003 Rear Bath with an entertainment center, so there are only three vents.  Would it be wise to replace all three with Fantastic Fans?  The sofa area already has a functioning Fantastic Fan but it is 17 years old.
Thank you,  Linda C.
2003 RB “Lulu Boo Berry” The Blue Ghost
2008 Jeep Liberty “Mr. Toad”

Re: Roof vent replacement - all Fantastic Fans?
Reply #2
The newer Fantastic Fans use a much noisier motor than what originally came in your 2003 LD.
The older Fantastics used the '"soup can" motor, while the newer one use the "pancake motor" with it's squeaky brushes.
I would give the Maxx fans a try.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Not arguing against Maxx fans, but today I installed a new FF and it's whisper quiet. It's the one the Mothership started using this year. Remote control with six-speed and temp settings. On high it's as quiet as the 2007 model was on low.

If you are thinking replacement is a DIY job, well it is, but it's a major PIA.
I will write up my experience for The Companion so others can point out my failures.

If you have an LD on order, tell Todd you want the remote control fan in all locations.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #4
Not arguing against Maxx fans, but today I installed a new FF and it's whisper quiet. It's the one the Mothership started using this year. Remote control with six-speed and temp settings. On high it's as quiet as the 2007 model was on low.
If you have an LD on order, tell Todd you want the remote control fan in all locations.
I updated the Fantastic Fan in our LD's bath two years ago with the remote control kit, it came with a new motor.
The new motor squeaked, two warranty replacements motors later, the motor still squeaks.
Maybe it was a bad production run of motors, don't know. After hundreds of hours of operation, it still squeaks.
Glad your new motor doesn't squeak.

We have had problems with the remote control, it gets mixed up at times and does not work properly, requiring manual raising or lowering of the lid to get it back into sync.

Larry
Larry

Reply #5
Jus a word oof warning on the Maxx Aire fans. I put one in our rig and it works great on 12v (house batteries). However, on shore power it only works on the high speed setting. After watching a bunch of videos and reading various forum posts, I found out this is a common problem with Maxx Aire because they have a very limited voltage range. (IIRC it was designed to only work up to 13.2 v).

To fix it I am installing a 12 V to 12 V buck converter. That should fix the problem. But I’m very disappointed that I have to take on this responsibility and cost when it could have been prevented by the fan having a greater voltage range.

Harvey, the RV
1989 22' Front Lounge

Reply #6
My experience echoes Larry's and others': the late-model Fan-Tastic fan remote is a pain to use and gets confused, and the motor squeaks.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Just a word of warning on the Maxx Aire fans. I put one in our rig and it works great on 12v (house batteries). However, on shore power it only works on the high speed setting. After watching a bunch of videos and reading various forum posts, I found out this is a common problem with Maxx Aire because they have a very limited voltage range. (IIRC it was designed to only work up to 13.2 v).
To fix it I am installing a 12 V to 12 V buck converter. That should fix the problem.

Several of us have converted fan to PWM speed controls for the ceiling fan.
This is one of the controls I have used. At low speeds, the fans uses less power than the old controls that dumps excess power into resistors, wasted power turned into heat.
Amazon.com: RioRand Upgraded 6V-90V 15A DC Motor Pump Speed Controller:...

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry

Reply #8
the late-model Fan-Tastic fan remote is a pain to use and gets confused, and the motor squeaks.

Now you tell me. I waited for 3 months to get it. Paid $300. And spent over 12 hours putting it in.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #9
the late-model Fan-Tastic fan remote is a pain to use and gets confused, and the motor squeaks.

Now you tell me. I waited for 3 months to get it. Paid $300. And spent over 12 hours putting it in.

You didn't ask, I have mentioned these problems before.
We switched to the remote control due to the difficulty my wife has reaching the ceiling controls on a standard Fantastic Fan. So far, under warranty, I have replaced the remote and two motors. Wish I understood why the remote control gets "confused" at times.

I do like is being able to turn the fan on and off, while in the bunk. We often leave the bathroom fan running at night, with the escape hatch open, to provide cool air. If it gets too cold or when we want to get up, the fan can be turned off without getting out of bed.
To make it a little better, a remote furnace on-off switch has been installed in the bunk area.
Roughing it is tough.

Larry
Larry

Reply #10
To make it a little better, a remote furnace on-off switch has been installed in the bunk area.
Roughing it is tough.

How did you accomplish that, Larry?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
How did you accomplish that, Larry?

