Skip to main content
Topic: Pickup report 2021 RB with driver assist pkg (long) (Read 1335 times) previous topic - next topic
Pickup report 2021 RB with driver assist pkg (long)
So I made it home to Michigan from my pickup.  Somewhat uneventful, but not completely.  Got 2 stone chips in my windshield in New Mexico.  That state is just a bunch of stone piles and the stones like to attack people with shiny new vehicles.  Oh well, I guess if I had to get a boo boo on my new LD, a repairable stone chip is the best.  And the plan was to dump and winterize the night before I got home because Michigan won’t be above freezing for the next week at least.  All the other days of the trip were 40° or better during the day.  But did you know Cabela’s dump station in Nobleville, IN is seasonal?  I didn’t.  Had to do a scramble to find a dump station that was open and then I ended up winterizing as soon as I made it to my house.

My SIL and I flew to Ontario on Dec 8 and rented a car to get us to the hotel.  Nothing in CA is open, so dinner was takeout Wendy’s.  The next morning we drove to the Mothership where Todd  and Lidia (my RB) were waiting for us.  He took me through the whole vehicle and he explained the operation of all the systems.  Only thing not working was the sound on the backup camera.  That was fixed in the afternoon by changing a setting.  Oh yeah, there was also a slight miss of the green paint inside the threshold of the passenger door.  All taken care of before we left the next day.

There is a new brand of coach door they’re using and they changed to a thicker weatherstripping.  It takes slamming the door to be able to deadbolt the door now.  Todd said that will ease over time.  I’m taking his word on that, and it does seem to be a bit easier to close after a week of use.

On Wednesday I took the rental back to the airport and Todd picked us up and took us to LD.  Daniel from Interstate Transport met us there and drove us to Ehrenberg, AZ.  He had a non-stop commentary on the scenery.  Met a notary at the Flying J at the first exit.  Apparently she sets up shop there and makes a good bit of money from all the people transporting vehicles outside of CA.  She said that she had just finished up with someone who had 25 to get notarized.  Daniel told us to skip the Flying J for gas because the next exit would have cheaper gas.  He was wrong.  All the gas from Ehrenberg through Quartzite was the same price.  We left Montclair about 9:30 Pacific time and we were on our own at 3:40pm Mountain time.  Gas varied from $3.399 in CA to $1.639 in Amarillo, TX.  Most places it was near $1.90

We drove through Phoenix, Albuquerque, Amarillo, OK City, St. Louis, and Indianapolis, then home to New Hudson (a western Detroit suburb).   We Wallydocked in Buckeye AZ and Gallup NM, then a hole in the wall RV park with electricity in Sayre OK. Next was another Walmart in St.Roberts, MO.  The last night was going to be Cabela’s just north of Indianapolis, but they failed us on the dump situation so we decided to drive another hour north where we found an open dump station at a Loves truck stop.  There was a Cracker Barrel the exit before so that’s where we stayed the last night.  The next morning we dumped and drove home where we winterized.  Mileage varied daily from 12.1 going down hill from Grants NM to Amarillo TX with a 28mph tail wind, to 9.9 with a hefty head wind.  Average per the computer on the dash is 10.2.  We were driving 68-71 mph, so slower driving should improve that mileage.

This mad dash back was so I could get to Quadra/Bigfoot in time for my Dec 17 appointment to install levelers.  That is where I am sitting typing this, plugged in and getting snowed on waiting for my 7am installation.  We only drove during daylight, so it wasn’t too bad.  Since we got back early enough, I was able to get my stone chips repaired yesterday and today I went to the DMV.  I was pleasantly surprised there.  MI charges registration based on the base MSRP of the vehicle.  The clerk listed my vehicle as a 2021 Ford Econoline with a motor home body style.  MSRP $34,750!  So I will pay registration based on that instead of Lazy Daze’s MSRP of $116,250 (although I did have to pay the 6% sales tax on the full sale price)  :(

I opted for the driver assist package.  I’m glad I got it, especially because I’m new at driving this big thing.  Lane keeping assist can be turned on and off.  It is a dingle bell when you get too near the line markers.  If you hit it too many times, there is a message that suggests a coffee break.  I was on a winding 2 lane mountain road between Phoenix and Albuquerque and discovered that message.   ;)

The adaptive cruise control just works, no messages.  It took until we were in MO until I discovered how to change the following distance.  Really obvious once you see it.  You don’t have the option to use non-adaptive cruise.  It is either adaptive or none.   It tells you what number you have the cruise set for which I like.  Also, if you’re behind a slower vehicle, as soon as you put on a blinker to change lanes, it steps on the gas.

There is also pre- and post-collision braking.  I don’t plan on trying those out.

I don’t know if this is new, but the gear shift has P R D M 2 1 .  In M you can manually shift the gears with + and – buttons that are on the gear shift lever.  I haven’t seen the M before, only 2 and 1.

Oh, on the 2021, Ford insisted the factory radio had to stay when ordering the driver assist package.  So the radio is wired into the chassis battery and will shut off after 20 minutes.  Todd said Ford has figured out how to do the package without the radio for 2022, so LD can install their radio wired into the house batteries and it won’t time out.

I got Mollusk (grey tweed) upholstery everywhere and the light cabinetry, although there is still LD’s favorite beige on the cabinet head bumpers and the cab interior.  I’ll take a pictures when I get settled.  I have two days to acclimate my cats to this new home and then we drive to Austin, TX for Christmas with my son and his family.

Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Re: Pickup report 2021 RB with driver assist pkg (long)
Reply #1
Linda, welcome to the FOLD (Fraternal Order of LazyDaze). 
Thanks for the travelogue and glad the homecoming was a success.
The journey is just starting.
See you down the road.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #2
Hi Linda;  Glad you are almost home. I hope the bigfoot install goes well. Great write up.  I have a TK, 1999 vintage, I didn't pick it up until 2000.  My seating is in the back and LD didn't know you could get remote controlled radios back then. To cure that self shutoff problem, you could just install another radio about midship, connected to the house battery. Radios are pretty inexpensive anymore. Probably could install better speakers. I did for the rear.  Happy Trails     RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
Congratulations Linda, glad to hear everything is working out as you planned.
Theresa
Sand Castle (Theresa & Everett) Surfside
01'  26.5 Mid Bath,   2018 31IB
Michigan born and starting to explore the US with my  spouse and our furry friend. Enjoying joining LD group rallies.

Reply #4
Congrats, Linda, and glad you made it back safely!  Have you figured out where to put the litter box yet? Our two cats want to know.  Look forward to seeing your photos!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
Sounds like you have a good pickup and drive home.    Yea then rocks on the road.   Been there.   <smile> all the LD's have a scar here and there from fighting with the road.

Nice report on the driver assist pkg.   <smile> my driver assist pkg sits in the right seat.   A tad more expensive then the one Ford offers.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #6
Hi Linda, it's been awhile since I picked up my 'BlueBelle'. My first windshield lasted about 8 months. I was always going to try a bug deflector on the hood, for bugs and to slow down the big rocks.  I never got to that on my improvements list.  I don't see one for a 2020 E450, yet.   (I remember a new windshield for my '85 Honda lasted 4 hours before another rock hit, that required another windshield).   RonB

Reply #7
Got 2 stone chips in my windshield in New Mexico.  That state is just a bunch of stone piles and the stones like to attack people with shiny new vehicles.  Oh well, I guess if I had to get a boo boo on my new LD, a repairable stone chip is the best. 

Yeah, I don't know what sort of Karma it is with stones and RV windshields.  On the drive back to Michigan from picking up our 2002 MB and then our 2017 MB,  a stone cracked the windshield.  We had to have the 2002 MB windshield replaced and the 2017 MB windshield patched. 
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #8
"I don't know what sort of Karma it is ..."

:o   I've lost at least three windshields, one of which took a stone in the transition between I-25 and I-40 in ABQ. It may have something to do with the regulations governing how gravel trucks are covered.

And that is precisely why I carry 100% coverage on my glass!   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
My rig has 3 big (repaired) rock chips in it.  All from highway driving (I-40 and I-95) - 2 of them in New Mexico.

There's something about the cabover and the way air flows that makes the windshield a magnet for flying rocks. 

Insurance sends the glass repair guy out and they fill it with resin.  As long as it passes state inspection, I don't plan to get the windshield replaced because it's just going to happen again.....

Thanks for the details on the driver assist features.  I know lots of us have been looking forward to hearing about it.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #10
Other option can be bluetooth speakers controlled by phone etc. Lot of options with speakers and powering via USB with 12V adaptor ..

Hi Linda;  Glad you are almost home. I hope the bigfoot install goes well. Great write up.  I have a TK, 1999 vintage, I didn't pick it up until 2000.  My seating is in the back and LD didn't know you could get remote controlled radios back then. To cure that self shutoff problem, you could just install another radio about midship, connected to the house battery. Radios are pretty inexpensive anymore. Probably could install better speakers. I did for the rear.  Happy Trails     RonB

Reply #11
I installed an Amazon fire stick on the tv and last night I just asked Alexa to play some music.  No commercials and better than a radio because I can be selective and skip songs..  Although, I think the tv could use a little better speaker setup
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #12
Congrats, Linda, and glad you made it back safely!  Have you figured out where to put the litter box yet? Our two cats want to know.  Look forward to seeing your photos!

Greg,
It looks like the shower will be the cat toilet room.  I was tempted to put it in the floor of the passenger seat, but that space is too narrow for any respectable litter box.  Between the seats while parked wouldn't be bad, but then I'd still have to lug it out of the shower and up front.  Easier to just leave it in the shower and pull it a few feet out when I want to use it.

Linda
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #13
Hi Linda and Greg;  A TK is even smaller. I put a sealing plastic disc, used to be a jar opener over the drain, and a 'rubber' bath mat over that, then the cat box.  The cat box goes in between the two front seats at shower time. The cats track some litter out through the door cut out, behind the driver seat pedestal. The mat keeps the box from sliding around, and the toilet a seat while I clean the box.
   In a midbath, and RB, you could put a door in the seat under the dinette, and then clean it outside. You'd lose that storage space. In the MB a cat door cut into the main bathroom door, and box inside the shower.  The RB, just keep the box in the shower, no need to cut any holes.    RonB

Reply #14
What is SIL?

IRDLA!

K
2001 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #16
Can't wait to see pictures of your new rig!  So exciting :D
Shawn and Randy Willmott

Reply #17
Greg, for our forever rig the cat litter will go in an external bin with an entry from inside.  This has been done many times with RV cat owners, but you have to remember to clean out the litter often since you don't get the obvious signals anymore.
It can be a storage bin accessed from the entry way steps (if one is close by).
Larry mentioned he had seen someone put it under a sofa/TK area (if I was doing that I would build a boxed in area so they could not get to the entire large bin area - we have a curious cat).
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #18
... driver assist package... Lane keeping assist can be turned on and off.  It is a dingle bell when you get too near the line markers.  If you hit it too many times, there is a message that suggests a coffee break. 

The adaptive cruise control...  Also, if you’re behind a slower vehicle, as soon as you put on a blinker to change lanes, it steps on the gas.

Linda, I also thank you for the great info on the drivers assist package.

That is a nice message if you get too many warnings from the lane assist.

Passing while on adaptive cruise control -- so how does that work?  I am used to turning on the blinker for a bit before you start changing lanes to warn people around you that you are moving.  So speeding up right away would not give time for that warning.   How did that work for you?

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #19

Passing while on adaptive cruise control -- so how does that work?  I am used to turning on the blinker for a bit before you start changing lanes to warn people around you that you are moving.  So speeding up right away would not give time for that warning.  How did that work for you?

Jane

As this is a big beast, stepping on the gas doesn't immediately put you at top speed.  It does close up the following distance a bit, but by the time I'm in the next lane it is like I had planned to pass the slow poke in front of me.

Linda
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #20
I have to correct myself.  Today I found, in the instrument panel menus, a place to switch to regular cruise control.  It's not done with one button on the fly, but about 4 clicks into the menu system puts you into a place to choose adaptive or regular cruise control.

I also found another assist...it's hill keeping assist.  If you're stopped on a hill, it will hold the brake for 2-3 seconds after you take your foot off the brake and switch to accelerator "until the rpm's are high enough" and then it releases the brake.  So no roll back on a steep hill when your foot moves from brake to gas.  I'm not positive this is with the assistant package, it may come standard.

Linda
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #21
Linda, I suspect that hill assist is part of the technology package.  Besides the adaptive cruise control, the one feature I find very valuable in my Outback is rear cross traffic alert which alerts to oncoming traffic behind you. It’s especially valuable in parking lots. I suspect that feature is not available in the motorhome package since the rear has been modified by Lazy Daze.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #22
Thanks for all the good info on the new packages. How did your 2 cats adapt to the rig? Do you keep them on leashes or let them roam free in the rig and when you open the door?
2015 MB

Reply #23
Linda, I suspect that hill assist is part of the technology package.  Besides the adaptive cruise control, the one feature I find very valuable in my Outback is rear cross traffic alert which alerts to oncoming traffic behind you. It’s especially valuable in parking lots. I suspect that feature is not available in the motorhome package since the rear has been modified by Lazy Daze.

Hill-assist is an old technology and maybe a standard item on the E450s now, Subaru has had it for years.
I too like the rear-cross traffic alarm, our new Wangler has it and has warned me a few times already, a nice feature that should eventually become an option or an after-market addition. It's as useful as the adaptive cruise control.
With the cross-traffic sensors located in the taillight assemblies, there is no reason why they couldn't be installed on a motorhome. That would be a great addition, when backing out of a parking spot, often there is no way to see what is approaching,with the rear camera's limited field of view.

As the auto manufacturers standardiize their entertainment/technology systems, the various safety systems will become available across their product lines. I would assume all the tech used in the new E450s comes directly from the F-series pickups, trucks today can be fully optioned, the same as luxury cars.

Multiple cameras are another safety feature that eventually should be available, the bird's-eye view camera systems some cars have would be very helpful and would help eliminate a lot of the small dings RVs accumulated, caused by the limited vision of the surroundings. Such camera systems are probably already available on high-end DPs.
The after-market is offering more camera systems every day.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #24
Multiple cameras are another safety feature that eventually should be available, the bird's-eye view camera systems some cars have would be very helpful and would help eliminate a lot of the small dings RVs accumulated, caused by the limited vision of the surroundings. Such camera systems are probably already available on high-end DPs.
The after-market is offering more camera systems every day.

Off -topic: I was reading the Thor Buys Tiffin thread  and watched a review of the acclaimed Tiffin Allegro 45 OPP Bus. It's a Taj Mahal behemoth on wheels. It comes with a live 360° exterior camera system that has both driver and passenger monitors.

Charles

Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King