By bypassing the thermostat, something that may not be easily done with the wall-mounted HVAC controls, found in 2005 and later models.
It's a nice enhancement, while we do not use a heater at night, being able to warm things up, without having to get out of bed, is wonderful on very cold mornings.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
Perhaps we need a sticky for items to avoid buying, like remote control FFs?

I sure did not see your mention of it. But I do not read all posts and probably would bypass one on fans like I would on making coffee.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #13
I hate to hijack this fan thread, but I am about to remove the screen from my non-functional FF to check the switch. I see the screen has a little flare to allow you to slip in a finger. But the plastic seems pretty cheesy and I don’t want to crack it. Should I pry with a screwdriver to release the screen, or is it safe to pull it right off?
2019 Twin King "The Taj Mahal"

Reply #14
I put a large screwdriver tip into the "flare" to pry the screen slightly away from the rim, then gently pry each "button" loose from around the rim of the screen. You are right that the screen is flimsy; I tried to remove it by just using the finger indentation and pulling it down. That resulted in ordering a replacement screen. The screen on the much older FF in my rig is attached with small screws; IMO, a much preferable method!

YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #15
I hate to hijack this fan thread, but I am about to remove the screen from my non-functional FF to check the switch. I see the screen has a little flare to allow you to slip in a finger. But the plastic seems pretty cheesy and I don’t want to crack it. Should I pry with a screwdriver to release the screen, or is it safe to pull it right off?

Older Fantastic Fans used a screen that was attached using screws, it was a PIA to remove and install.
The older cover was replaced several years ago with the one that pops into place, it's easier to remove but more fragile.
As the plastic ages and becomes brittle, it will eventually break when removing the pop-on screen for cleaning.
Consider the pop-on screens to be a disposable item, we replaced both of our screw-mounted screens five years, one has already cracked, the second one is still intact, I'm waiting for it to break ever time it is removed for cleaning.
Even with a screen cracked in one spot, the screen still fits and works OK.

Larry

Larry

Reply #16
Thanks for the advice, Joan and Larry! I ran out of time today to work on the fan. I will spring the Taj Mahal from storage again next Monday, weather permitting, and do the screen removal surgery. I actually don’t know if the bathroom and cab fans work either...the one I am focused on is the the big central one near the lounge. I will check the other two next week. Thanks again!
2019 Twin King "The Taj Mahal"

Reply #17
"Older Fantastic Fans used a screen that was attached using screws, it was a PIA to remove and install."
---
I keep a few extra screws for the screen in the "hardware drawer" because, if one of the little things is dropped while removing or re-installing, it will never be seen again!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18
Hi Joan and Maud. The snap in screen is a direct install,  and covers where the empty screw holes are. A clue to durability is that they come two to a package.   Upon checking, most come one to a package now. (must be a 'cash cow' for some RV stores now.)
. Fan-Tastic Vent 2-Pack White Pop N Lock Screen K2035-81 22-0212   Hopefully still a current product.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #19
I keep a few extra screws for the screen in the "hardware drawer" because, if one of the little things is dropped while removing or re-installing, it will never be seen again!

Never seen again until it ends up stuck in the bottom of your foot, BTDT.

Larry
Larry

Reply #20
More good news Consider the pop-on screens to be a disposable item
I eyeballed it and gently pried on it and decided it fragile.
Maybe it can be reinforced with fiberglass tape and epoxy on the hidden side?

Someone gave me the idea to put plastic thingies on the four of the screws that allowed the old screen to removed with a few flicks of the hand. I will see if the new screen can be adapted.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #21
I also have the RB model.  We find having two Max air fans, one in the bath, the other in the lounge area is sufficient for us. The vent above our cab bed is the escape hatch. Since you have the EC, I’m not sure where your escape hatch is located but I would only replace that with another escape hatch if it is a vent. If your escape hatch is a window, then you have lots of options.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #22
The new fans have a snap-off screen. It's not very sturdy. One or people reported breaking it removing it.

I had what I think are called screen clips on our old fan. See picture.
I can do the same on the new fan.
Obtain the screen clips. They come in several sizes you need small ones. Ace hardware?
Use a Dremel to remove the plastic things that hold the screen.
Drill four holes in the fan face, to hold four small wood screws.
Attach screen with screen clips.
Flip the clips off to remove and clean the screen.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #24
Our milage varies Caligirl, we cook and it gets hot up front.

The lounge is the front in the RB. The RB only has the escape hatch, the lounge vent and the bathroom vent. The AC unit is in the kitchen.
So yes, your mileage should vary significantly.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo